I've Lost That Loving Feeling...? (Read 1577 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hey!  Black eye 

Just so you know, Ilene, I posed my question from a state that purportedly has no function other than to host I-80, so people can drive from OH to CA.

Queen of 3rd Place

Well, remember one thing: it's supposed to be fun. Or maybe that's "fun". Or at least mostly-wise.

Speaking of which, here's a fun thread, recounting experiences of fellow undertrained marathoners:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MMM/forum/260d2d7fb33c409ca0633a6bb1dbe96d/1

Ex runner

Just so you know, Ilene, I posed my question from a state that purportedly has no function other than to host I-80, so people can drive from OH to CA.

Yep, thats the concensus Big grin

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

#artbydmcbride

{{{Led lincoln's landlocked backwater in flyover land}}}

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

{{{Led lincoln's landlocked backwater in flyover land}}}

Big grin

So it seems the unofficial consensus is somewhere in between an enthusiastic, but cautionary "take it easy and try to finish just enjoying it!" and a hysterical, all-knowing-I've-been-there-before "don't run it, you're going to hurt yourself, and no one wants that, especially you!". Haha. Confused

I think I'm still gong to go for it (I'm an Aires and my mind is made up). I am heeding everyone's advice though, and grant you all full permission for a "told you so" should (running God's forbid) this turn out to be a bad race for me.

I'm dumb (for lack of a better word) enough to go for it, but I know I'm not dumb enough to try and keep going if I hurt myself or feel unsafe continuing the run on the day of the event.

After thinking about it all, hearing everyone's advice, opinion, experiences, etc. I've concluded to myself: it's not my first marathon, so not finishing or breaking a record isn't the end of the world if that's what happens. But not even trying would feel far worse to me than at least giving it my best and seeing where my best takes me!

Thanks again to everyone for the support and advice, it is great to hear! I will by all means come back with bells on with a post-race update!!!

2012: Just run.

PPS: Your back and forth banter all got my technical wheels turning here and I looked back at my last two marathons and my preparation for them both, curious to myself, "Exactly HOW unprepared am I for this thing in Portland??!"

My first marathon, my longest run in training was 18.5 and I never logged a week of miles that went above 21 or 22 miles. (I will add that I induced Achilles tendonitis - during that training, not during my marathon - and stupidly ran the marathon WITH it...was off my feet and in PT for about 3-4 months after, so I am now familiar with an injury and what NOT to do with one - happy to report the tendon has been absolutely fabulous this entire summer - please, reserve the jokes about it being because I've barely been running, LOL).

My longest run for my second marathon was 21 and I never logged a week during training for that one that went above 25 miles...I actually finished my second race slower than my first (the temps hit high 80's that day - 10/10/2010, one of the hottest on record) but was injury free. Didn't feel any easier, even without the throbbing tendon!

On average, in training for both races, I would do one long run a week (whether it be a step up or step down long run) paired with one shorter run, or two (on a good week).

***On a side note, I am a retail pharmacist and I work a schedule that rotates on a biweekly cycle. This means, one week (such as the week we just finished) I work 4 days (and those are 8-8 days, not 9-5's) and the alternate week, I work 3 days. This complicates any training plan, and to add insult to injury, I work every other weekend, Friday through Sunday, which means I lose two weekends a month and have no regularity to when I schedule long runs. I've thought numerous times about developing a "Marathon Training for the Retail Pharmacist" plan, also given that I don't get lunch breaks and most days of the week, my 10 minute hiatus from the bench is to wholly swallow a frozen Lean Cuisine entree. Sounds like I need a new job, not a new training plan! Ha, but I do love it. Anyways, now I'm just making excuses. But I feel I do need to defend myself and my sloppy training to a degree.***

Given my individual history, how unprepared (compared to myself) do I now seem for this race? 

Again, my entire post was more about my mental fortitude than lack of physical ability, however, you've all shifted my gears now!

I just can't help but ask, since I know everyone is different and we all prepare differently, I am curious if my background changes any of the cautionary posters' opinions or advice at all?

Anyways, now I'm just trying to convince myself that I'm not THAT underprepared and that it'll be okay...ha.

Thanks again!

-April Smile

dennrunner

You remind me of a student who gets a D and says, "I didn't study."  At least you'll probably complete the course.

That did happen to me.

Once.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So, how many of you folks have had "Lovin' Feeling" running through your head for the last week?  Thanks a lot, April!  Wink

Don't know about the song, but I kept thinking if I really ever loved running during my 12 miles yesterday.  The weather was perfect on a nice course, except that my legs did not get the memo.

northernman

Fight The Future

one of the great things about the internet is you get more opinions from random strangers that you ever expected (or usually wanted!). I can't resist now putting in my own two likely irrelevant cents. 

Not to be AT ALL critical, April, but your summary of your previous and current marathon training looks to me like long distance running is just not all that enjoyable for you. I agree you lead a busy life, but in truth, the majority of us here do also, and we manage to get in the runs - because we love to run! I often have 7:00 (or even sometimes 6 AM) meetings on days when my schedule calls for a 12 mile run. So I get up at 4 or earlier, to do the run. Perhaps sadly, running outside in the cold at 4:30 in the morning is often the high point of my day. 

There is nothing wrong with not wanting to run long distances (it is actually a sign of intelligence), but I don't see the attraction then of running marathons. Why force yourself to do something that just isn't fun? If I were you, I'd bag the race, get back as much $ as you can on hotels, etc, and develop the next great hobby. There are lots of fun things to do in life! 

Hey Northernman - I have to agree with you 100%! I do know I love running, but I have learned through the process of training for this third marathon, that I do not love marathons. Yes, the first race was new abd exciting and wonderful; "Wow! I did it!" Yes, the second was just as exciting; "Wow! Maybe this is going to be a thing for me!" But this summer, I suppose I had the bold realization, much like someone in a relationship that just isn't going to work out; "Wow. I don't really want to do this anymore." Through everyone's feedback, honest opinions and via my own internal reflection over the past week, I have realized I don't really have the distance bug like so many others do. It has been so enlightening to hear everyone's thoughts, even though some may have been more painful than others. Agsinst all advice, I'm still going to run this one, more so to bid farewell to the distance and honestly, having come to terms with and accepting my realization, I am far more at ease and truly excited for my race than I was just a week ago! Thanks again to all! Post race report will come for any who are interested. Smile

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think a lot of us are eagerly awaiting your report.  I kind of hope you and several of us are wrong, and you have a great race and realize you love marathons.  OTOH, if it's your farewell marathon, it's also a good thing, because you'll have a much better idea where you want to focus in the future.  In any case, best of luck!