What is a good marathon training program to follow? (Read 1103 times)

I'm a beginning runner training for my first half marathon, which I will run in late March. I'm already looking ahead, though, towards training for my first marathon, which I plan to run in the fall. I'm aware of at least three well-known training programs: Bob Glover, Jeff Galloway, and Hal Higdon. What are the pros and cons or each? How does one decide which to choose? Or are there other methods out there that are worth considering also?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

They are all fine. I used Higdon my first few times around the field.. No matter how strong you feel, start with the novice program.
        I've only used Hal's marathon guide...I used it last year for my first one and I'm using it again this year. It's easy to click on the link and see how much I have to run on any particular day. I don't have anything to compare it to but the simplicity of it works for me. I like that it's running miles a day and not complicated intervals or just timed runs without concern for distance. He does recommend running easy and tempo or pace days. I just run whatever I feel like running that day.

Jennifer mm#1231

JakeKnight

My advice: head to your library. Pick up every book by the major writers. Include Lydiard, Pfitzinger, and Daniels. At least. Read them all ... and notice the similarities and consistencies. Rather than worrying about this plan or that plan, notice the fundamentals they all share, and the reasons why. And then write your own plan, tailored for YOU. And if that's too complicated ... just go run. 4-5 times a week. Not too fast. Make sure you're only running hard (for you) a couple times per week. Add a long run, every week or two. Get the long run up to 18-20 miles. Taper in the last 3 weeks, just take it easy. The most important part: enjoy the marathon, and make your race report interesting. Bonus points if it has pictures.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Go Pre!

Well said as usual Jake!
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My advice: head to your library. Pick up every book by the major writers. Include Lydiard, Pfitzinger, and Daniels. At least.
              I think this is a good plan for your second marathon.
              just go run. 4-5 times a week. Not too fast. Make sure you're only running hard (for you) a couple times per week. Add a long run, every week or two. Get the long run up to 18-20 miles. Taper in the last 3 weeks, just take it easy. The most important part: enjoy the marathon, and make your race report interesting. Bonus points if it has pictures.
              I think this is a good plan for your first marathon.
              jimden

I've been using "The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer" to train for my first marathon. I'm about half-way through the 16 week program. The advice seems very sensible, the program is really simple, and there is a lot of attention paid to the psychological side (it's the text for a course jointly taught by the Psych and Phys Ed depts of the University of Northern Iowa).
                staypuff

You wouldnt happen to havea copy of the program from The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer