Outer Banks running? (Read 952 times)

hey guys! I'm on vacation in the Outer Banks right now. I think my options for running are: 1. beach running, or 2. running alongside the highway. I like running on the beach, but - obv - it's hard, so I can't get in many miles. Running alongside the highway is.... boring. Does anyone know if any trails or anything exist at/ near Avon area? Thanks!
    2009: BQ?
      I had the same dilemma last week. I eventually settled on "1" and ran a lot less than normal. I figured it was an active vacation what with body surfing, chasing my kids in the water, making rescues etc so I just chilled and didn't stress about the lack of mileage.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Where in the OB? I was there 2 years ago and ran along the main road at 5 in the morning, before there was traffic. I also understand that there are now some greenways to run on.
          I was in Corolla, up the northern end. The main road (Rt. 12) wasn't bad for running, but boring and hot. The beach was better. I wasn't getting up at 5 a.m. on my vactaion. There was some kind of state park or something at the northern end of 12 about maybe 5 miles north of us but I didn't bother with that. I imagine any trails would have been all loose sand anyway, as everything else was.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

When I was there, I stayed in Corolla. I ran one day up to that park and back, about 13 miles total. It was on a main road at the time, but now I understand that there is a greenway/sidewalk. That would have been much better. Up on the park, I think it is open beach running for miles.
              There was some sidewalk, and in places the grass along the side of the road was flat and run-able which I only used if a cyclist was coming the other way or if I was passing other runners/walkers. But really the road was fine. It had a nice wide shoulder. My biggest problem while there was summoning the energy to run as I was totally worn out from spending 8 hours a day in the water with the kiddos. Here's the GPS tracks from a road run and a beach run. The funniest thing is the elevation profile on the beach--right on that zero line the whole time.

Runners run

We're in Avon. Thanks for the advice, guys. I checked out their local runner's club, but didn't see anything other than the beach. I think I'll just run on the beach, and know that even though I'm running less, I am getting a KILLER workout! Plus, I've been doing much push ups and lunges and squats here at the rental house. MTA: the highway running isn't bad --- the shoulder is really wide and motorists are generally curteous. It's just ... boring, ya know?
                  MTA: the highway running isn't bad --- the shoulder is really wide and motorists are generally curteous. It's just ... boring, ya know?
                  You city girls..... don't know how to take the curteous drivers huh? Smile My wife and I went to the Outer Banks on part of our honey moon- hope you guys are enjoying it.
                  http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                    Update: I did 4.1 miles on the beach today --- where the sand meets the water. It normally takes me around 35-36ish minutes.... today it took 43:15... Tongue Man, the sand is REALLY hard to run in, but a great workout!
                      You city girls..... don't know how to take the curteous drivers huh? Smile My wife and I went to the Outer Banks on part of our honey moon- hope you guys are enjoying it.
                      And no, we don't know how to take drivers that aren't flicking us off or firing gun shots at us Wink
                        Update: I did 4.1 miles on the beach today --- where the sand meets the water. It normally takes me around 35-36ish minutes.... today it took 43:15... Tongue Man, the sand is REALLY hard to run in, but a great workout!
                        How are the calf muscles this morning? Sore from running in the sand? We went to Panama City beack last year and I thought about running along the beach but ended up finding a park to run in. Turned out it was part of the Florida IM course.
                        http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                          I found the same running on Hilton Head in SC. Can't beat the view though! If I lived there, that is where I would run all the time.