Tyson Gay admits testing positive (Read 263 times)

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

bhearn

Damn.

Damn.

Yeah.  Double damn.  Sad  I thought he was one of the good ones.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Feeling the growl again

Yeah.  Double damn.  Sad  I thought he was one of the good ones.

Problem is, we will never know.  It appears he is claiming that he was compromised by the actions of another.  That may be true.  However this is an argument used so often in the past (from Deiter Bauman's toothpaste to saddle sore cream to estrogen in rainwater runoff splashing on a elite woman's shorts during a race) that it is impossible to know whether it is true or not unless they can conclusively prove the source of the contamination.

No link available, but I've read at least on account of athletes in enough fear of intentional spiking of their food/drink with banned substances at the Moscow Worlds that they are going to sealed foodstuffs to try and avoid it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

northernman

Fight The Future

Never thought of that before. What a way to get rid of a strong opponent. Spike their coffee with something banned....

Ya, I'm numb to this subject.

I'm not surprised.
                I wouldn't be surprised by any positive test by any athlete.

Apparently, it happens.

Apparently, it happens frequently.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Never thought of that before. What a way to get rid of a strong opponent. Spike their coffee with something banned....

I bet Lance wishes he had thought of that.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Asafa Powell and another Jamaican, Sherone Simpson, have also tested positive.

Possibly it could be said in hindsight that both men were running very fast times relative to the fact that both are over the age of 30. In the case of Powell and Simpson the banned substance was apparently a stimulant named Oxilofrine.

I think suspicion in the case of Gay is starting to centre around a physiotherapist brought in fairly recently to help solve a leg problem.

(This info based on links I followed from a posting on LR.) Apparently the nature of the banned substance in his case has not been disclosed by the USADA, and the B sample not yet tested to confirm.

Given Veronica Campbell Brown tested positive for a banned diuretic (masking agent) recently it has not been a great summer for sprinting.

My natural skepticism makes me wonder about Yohan Blake's physique, which I suppose is a rather weak basis for a suspicion....

I would have some concern after his astonishing performance on yesterday's stage of the Tour de France that Chris Froom may be next to test positive in cycling.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Feeling the growl again

I would have some concern after his astonishing performance on yesterday's stage of the Tour de France that Chris Froom may be next to test positive in cycling.

What is this "Tour" thing you speak of?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

bhearn

What is this "Tour" thing you speak of?

+1

OK, never mind the bike race thing!

(And my apologies to the missing "e"- my day for ignoring silent vowels....

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Feeling the growl again

OK, never mind the bike race thing!

(And my apologies to the missing "e"- my day for ignoring silent vowels....

My post was not intended as anything against you for bringing up cycling.  I used to follow le Tour rabidly, despite not being a serious cyclist.  Once the endemic doping got to a certain point, however, I became disillusioned enough that today I don't even know when it is going on.  Track is bad enough with the drugs but I still don't believe it is to the level of cycling.  Well, maybe the 100m, seems that and shot put have always been the worst.

My post was not intended as anything against you for bringing up cycling.  I used to follow le Tour rabidly, despite not being a serious cyclist.  Once the endemic doping got to a certain point, however, I became disillusioned enough that today I don't even know when it is going on.  Track is bad enough with the drugs but I still don't believe it is to the level of cycling.  Well, maybe the 100m, seems that and shot put have always been the worst.

Spaniel,

In all seriousness (and I'm not trying to start a huge debate on this...), would you ever get to the point where you're truly disillusioned by any athlete within any given sport?

Would you ever quit watching racing or sports all together if the cheaters run the show and are always a step ahead of the testing?

(I ask only because you mentioned your shift from watching the Tour once you became disillusioned.)

I haven't been a 'super fan' of any sport since 1993 (Toronto Blue Jays world series).

I haven't followed track & field since 1988 (Ben Johnson)

Maybe it's my age (mid life crisis) or my arrogance, but I've become a fan of myself and my ability to do what I didn't think I could before.
                              I'm not a fan of athletes.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel,

In all seriousness (and I'm not trying to start a huge debate on this...), would you ever get to the point where you're truly disillusioned by any athlete within any given sport?

Would you ever quit watching racing or sports all together if the cheaters run the show and are always a step ahead of the testing?

(I ask only because you mentioned your shift from watching the Tour once you became disillusioned.)

I haven't been a 'super fan' of any sport since 1993 (Toronto Blue Jays world series).

I haven't followed track & field since 1988 (Ben Johnson)

Maybe it's my age (mid life crisis) or my arrogance, but I've become a fan of myself and my ability to do what I didn't think I could before.
                                I'm not a fan of athletes.

Yes, I became disillusioned enough with all of cycling that I never follow any of it, ever.

I get lost in typical "guy conversations" about ball sports, because I don't follow any of them and typically only watch a few games a year.  They bore me.  Like you, I would rather be out doing my own sport.  It was not an accident that I ended up in a sport I don't need to get a posse together to do.

Would I ever quit watching long distance running?  Probably not, I am too close to it.  I ran it at a good enough level to know people personally who went to the Olympics/World Champs type events or were trying to get there.  Frankly many of them were too poor to dope (properly anyways).  I'm sure there are a few other Christian Hesch's out there bringing EPO up from Mexico but I do think there are enough clean athletes left in the sport that I can continue to enjoy it.

That said, other than following news stories, I typically only watch the Olympics and World Champs on TV.