Just Started Running after 5 years, and back surgery 4 months ago! (Read 1444 times)

First day did 1.7 miles at a 11:00 min /mile pace. 2weeks later I am up to 4.2 miles but at a 12:55 mim/mile pace. I am 46 years old, overweight and out of shape. But I will keep on going and will hit the 5 mile mark this upcomming week.
    What we do in life, echo's in eternity. Maximus.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hwy, wow, that's awsome! When you're starting out, don't worry about time too much. And especially with recent back surgery you should be careful not to increase your milage too quickly. Are you working with a PT? Are they cool with your running program? I don't know much about how back surgeries and running interact but it seems like there's a potential for aggrivating something. Slow and easy does the trick, especially when you're starting out! Good luck, and welcome to running! Keep us posted on how it goes! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

All done with PT, so Im not concerned with that. I have never been a runner before, just ran to get in shape for Martial Arts. But I have been totaly out of shape for about 6 years and unable to do anything at all for the last 13 months due to Cancer and ruptured disks in my lower back. I had surgery last November for the Cancer and back surgery In January of this year, and I am so sick of being fat and out of shape! I was very suprised that I made it 1.7 miles the first day, so far only minor pain the first 2 weeks and am looking forward to this week to hit the 5 mile mark. I agree with the time comment, Im most interrested in increasing the miles each week. I plan on running 5 miles Monday and at least 3 more times within the week. I wont increase the miles anymore until I can do 5 miles at a 11:00 min /mile pace.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

I used to study taekwondo, before I tore my ACL doing that, and though I didn't run I thought I was in pretty good shape because I could put out a lot of effort during the class (certainly more than most of my peers!). After surgery and a couple of nearly sedentary years, I started running. As a runner, I have discovered that I have a lot of trouble with my aerobic base - for all practical purposes it doesn't exist! Looking back, I see how almost all the training we did was anaerobic - short, fast bursts of speed and power, nothing like the kind of effort that is required for running any distance. To build a solid aerobic base, I have learned, requires a lot of time at what a new runner like me considers an absurdly low level of effort. I've been researcing heart-rate training and am trying to put that knowledge to good use. If you continue to have problems reaching the distance you want at the time you want, you may want to look into this training method. There are a lot of trainers and books out there that work with heart-rate training, and I am by no means anywhere close to an expert on it. But it's worth looking in to, from what I've read. Good luck with your goals!

Just completed my first 5 mile run!!!!!!! 5.2 miles in 1:04:22 Big grin
              Congratulations! Five miles is a healthy run. At some point, you're going to have to change your user name Smile.
              My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
              Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Congratulation Running Man!!! That was a wonderful achievement. Please keep us posted with your progress. We'll be here cheering you on every step of the way.
                Wingz

Professional Noob

/wild cheering in the background!!!/ Whoot!

Thanks everyone! The day after my first 5 mile run I went out again and did 1.8 miles in 20:11 and I was beat! took the next day off and today just completed 5.2 miles in 1:08:21 ! Slower than Monday but at least I did it! Big grin All of your cheering really helps me to keep going, thank you again!
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

Remember you can't always run faster than the day before! And you'll need rest days too! Very important! Sounds like you're off to a good start! Smile Janell

After a day off I ran 5 miles in 1:03:05 Saturday, I took Sunday off and I am getting ready to go run now. I hope everyone had a good weekend and I will let you know what I get done today.
                          At 9:00 am it was already 82 degrees with 96% humidity! I could only run 2.5 miles No
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

Yuck. Heat and humidity stinks. Maybe I'll move to Alaska... Undecided Personally, I think 6:30 AM is the perfect time for running...

Today I went out at 7:15Am and ran 5 miles in 1:01:19, my best time so far! It was already 74 degrees and humid, but the sun was not beating down on me as bad. I started running on 5/8/06 and I have never steped on the scale since that day, I feel like I have lost some weight and will weight myself again on 6/8/06. That will give me a Month to see whats going on. Undecided
                                P.S. My Running Log is now open for your viewing. Big grin