Routes in Pheonix (Read 88 times)

I'll be in Pheonix at the end of August and would like to find a cool spot to run for 6-8 miles. Any suggestions for a cool place to run?

Feeling the growl again

It is unlikely you will find any place cool to run in Phoenix in late August.  Big grin

When I was in Scottsdale I had a couple good runs on some trails that went up into the hills northeast of Scottsdale.  They were accessible off of Shea Blvd east of the intersection with Frank Lloyd Wright.  Just watch out for the jumping cholla cactus.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

The best place for long runs is the Arizona canal.  All gravel and lots of runners and a lot of different access points.  Definitely want to get there by 5:30 to stave off the heat under the sun.

kcam

I see you have some activities related to Ultra running in your RA log which makes me think that you may, MAY, want to check out South Mountain Park for some awesome trails.  It's a mountain so it ain't "hills" and they've very technical but much fun. So much more interesting than city streets.   Here's a map of a run I did there quite some time ago.  I ran it in November and it was hot and dry then (85 deg), I imagine if you do it very, very early in the AM in August it might only be 85 at that time.  Water/hat/precautions etc absolutely required.

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/024544872e9d430ba99059a4954b92e2/workouts/3fc64ffa7afb43378e6e640626fec2b2#map

PS - the 'return' leg of the above run was on a trail called 'Desert Classic', this one though sandy/rocky was mostly level with a bunch of ups/downs but not the crazy climbing descending of some of the other stuff.  Might make a good out and back.

Strava's heatmaps maybe helpful or not, but they are cool so check it out:  http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#10/-112.21122/33.39729/yellow/run

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Cool? Phoenix? August?   Hahahaha

We have a great canal system, and wonder trail system surrounding the Phoenix area. The only thing I'd advise is start early and be done by 8 am. The direct sun here is intense.

You people have issues 

Feeling the growl again

The best place for long runs is the Arizona canal.  All gravel and lots of runners and a lot of different access points.  Definitely want to get there by 5:30 to stave off the heat under the sun.

I forgot about this one, I've run that too.  Second the recommendation.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks guys. I'll have to scout out South mountain. I'll be flying in during the afternoon so was thinking of talking the 5 mile walk/stroll around Tempe Lake during the heat of the day.

Maniac

Thanks guys. I'll have to scout out South mountain. I'll be flying in during the afternoon so was thinking of talking the 5 mile walk/stroll around Tempe Lake during the heat of the day.

Um.....Where are you from?  I'm asking in all seriousness....Because "heat of the day" here is deadly.  And I'm not kidding.  I've lived here for 16 years and I still can't get used to it. If you're from someplace warm, then you may be acclimated and it's no big deal.  However, if you're from someplace where "hot" in the summer is 85, then you might be in trouble. I started my 17 mile run at 4:45 this morning (when it was ironically 85 degrees) and was done around 8:00 (yes, I'm very slow).  Even at 8:00 it was brutal.

That being said....If you're talking about going out at like 7:00 PM when the sun isn't really beating down on you, it's tolerable.  Hot, but tolerable.  Go out there between 10:00 and 4:00, and you'd better have a ton of water.  And a cellphone.

As for running routes....There are tons around here.  Roads, trails, lots of flat stuff, even some hills on roads.  I've never run out at South Mountain, but I hear good things.  I live in the southeast valley so run trails out at San Tan Mountain.

Enjoy your visit!

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Thanks for the warning and it's well received. I'm no stranger to the heat. Here in North Carolina I've been running in the 85-90+ temps with high humidity with 7 mile minimum. My latest 50 mile run started at 90+ and barely cooled down from there overnight. For Tempe Lake it will be a walk, maybe even a partial ultra pace for parts and if feels too hot it will be a couple mile walk followed by a couple beers.

BeeRunB

Came across this 16 second video about Phoenix on Youtube this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE