Ray Bradbury is off on his long journey (Read 795 times)

xor

Ray Bradbury died.  He was 91.  I didn't like his stuff as much as some other authors' stuff, but way way more than many.

Anyway.  My hope is that he will seek out L Ron Hubbard and kick his ass.  Or send some martians after him.

I live a block away from the PNW headquarters of the S people.  They have a very impressive building.  I am somewhat tempted to walk in and ask the receptionist if they are a-skeered of this. 

BeeRunB

Loved his work.  Fahrenheit 451 was prophetic, and one of my favorite books. Something Wicked This Way Comes, I Sing The Body Electric, and The Martian Chronicles. All fun reads.  Cool

bhearn

Fuck.

Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, Bradbury... all gone now.

My hope is that he will seek out L Ron Hubbard and kick his ass.  Or send some martians after him.

+1. Because after all, Mars is Heaven!

I live a block away from the PNW headquarters of the S people.  They have a very impressive building.  I am somewhat tempted to walk in and ask the receptionist if they are a-skeered of this. 

I am sorry for you. My already high estimation of you will rise another few steps if you do this.

xor

It is a very impressive building, really.  The name across the top is lit up at night.

Everyone who goes in/out of that building is dressed super nice... lots of Men In Black (Blues Brothers without the hat) types walk around my neighborhood.

Of the various things S is known for, one is a rather aggressive policy of suing the pants off people who diss them.

I think they are amazing. 

And I don't want a visit from the Men in Black.

bhearn

And I don't want a visit from the Men in Black.

You definitely do not. I know a few people who have gotten on the wrong side of Scientology. Really, dangerously on the wrong side.

However. To really get on the wrong side of Scientology, you have to be an ex-Scientologist. You're just a potential preclear, or maybe a wog.

xor

Also in my neighborhood is the headquarters of F5.  And the North American HQ for Holland America cruise lines.

When people walk around the streets at lunch, it is really really easy to tell who is from F5 v S v Holland America.

(I also stumbled across a medical marijuana dispensary last week.  Huh.)

BeeRunB

Getting you this for Christmas. It's an e-meter. It will help you keep your mind clear of engrams. $3000.00+, so it's no small gift.

#artbydmcbride

I met Ray Bradbury once at a talk he gave at a library.  A very interesting man.   How he lived in Los Angeles all those years without ever driving a car baffles me.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

xor

I have kind of turned into the obituary guy.  Huh.  That's weird.

However, I hope this string has disproved the whole "rule of three" thing.

Here's a pithy bit from Ray and his three rules.  "Work is the only answer.  Get your work done. If that doesn't work, shut up and drink your gin.  And when all else fails, run like hell."

On the Scientology subject: years ago  the alternative weekly in Boston ran a tongue in cheek price comparison to the consumer of the various religions. I forget all the in between ones, but Scientology was the most expensive. $5000 or something to get "clear" (these are 1970's dollars)- the cheapest was Christianity- you can get a free bible from the Gideons.

Queen of 3rd Place

Let's toast the man with some Dandelion Wine. Smile

Ex runner

Bushrat Runner

On Tuesday, I saw in the news that Mars One is intending to establish a colony on Mars by 2023. Tuesday night, Ray Bradbury passed away. When I read about his death on Wednesday, I almost wondered whether he felt it was okay to go because one of his major dreams was being realized finally...maybe not, but it did cross my mind.

I saw Ray talk when I was in college, and he was utterly convinced that humans would make water from rocks, colonize Mars, and do great and wonderful things that we were inhibited from doing primarily by our inability to imagine them. A thoroughly engaging and radically optimistic guy. I loved Fahrenheit 451, but I like the Martian Chronicles even better.

Carry on...

bhearn

I haven't heard an official time of death, but it's possible he died during the Venus transit, which would be poetic.