Swimming (Read 1626 times)

clydesdale

Yeah that swimplan site wants you to pay for membership after 14 days no thanks.

xor

For a second, I was excited that BR might have started a "I wanna swim!" thread today.

Nah, it is from December.  Ah well.

Time to run.  And swim if I fall off the path and into the sound.

I am not sure I agree with some of the advice given so far  (kick drills, fins, etc..).  To improve your swimming you will find the most benefits from improving your efficiency; and that means taking less strokes; and making each stroke travel a longer distance.

Most of the techniques I have used have come from here :

http://www.totalimmersion.net/

(and the books).

First you need to get a baseline.  Count how many strokes you are taking each lap (either 25 m or 25 yds).  Unless you are at 12/13 strokes you have a lot of area for improvement.  I started at 22 and now I am at 14-16.

The key to taking less strokes is to glide more on each stroke; the drills on the website / book focus on 3 main areas.

1) Stretching your lead arm for each stroke

2) Rotating your body from side to side with your hips

3) Swimming "downhill"; and having the correct head position, slicing your arm into the water, etc...

I was skeptical at first; but my swimming has been improving consistently for the last 6 months after I started applying this.

b

Goals: 20:00 5K, 3:30 Marathon, Finish Marathon, 4:00 Marathon, Finish IronMan, 45:00 10K

HobbyJogger & HobbyRacer

Maybe your most important defect was overstroking -- but I'm not sure that it necessarily follows that that is true for everyone else.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I am not sure I agree with some of the advice given so far  (kick drills, fins, etc..).  To improve your swimming you will find the most benefits from improving your efficiency; and that means taking less strokes; and making each stroke travel a longer distance.

Most of the techniques I have used have come from here :

http://www.totalimmersion.net/

(and the books).

First you need to get a baseline.  Count how many strokes you are taking each lap (either 25 m or 25 yds).  Unless you are at 12/13 strokes you have a lot of area for improvement.  I started at 22 and now I am at 14-16.

The key to taking less strokes is to glide more on each stroke; the drills on the website / book focus on 3 main areas.

1) Stretching your lead arm for each stroke

2) Rotating your body from side to side with your hips

3) Swimming "downhill"; and having the correct head position, slicing your arm into the water, etc...

I was skeptical at first; but my swimming has been improving consistently for the last 6 months after I started applying this.

b

So that explains why I suck at swimming.  Granted I rarely swim, but I once counted my strokes and it was about 28.  I figure I'm hopeless, and I'll just stick with running. It doesn't require nearly as much thought.

Consistently Slow

So that explains why I suck at swimming.  Granted I rarely swim, but I once counted my strokes and it was about 28.  I figure I'm hopeless, and I'll just stick with running. It doesn't require nearly as much thought.

No,I suck. 45 meters. Count strokes? Who knew? Third time in a pool in 35+ years. Would like to do a race in 2011.

Run until the trail runs out.

2013***1500 miles

50 miler

Race Less Train More

Ana Trason  "Living Her Life"

"The Marble in The Groove"

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/