Disable horizontal scrolling in thread? (Read 60 times)

Cat Herder

Is there an option to disable horizontal scrolling when viewing a thread? I use a mouse-like device with four way scrolling instead of regular vertical scrolling, and it's very easy to flip the pages by mistake when I only want to scroll vertically to read the posts. (Facebook has the same problem...)

There's no horizontal scrolling when viewing forums, only when viewing a thread.

Thanks.

eric :)

What is your screen's resolution?  The forums pages have a fixed width and are optimized for 1024 pixels wide.  I am not able to produce a horizontal scroll bar in the thread but not in the topics list.  Can you include a screen shot so I can see what you see?  Also, which browser are you using?  It could be a browser rending problem as well.

What is your screen's resolution?  The forums pages have a fixed width and are optimized for 1024 pixels wide.  I am not able to produce a horizontal scroll bar in the thread but not in the topics list.  Can you include a screen shot so I can see what you see?  Also, which browser are you using?  It could be a browser rending problem as well.

I can confirm that Chrome at least gives a horizontal scroll bar in the topics list and when viewing a thread if you make the window sufficiently narrow. But that's working as intended, Shirley? If the content is specified as a fixed 1024px wide and the browser window is less than 1024 px wide, then you'd expect the browser to create a horizontal scroll bar for the window?

Cat Herder

Sorry, let me try to explainagain, I wasn't talking about horizontal scrollbars on the web page. What I meant is my mouse has a scrolling function that can scroll both vertically and horizontally. Normally the vertical scrolling is quite sensitive, so I just push up or down to scroll vertically. The horizontal scrolling is less sensitive, so if I really want to scroll horizontally, I have push left or right a bit harder, and the page goes left or right.

However, RA's forum seems to be far more sensitive than normal, so when I'm scrolling vertically to read the posts, I keep on accidentally going left and right and flipping to the previous or next page. I'm wondering if it's possible to disable this, or make it less sensitive?

an amazing likeness

Runningahead is just a web page rendered by your browser, as such it doesn't affect how your local mouse works.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Which mouse are you using?  It sounds like it is triggering keyboard events instead of mouse events because I added forum topic paging using the left and right arrow a while ago.  I think the proper solution is to to code your mouse to emit mouse events, which would fix all these issues you're having.

TJoseph

I have a logitech Anwhere MX mouse.  You can set all mouse functions through the SetPoint software that came with the mouse.  Microsoft mice have similar software called Intellipoint.

My mouse has separate back and forward buttons under where my thumb goes.  I love that feature. My scroll wheel can tilt for horizontal scroll but that is a different feature and I never use that.   I can disable or change any of these functions using the SetPoint software.  If you have a Windows OS, you can access the mouse setting through Control Panel.

Cat Herder

Which mouse are you using?  It sounds like it is triggering keyboard events instead of mouse events because I added forum topic paging using the left and right arrow a while ago.  I think the proper solution is to to code your mouse to emit mouse events, which would fix all these issues you're having.

Interesting. I'm using a Thinkpad Trackpoint device (the red nipple thingie), and it normally doesn't generate keyboard events. But I see now that it seems to be doing exactly that in web browsers.

I'll work on fixing that. Thanks!

Interesting. I'm using a Thinkpad Trackpoint device (the red nipple thingie), and it normally doesn't generate keyboard events. But I see now that it seems to be doing exactly that in web browsers.

I'll work on fixing that. Thanks!

I have a Thinkpad, which I use as my mobile development machine when I'm traveling and I love the J-Mouse!  It is so much more convenient than the touch pad.  I discovered only about a week or two ago that if you slide your finger on the right border of the touch pad, it will scroll the page vertically.  Maybe then you don't need to deal with IBM/Lenovo's vendorware.

Cat Herder

I have a Thinkpad, which I use as my mobile development machine when I'm traveling and I love the J-Mouse!  It is so much more convenient than the touch pad.  I discovered only about a week or two ago that if you slide your finger on the right border of the touch pad, it will scroll the page vertically.  Maybe then you don't need to deal with IBM/Lenovo's vendorware.

I have one of the new-fangled Thinkpads (X230) with the poorly designed touchpad so I always have it disabled. Sad  In my older Thinkpads I actually map different areas of the touchpad to do stuff like maximize windows or open certain applications.

For future reference: in Windows, Thinkpad Trackpoint behavior, especially scrolling behavior, can be edited in CUndecidedProgram Files\Synaptics\SynTP\TP4table.dat . Similar settings file exists too for other operating systems.