Aerobic Training Started - ed4 - you there? (Read 663 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Right, coming back from injury is real tough, and I am finding it real hard, I have lost a lot of my cardio ability, so I am doing as Ed4 did, and have decided to go with all easy workouts. I started it tonight. Here ware my splits to keep my HR at an average of 153, and never above 155: 1 - 8:42 2 - 8:57 3 - 9:17 4 - 10:01 The thing is how on earth will I be able to run a longer run as my mile paces after 4 will be so slow. I found it hard to run this slow today, but the only positive thing I can say is that I felt really great when I came home, as for a change I felt refreshed. It just goes to show that I never run at an easy pace! I want to do a long run tomorrow, say 10 miles, easy pace. Does this mean that by mile 10 my pace will be almost walking speed? Hope to see an improvement over time. Feedback guys welcome.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

You will see an improvement over time. If you haven't already, you may want to check out the Low HR Training group here on RA. You may want to start a little slower - you may be able to go a little longer that way. Also, downhills are great for being able to pick up the pace some while keeping the HR where you want it.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I'm a firm believer in the easy workout. It's a staple of my training regimen. There is a time and a place for hard workouts, and that time and place is not every single workout. Or even most workouts.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

t_runner

If you can slow yourself down even more (believe me, I know how hard this is!), if you can just run the first half of your 10 miler with your HR in the low/mid 140's, you should have an easier time. I am actually quite jealous of how fast you can go, when I first started, I had miles in the 15-16 min/mile range. I've been doing similar training. In the beginning, I was stuck at about 4-5 miles before I couldn't keep my heart rate under control. Some of my long runs in the beginning, I went over my targeted rate (146), and just let it happen (I was training for a 10 mile race that I had already committed to, so I had to get the longer runs in). I did that for about 2 months, and it was still better than the way I was originally training, which was every run at too hard of intensity. After about 2 months of playing around with it, I switched as of November to all low heart rate, for a base building phase of a few months. In November, I have had several runs of 10-13 miles without difficulty holding my HR down the whole time. My easy pace I used to think was 10-11 min/mile, but increasing my mileage on that left me tired/injured/sick. Doing the low HR training, my easy pace has dropped from 15 min/mile to 13 min/mile (on a good day) just with 2 months of playing around with this, and one month of committing 100% to it. Of course, I am really hoping that continues to improve! I have learned a lot of good info on the Low HR group mentioned above also.
            There is a time and a place for hard workouts, and that time and place is not every single workout. Or even most workouts.
            I love you. Big grin
            "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
            Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Hey Eddy, my first workouts looked a lot like yours -- very similar paces and very similar drift over time. But there's hope! I can now go for about 10 miles with hardly any drift at all, at paces around 8:30. Here's my updated pace graph: The trend line shows my mile pace speeding up by about 18 seconds per month. I intend to see how low it can get before it levels out. Your body will adapt to the slower paces. As long as you're taking it easy anyway, this is a good time to be conscious of your form. Slow doesn't have to mean sloppy. But remember, your plan isn't to run slow, it's to run easy. And easy will get faster and faster. It just takes patience. The first three weeks are the hardest. After that you'll start seeing improvement and it's much easier to stay motivated.
              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                That's a sweet graph, Ed4. I'd love to make a similar one for myself. How'd you do it?

sean

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I wrote a Python script that grabs my log data from the site, parses out the parts I care about, and hands the data off to Gnuplot for the actual plotting. I'm happy to share if anyone is interested, but it's not exactly plug-and-play. In particular, the script is hard-coded to retrieve my data, and it would take some extra work to make that configurable. The design of Runningahead doesn't make this easy. If you're willing to do it by hand, you could export your running log to Excel to copy out the columns of interest, and then use Gnuplot manually generate a similar graph. I got tired of doing it by hand. Smile
                  Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                    I've never used gnuplot, but would love to copy and customize your script. Perhaps in a new thread? Sorry about the hijack, Eddy -- I'm sure you'll see improvement soon. As others say, it just takes time and patience. MTA: ed4, you there? (again) Tongue

sean