torn meniscus (Read 1375 times)

I've had symptoms of a torn meniscus in my right knee for about 6 years now....I went to a doc when I was a freshman in college and he told me that's what it probably was (I can feel something pop out of my knee when I straighten it). He told me to lose weight, do some biking and get over it, essentially. I did work out and lost some weight, but my knee always stayed tempermental. I'm towards the upper range of a normal BMI. When I started running last spring I talked to another doctor about it, and she had me get an xray and just said it looked normal. At that point I gave up and just dropped the whole issue. It's generally not that painful - just stiff after I sit for a while and sometimes when I run, and sometimes feels weak when I walk. A couple of weeks ago I was lugging a duffle bag around the airport for an hour and I think I may have hurt it a little more then, because now it's more noticable when I'm walking. I'm wondering if I'm overcompensating during runs, too - I've been having some minor issues with my right ankle and left calf. Am I making a huge mistake by not pushing my doctor to look into it more? I've done some research and it looks like the only way to really fix it is surgery - and since it's not that painful, and I'm only 23, I don't know if I should go that route. But I am worried about other injuries as a result of this, especially when I increase my milage. Does anyone else have a torn meniscus they've opted not to fix?
      I was diagnosed with a torn meniscus when I broke my tibia plateau (top of tibia) and snapped my ACL skiing in 2003. Basically, I didn't know how to stop at the bottom of a hill, fell and pulvervized the top of my tibia. I was 36. Second and last time ever. Skiiing is bad. I had rehab and no surgery. Was told, no more long running. Listened to that a couple years, got heavy then decided thinner would be better and resumed running. Knock on wood, it's given me no problems. The first time I ran a 10 mile race (several years later) I did "feel" my knee a bit, but whether that was the meniscus or "just the race," I don't know. Hasn't really bothered me since and I've run a marathon. Doc actually told me if I was younger, then he'd consider surgery (again, I was the ancient age of 36. Depends, soft food, cataract glasses and all.) I was kinda irked at that, but now think it was probably good, if not for the reason he said. The less knives in you the better, I say. Always a risk under the knife, even if small. I figure I can always have surgery when I'm "older" if problems develop. As for you, heck, get a second opinion. Stress your fitness and goals and what you are/aren't willing to compromise on and see what can be done.
        I opted to fix mine. I put off surgery for about 2 months, thinking I could get it to a point were I could run again. It never happened. I had my knee scoped and within two weeks I started back with my training program. In addition to fixing my meniscus, they were also able to remove some loose cartiledge and repair some bone spurs. Definitely get a second opinion, but in my case I was sorry I waited those extra couple of months. I'm 39 and my knee has never felt better. Good luck.

The Greatest of All Time

If you have not already, have an MRI done. It's really the only way to confirm the clinical diagnosis. The surgery is non-invasive and someone your age should recover well following a short course of post-surgery physical therapy. For someone your age, I imagine you could be running in 6 weeks following surgery. If you do have a torn meniscus it will not get better on its own. It will become more problematic as you age and increase instability of the knee joint. You also can tear it further which will just make the eventual surgery and recovery period more involved. I am an attorney that practices in employment law and do a ton of workers' compensation cases. 90% of the injuries I deal with are knees, low backs, and shoulders. Therefore I have a pretty good working knowledge of these common type of orthopedic ailments and know the treatments, etc. If you value running at all, get an MRI.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.