Sponsorship & free gear (Read 1027 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Does anyone know the typical arrangement gear companies and runners have?  I realize ever one may be different, but surely there's a typically arrangement.

If say, you're sponsored by Nike:

- do you get free shoes replaced whenever you want?

- what happens when this year's model shoe doesn't work for you (size problems, blisters, etc)?

- Are you allowed to wear other people's gear during training? (say you like a Brooks trainer)

- tear a hole in your jacket; do they replace it?  Or do you need to buy a new one?

- do you need to wear the gear for a certain percentage of time?

I'm sure there are levels of sponsorship, and that you can agree to be a full walking billboard, or just have your feet owned by the swoosh.  I just wanted some of the details fleshed out.

If anyone has had, or has a sponsor, I'd really find it valuable if you described the agreement.

(no; so far nobody has contacted me about my bottom of the top 10% finishes in small-town local runs.  Still waiting!)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I am in no way affiliated with NB -  but I've seen this before.  At the bottom of that there is some reference to gear.  

https://sites.google.com/site/newbalanceboston/about-us-1/performance-standards

Why is it sideways?

The best way to get hooked up is through your local running store. You don't have to be fast (though it helps); you just need to be "known" and out there in the community. I'm sure, for example, that Trent could find a sponsorship from a local running store (if he didn't have to keep them all happy for his marathon that you may have heard about.)

If you are interested in this, just approach the store manager and ask them about their racing team.

Most agreements include a racing kit, warmups, etc. so that you can be a walking billboard at races and deep discounts (sometimes free) shoes.

DoppleBock

If you are on a USATF US National team ~ They (nike) own everything but you feet and you sunglasses.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

It varies wildly per contract. I can take a stab at some of these though.

Super elites will get a new pair of shoes probably every week. Others at least once per month. Anything less and you're probably in a club sponsorship.

Most shoe companies have enough models and widths that something appropriate better fit. If you're high up like Ritz or Hall, then the company will measure your foot, talk to you, etc. and get you a custom shoe.

You are not supposed to be seen in other companies' apparel outside of your home if you're smart. Some who have trained in others' gear do things like tear off the logo or replace it.

DoppleBock

This happens ~ Do not get caught with another logo!  Rip it off - Black it out - or better sew a swoosh on the other companies gear.

THis is much less true at the low level of nutrition sponsorships ~ Usually they give you free product ~ maybe a few travel dollars to be at an event they want you at ~ but many nutrition sponsored athleted cheat ... a lot.

You are not supposed to be seen in other companies' apparel outside of your home if you're smart. Some who have trained in others' gear do things like tear off the logo or replace it.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Best Present Ever

The best way to get hooked up is through your local running store. You don't have to be fast (though it helps); you just need to be "known" and out there in the community. I'm sure, for example, that Trent could find a sponsorship from a local running store (if he didn't have to keep them all happy for his marathon that you may have heard about.)

If you are interested in this, just approach the store manager and ask them about their racing team.

Most agreements include a racing kit, warmups, etc. so that you can be a walking billboard at races and deep discounts (sometimes free) shoes.

I'm not sure that's true everywhere.  I run with a lot of people who are really known around the community, many of whom have pretty fast times.  No one is sponsored.  We all spend many hours in our local running store and with the store owners, so if it was an option, I think we'd know.  (I know one of the store owners is sponsored -- she won the Marine Corps Marathon twice back in the day, and is still pretty speedy.)  

I know some trail runners who are sponsored.  They seem to have to write blogs in which they discuss the products they're given.  

xor

There is no typical, not really.

Some running stores have teams.  One of the posters on this here website is a member of the Fleet Feet Seattle team.  I dunno specifics, but I like their lime green shirts.

Some shoe/apparel companies sponsor not-elite athletes.  But the deals are different depending on the type of sponsorship.  For example, you can be a wear tester for Brooks. You can be on the Brooks ID team.  You can be on the Brooks racing team.  They are different.

Some nutrition companies sponsor not-elite athletes.  The gal I pace in 100s is also on the Fleet Feet Seattle team.  Recently, she got another sponsorship through Powerbar.  What she gets, what she's supposed to do, and the do's/don'ts are not exactly the same as others I've seen.

In many of these cases except 'wear testers' , it does help to be fast and have a running resume that includes stuff like "won race x", "placed in age group at x, y, and z" etc.  But not always required.

Aside from that, I've seen gyms sponsor runners.  Various corporate teams.  Insurance companies. Apparel companies that don't make shoes, like moeben.  I've seen running clubs provide financial support to the really fast runners in their clubs.

There is no typical.  Lots of opportunities.  It does pay to be fast (sometimes literally), but there are other opportunities.

If say, you're sponsored by Nike:

- do you get free shoes replaced whenever you want?

- what happens when this year's model shoe doesn't work for you (size problems, blisters, etc)?

- Are you allowed to wear other people's gear during training? (say you like a Brooks trainer)

- tear a hole in your jacket; do they replace it?  Or do you need to buy a new one?

- do you need to wear the gear for a certain percentage of time?

1) It depends; you have to be reasonable.

2) They usually have lots of models to choose from but that sort of depends on how you approach or be approached by them.  Are you hoping someone would come to you and offer their products or you're thinking about approaching them to see if they sponsor you?  If latter, you'd better pick the one that you like and trust.

3) That sort of defeats the purpose, wouldn't it?  What's the purpose of them sponsoring you then?  People still see you.

4) I'm not quite sure what you're trying to get at?  Do you throw away a perfectly nice jacket if you tear a hole?  I guess depends on how big the hole but that's kind of a waste, isn't it?  Did your mom ever teach you to fix a small hole or have you taken home economic class?

5) Again, if you're being sponsored by someone, why even ask such question?  You want their product but you don't want to use them/trust them or be helpful to them and support them? 

I'm sure there are levels of sponsorship, and that you can agree to be a full walking billboard, or just have your feet owned by the swoosh.  I just wanted some of the details fleshed out.

If anyone has had, or has a sponsor, I'd really find it valuable if you described the agreement.

(no; so far nobody has contacted me about my bottom of the top 10% finishes in small-town local runs.  Still waiting!)

Being VERY fast would help but that's not necessarily the purpose.  They want visibility.  Remember that miner from Chile who ran NYC marathon?  He got more publicity than the winner of the marathon.  Which one do you think the sponsor would more likely to cluster around?  It's not always the fastest guys that they sponsor; there are plenty of people who are doing good deeds, helping out some projects, be it locally or, well, wider spectrum.  Then it becomes a question of who do YOU want to be associated with and do they want to be associated with you and your project.   

We were at our favorite beer bar/cafe the other night, and I mentioned to the owner that my upcoming half marathon route will take me right in front of his place (on historic Route 66). He said, "Hey, let's get you a shirt and have it printed with our logo for the race!" Does this mean I'm sponsored? Big grin
                      stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

It sounds like it means you'll be buying Nip-Guards so you don't bloody up that free cotton shirt he's going to lay on you. Wink

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

1. I'm a girl. 2. I get to choose the shirt.

Feeling the growl again

I have seen sponsorships range everywhere from giving you a steep (50-70% off MSRP) discount on shoes, to free everything and enough shoes that you're giving them to buddies.

If I were sponsored by someone, I'd wear their stuff everywhere I reasonably could.  The better you do for them, the better they do for you.  Why do you think downhill ski races get their skis off so fast at the bottom of the hill and turn the ski logos towards the camera?

I doubt Meb would have chosen to win the marathon trials in Sketchers if he had free choice of anything....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills