Hey guys its the fat guy again (Read 944 times)

Shane40

Ok you all have had great advice about my running and Im really starting to get into shape that way. For the Acadamy i also have to do pushups which is a breeze for me. Im now stuck on sit ups. I wanted to start now becasue my test is in 2.5 months. I went to do them today and it was hell. I dont even think I got one down right. HELP. What can I do to do these . I have to get at least 12 in a minute but would like to do at least 15-20 My problem is my belly I think. Its just still too big. Any advice on how to train for these. Im willing to do what it takes. Thanks so much

Slow-smooth-fast

Unfortunately there is no secret, you just need to get down and practice doing them. I started with 3 sets of 10 andworked up. I can now do 3 sets of 50. If you think your belly may be a problem then go on a diet..You have 10 weeks, and take it from me, you could lose more than 2 stone in that time. I did!

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

BaldMike

Eddy is right, there is no trick or substitute. Get down on the floor and get some knocked out. Situps have always been my weak spot, ALWAYS! I hate them, but you just have to suck it up and get down there and do them. They do get easier, although it never seems like it for me, but I know they do, because my numbers have increased. Only by doing them though. And by increasing your muscles in that area, that will help to burn off some more belly fat.
        PR 10k - 47: 41 in 2007, goal to break 45 minuntes in 2008 PR 13.1 - 1:44:19 PR 26.2 - 4:24 in 2007, goal to break 3:45 in March 2008 Upcoming races: March 2008 - ING GA Marathon July 2008 - Peachtree Road Race And hopefully the Marine Corps Marathon in October 2008.
        UpNorth

And by increasing your muscles in that area, that will help to burn off some more belly fat.
          That's a myth -- you can't spot burn fat -- but he is right, nothing is going to make you better at sit ups then doing them. However you could add some variations if you want. Knees-to-elbows (hanging from a bar), crunches, situps with feet anchored, situps unanchored, V-Ups, bicycles, incline situps, etc. Also, diet, not exercise, is the key to losing that belly fat. There are lots of ways to diet, low-fat, low-carb, zone, and endless fad diets. It doesn't matter what you choose, just pick one and stick to it.
          Gig

I used to use an ab roller, which helped me. I don't know it that would help you because 1) I was doing crunches, not sit ups, and 2) I was already able to do crunches without the ab roller, but it hurt my back to do them. The roller helped me with my form. I'm just throwing it out to the gallery to see if others think a roller would help. We know you've got the commitment, and that's the most important thing.
              Dragon Flags! http://youtube.com/watch?v=mjCMq2zkbOo Just kidding! (For now anyway) As others have said, just doing them, no matter how many you can muster, is going to your best bet. Just push yourself to do a couple more each day, and you will get there in no time. Here are a couple of other good movements you can do that don't require a gym. All of which will help the progress along. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/RectusAbdominis/WtHangingLegHipRaise.html http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Obliques/WtSideCrunch.html http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/Superman.html And my last bit of advice. Make sure your diet is not too extreme, its very difficult to build muscle when living at an extreme caloric deficit! Slow and steady wins the race, a pound or two a week is what I would shoot for. Some weeks might be more, but some might be less, just keep busting your a**!

Running safely

Of course in the end you want to do them right with good form. But for right now, just banging out what you can will get you started. When I start with a new ab exercise I know I am not doing them right always. But, as I get more fit and practiced on that particular move I am able to do it better and get more benefit from the work. Obviously you have to be careful to not hurt yourself. There is a reason that there is a right and wrong way to do an exercise. Sometimes the right way is the right way because it gives you the best workout. Sometime the right way is the right way because doing it any other way can cause injuries. You have to be able to distinguish between the two.
                  to help you get started why not try doing them on a swiss ball? they are not expensive and can help with the technique until you can do them on the floor. i sucked at the press ups for my PAT. crikey i had to crank them out every morning to get my numbers up. keep on at it all mate. you'll be right.
                  free happiness with every moment!
                    Lay on your back with your hands at your sides (palms to floor.) Lift your legs SLOWLY about 6" off the floor and hold them for a few seconds. Repeat. As you can do more, try to hold them longer. Make sure you BREATHE while you're holding them up. This is no substitute for the real sit-up, but it's something to start the process while you work on losing weight.
                    I wish my lawn was emo...
                      Diet should definitely be your focus. Exercises like running and sit-ups will definitely become easier as you lose weight but exercise alone won't do much to contribute to weight loss. Exercise of any kind must be combined with good eating habits in order to lose weight. It's a heck of a lot more effective to limit the calories you consume than it is to try and burn them off after they've been converted to fat. Tom