2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

No go on the moving colors since I would be highest number of the two.

Damaris

DaBurger

If moving around was easy, everyone'd start blue or orange XD

Know thyself.

Nasreddin Hoja

btw, for those of you that will be in town Friday night, the Halloween Parade will be in the Village.  IMO, it is not to be missed.

Goo, sent you a msg

ultramarathon/triathlete

It is true you can move back numbers (higher number than your bib) and move from one color to another.  They (NYRR) typically don't vocalize this too much because they are afraid people will move from Green (I think that's lower level bridge) to be on the top of the bridge.

But being on either the top or bottom deck of the bridge really does not change your day at all.  Everyone starts at the base of the bridge and runs to the bridge, then onto it (either top deck or lower deck) so your watch will capture a signal at the start of the race.  If you're on the lower level just run toward one of the sides of the bridge and you should keep your garmin signal.  Also, you won't get peed on from people above. The bridge is solid and massive.

Which ever level you're on, you should run to the left-most side (your left) of the bridge so you can have the best views of Manhattan in the distance.  You'll also see the barges below the bridge in the water, spraying multi colored water (red white and blue) into the air.  You'll also see the hovering helicopters.

As for pre-race morning at Staten Island.  You can hang out with anyone you want, regardless of coral start color or number.  There is the general athlete village area which is not any specific color and has a music stage, dunkin donuts, coffee, tea, bagels, etc.  OR you can hang in any of the colored coral areas up until they ask people to line up in their coral, at which point you have to show your bib to enter.   But before the line up time (which is announced quite a bit and in a dozen languages from the 100s of speakers all around the place) it's a free for all and you can hang out where ever you please. The only exceptions are probably media tents, the pacer tent, the local elite tent and wherever they stash the pros.   There usually is a big "open area" tent for anyone to go into which I think is in the general athlete village area.  But it fills quickly so if you want the shelter of that tent, get there quickly.

Regardless of where you hang out... bring warm throw away clothes and a garbage bag/newspaper to sit on in the wet dewy grass.  It's gonna be a cold morning.  It always is cold marathon sunday on Staten Island.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

btw, for those of you that will be in town Friday night, the Halloween Parade will be in the Village.  IMO, it is not to be missed.

Goo, sent you a msg

I second that.  I've gone a few times.  Pretty amazing and way over the top parade, outlandish and some extreme costumes --some people put a LOT of work into their outfits.  Some people put a lot of work into not wearing much of anything, either, lol.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It is true you can move back numbers (higher number than your bib) and move from one color to another.  They (NYRR) typically don't vocalize this too much because they are afraid people will move from Green (I think that's lower level bridge) to be on the top of the bridge.

But being on either the top or bottom deck of the bridge really does not change your day at all.  Everyone starts at the base of the bridge and runs to the bridge, then onto it (either top deck or lower deck) so your watch will capture a signal at the start of the race.  If you're on the lower level just run toward one of the sides of the bridge and you should keep your garmin signal.  Also, you won't get peed on from people above. The bridge is solid and massive.

Which ever level you're on, you should run to the left-most side (your left) of the bridge so you can have the best views of Manhattan in the distance.  You'll also see the barges below the bridge in the water, spraying multi colored water (red white and blue) into the air.  You'll also see the hovering helicopters.

As for pre-race morning at Staten Island.  You can hang out with anyone you want, regardless of coral start color or number.  There is the general athlete village area which is not any specific color and has a music stage, dunkin donuts, coffee, tea, bagels, etc.  OR you can hang in any of the colored coral areas up until they ask people to line up in their coral, at which point you have to show your bib to enter.   But before the line up time (which is announced quite a bit and in a dozen languages from the 100s of speakers all around the place) it's a free for all and you can hang out where ever you please. The only exceptions are probably media tents, the pacer tent, the local elite tent and wherever they stash the pros.   There usually is a big "open area" tent for anyone to go into which I think is in the general athlete village area.  But it fills quickly so if you want the shelter of that tent, get there quickly.

Regardless of where you hang out... bring warm throw away clothes and a garbage bag/newspaper to sit on in the wet dewy grass.  It's gonna be a cold morning.  It always is cold marathon sunday on Staten Island.

I agree.  I've done the race twice, in Green, without a problem.  I was just wondering if I could move to Orange or Blue to have a different view of the race (finally).

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Goo, sent you a msg

I travel on Saturday, boo.  This would have been fun.

Damaris

Julia1971

Guessing most of you have already seen this but I just saw it:  Bill Murray Trains for the New York City Marathon.  It's petty funny,

Nasreddin Hoja

Today, around the 24 mile mark.

Julia1971

senatj

I came across the finish line map today:

http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/sites/default/files/10172014Finish%20Map.pdf

The no-baggage runners get out at 77th, but then it shows a line down to 74th.  Do they really have this area cordoned off too?

Or can I meet friends on Central Park West?  They have that whole area shaded in blue - meaning no public access.    Do I have to walk over to Columbus to escape?

ok - I should have kept reading the web page:

Due to security restrictions and frozen zones, family and friends will not be able to access certain sections of the post-finish area in Central Park. Outside the park, Central Park West will not be accessible to the public from 65th Street and 86th Street, and the side streets will not be accessible from Central Park West to Columbus Avenue. We recommend meeting in Family Reunion (see below) or at another designated spot.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I came across the finish line map today:

http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/sites/default/files/10172014Finish%20Map.pdf

The no-baggage runners get out at 77th, but then it shows a line down to 74th.  Do they really have this area cordoned off too?

Or can I meet friends on Central Park West?  They have that whole area shaded in blue - meaning no public access.    Do I have to walk over to Columbus to escape?

ok - I should have kept reading the web page:

Due to security restrictions and frozen zones, family and friends will not be able to access certain sections of the post-finish area in Central Park. Outside the park, Central Park West will not be accessible to the public from 65th Street and 86th Street, and the side streets will not be accessible from Central Park West to Columbus Avenue. We recommend meeting in Family Reunion (see below) or at another designated spot.

Yeap.  I remember getting to finish, getting my medal and walking without a poncho for what seems like forever. Then, I got my poncho and walked for like seems like 30 minutes before I was able to join my husband at the family reunion area just outside the poncho exit.  It was LONG.  And from what I remembered, you couldn't get off anywhere before then.

Damaris

DaBurger

Yeap.  I remember getting to finish, getting my medal and walking without a poncho for what seems like forever. Then, I got my poncho and walked for like seems like 30 minutes before I was able to join my husband at the family reunion area just outside the poncho exit.  It was LONG.  And from what I remembered, you couldn't get off anywhere before then.

Is it long because it's far, or long because it's crowded?

Know thyself.

JPF

If I'm reading the map right, it says finish is at 67th St. and you can't get out until 77th -- and that's if you didn't check a bag.  If you have a low # bib and check, you get out all the way up at 85th.  I know NYC blocks are short, but that seems kind of far to me when you've just run a marathon.

Julia1971

It's long because it's far.  Like take another Gu at the finish line 'cause you're not done far.