First car (Read 568 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As I was driving home from work after posting my last response I thought "dang, I should have said "oh wait, they have legs, they can walk to school!!!"....but you beat me to it. Big grin
    You know what they say about great minds! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You know what they say about great minds! Big grin
      Mine is just a little s-l-o-w-e-r. Tongue

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mine is just a little s-l-o-w-e-r. Tongue
        Mine's blonde...that probably gives us an equal handicap. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

GP160

My first car was a 1987 Chevy Celebrity. Bad paint, Bad wheels, worse ride...awful, but I loved it! I was 16 and my Grandfather sold it to me for $1. It had about 90,000 miles on it, but I didn't have to ride the cheese wagon! I worked all summer long to pay for the car insurance. My mom would take my paychecks and deposit them into a savings account. It was worth every hour bagging groceries at the local giant. If your son is willing to handle some responsability, a car can be a great teaching tool. Just as long as he keeps up his end of the bargain, I don't see a problem. Many kids are not good drivers at 16 years old. Most of the reportable crash reports I write at work are from inexperienced drivers. Most traffic tickets I issue are to young drivers. The majority of PA license holders who loose their licenses, are young, inexperienced drivers. So, If you do buy him a car, remember this: 1) When he screws up: Take the keys away 2) When he can't pay for gas/insurance: Take the keys away 3) When he gets his first traffic ticket: Take the keys away If you follow these simple rules, He will become a curteous, respectful, law obedient driver.
          Ironman Louisville 8-30-09

Another Passion

Our 16 year old has a '98 Plymouth Neon 4 door, purple at that, available for her use. We bought it a couple of years ago for my wife to kick around town in (we have a Chevy Tahoe that she had been driving which is not all that fuel efficient... surprise) and in anticipation of our oldest (my inspiration at upper left) to be able to drive as I have a company vehicle which she cannot drive and we didn't want her tooling around in the truck. We call the Neon the BarneyMobile. Big grin She pays for gas and the difference/increase in the insurance when she was added as a scheduled driver on our policy from what it was without her. My first car was a '71 Pontiac T37 that I inherited from my dead grandparents who lived in the U.P. It was actually a Lemans chasis, but it was so generic, they didn't even call it a Lemans. It had power-nothing, bench seats with springs, and a kickin' AM radio! I got my license on December 29th and was in an accident 2 days later on New Years Eve... alcohol and speed were a factor. The car I hit was a parked Volkswagen Scirocco (sp?) which I totalled. My car suffered not as much as a blemish. We called her Blue Thunder. I did eventually get an AM/FM stereo cassette player for it, a Sony at that, for Christmas the following year I think.

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

My first car was a 1986 Jeep CJ7. The last yr they made the CJ7 model, decided it was too high & narrow of a wheel base some safety commission said. It rocked! It was the last yr Jeeps were made for off-road instead of city streets IMO. My friends & I would take the top & doors off, grab a case of beer & head for the back roads & wooded trails! We'd run it where ever we could go until the engine was so wet it wouldn't run anymore. Then we'd drink the case, laugh until we were sober & the Jeep was dry, then finish our run. Follow all of this by a trip to the car wash & a power wash of the inside & undercarriage to get the mud out & you had one fantastic, farm kid Friday night!! Big grin Oh, the memories! It was a burnt orange/rust color with brick red interior & a huge eagle on the hood! The windshield leaked & I had to pull the floor plug out to keep my feet dry! I loved that Jeep & still curse my mother for making me sell it when I moved to the "big city" for college. She didn't think it was safe to drive around the city. Seriously...there were no mud holes, two track hills & trees in the city, she'd have been better off to hide it until I went to college!! I had to pay for the vehicle (actually, they bought it, I pd them), gas & maintenance (though some maintenance they helped out on). My parents paid for my insurance in high school & college, so long as 1. I kept my grades up to my normal standard's (A's & high B's) and 2. I didn't receive any tickets. And my mom is an insurance agent, so she ran MVR's on us every couple months just to make sure we weren't trying to hide tickets. I don't think getting your kid a car is a bad thing, but lay down some very clear rules & follow through with them. And I like the extra family car idea...I might have to use that in 7yrs. As I side note, I was always a no drinking & driving fanatic, still am. When we stalled out in the woods, one person always had to stay sober, not sober up!!
              So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3