Forums vs. User Groups (Read 871 times)

nm

Runners run

I like to think of the hurt locker as the gentler side of the swamp, without the friday threads and also where a lot of stunt running is setup (hence hurt locker?)
      bhearn

The already existing Marathon Training and Discussions group:

Thanks for the survey, Robert. I hope I didn't add to all this fragmentation with the "Dear Newcomers" thread.

I think it's getting to the point where (1) self-organization may no longer be sufficient here, and someone may need to step in and propose (anyone?) or mandate (eric) some more specific structure, and (2) it would be really nice to be able to see what the structure is without the kind of scouring that went into this analysis. E.g., just paging through all the existing forums to see what's there would take forever.

Feeling the growl again

So... just what is the difference supposed to be between the swamp and the hurtlocker? I see a lot of the usual suspects in both.

A read-through of the discussions or lurking would answer that question for you.  If I tried to explain it someone might take it wrong and (needlessly) get their feelings hurt.  It's just a different flavor.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

On On

A read-through of the discussions or lurking would answer that question for you.  If I tried to explain it someone might take it wrong and (needlessly) get their feelings hurt.  It's just a different flavor.

I agree that they are different but it would be hard to explain.  But in my mind I had those two groups as an example of why two trail running user groups could work.  They both could be about trail running but still have two different feelings.

coming from someone that lurks way more than he posts (at least any worthwhile posts)

A wholly different Marathon group I didn't know existed before one minute ago:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/CRMarathonTrainers/forum

I created this one when we came over from coolrunning. Jellyfish, bugs, evanflein, dgb2n and others were with it from the start. We have had an influx of runners world people join up and a few have posted. We welcome the fresh faces.

xor

While keeping the ol "choose your battles" idea in mind...

I don't really understand the need for two different-but-pretty-much identical trail running areas.  Sure, it allows for different views and flavors, but it may (hold that thought) reduce cross-pollination of opinions and information.  Seems like different views and flavors could be tolerated in the same group.

Why I said "may", though, and why this isn't really a (not real) battle I think needs to be fought... on the other hand, it just ain't tough to look in both groups.  That's cool.  I've been looking in trail running and ultra running for years, and they overlap (but are not the same).

Hurtlocker vs Swamp... yeah, I've lurked in both.  I must be dumb as a swamp stump, but I can't tell the difference other than there's some underlying something that played out in the past so now there's two groups.  Again, not a battle to fight, but it also ain't as "obvious" to me as it seems to be above.  Except for the fact that one is 2000 and one is 3650 now, so... moot.

Which brings us to all the marathoner hidey holes, "dailies", and race-goal threads some of which are basically "dailies".  Yikes.

Julia1971

As someone who joined RA years ago and never had any of this explained (not that I asked), this has all been very educational for me.  I didn't know there were all these conventions about the main forums and having your log public...  Maybe this information be a "sticky" or something?

I've checked out the user groups every now and then.  They do seem less active and/or very specific to certain people or running distances.  My interests/concerns when it comes to running are all over the place, so I think that's why I gravitated to the main forums rather than the user groups.  Like DB, I was actually interested in checking out some of the user groups now that we have all these new comers.  I think a "dailies"-type group might be kinda fun but I can see how they would clog up the general forums.  So, I'm going to check some of those groups out.  Thanks, SRL.

ETA: But, I'm still going to join the 2013 Sub-3:30 group on the main forum if we have one.  Of course.

Kalsarikännit

The HL is a place to set goals and talk about running, and there are other groups where it is nice to bullshit and not talk about running. That is it.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

I didn't know there were all these conventions about the main forums and having your log public...  Maybe this information be a "sticky" or something? 

Making your log public makes it easier for people who really care to give you a value-added answer to your question to be able to put it in the context of your training.  Sometimes seeing someone's log makes all the difference in providing the right answer.

That said, I'm not sure it's a "convention", I certainly don't think less of those without public logs.  I was a member here for almost 2 years, IIRC, before I made the transition to an online log.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Julia1971

Making your log public makes it easier for people who really care to give you a value-added answer to your question to be able to put it in the context of your training.  Sometimes seeing someone's log makes all the difference in providing the right answer.

That said, I'm not sure it's a "convention", I certainly don't think less of those without public logs.  I was a member here for almost 2 years, IIRC, before I made the transition to an online log.

Right. If you're asking for advice it's helpful to provide context and the log is a great way to do that. On race goal threads, though, I didn't realize that having an open log is the reason why people don't post regularly. I thought it was odd that people would join and then you wouldn't hear from them until they ran their race. I guess I was supposed to be log stalking them. I'd rather just check a thread to see how everyone is doing, though. So, now I know - user forums. FWIW, my log is private because I like taking obsessive notes that I may not want to world to see. I like to keep the crazy to myself mostly.
                        LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Right. If you're asking for advice it's helpful to provide context and the log is a great way to do that. On race goal threads, though, I didn't realize that having an open log is the reason why people don't post regularly. I thought it was odd that people would join and then you wouldn't hear from them until they ran their race. I guess I was supposed to be log stalking them. I'd rather just check a thread to see how everyone is doing, though. So, now I know - user forums. FWIW, my log is private because I like taking obsessive notes that I may not want to world to see. I like to keep the crazy to myself mostly.

Curiosity is piqued.  Now it's imperative that you make your log public. Wink

Julia1971

It was public for a year but I sanitized it for the viewing public. But, I'm sure the sub-3:30ers will vouch for me when I say it's clearly maintained by someone with perfectionist qualities... I should do log consulting. Or offer log make-overs!
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Aren't you due for a rest day?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It was public for a year but I sanitized it for the viewing public. But, I'm sure the sub-3:30ers will vouch for me when I say it's clearly maintained by someone with perfectionist qualities... I should do log consulting. Or offer log make-overs!

There is the keep notes private feature, if the raw data is what your public needs to see.