Bike Trailer (Read 117 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I have a jogging stroller that I use a lot, even to race with. But I want to start biking more and figured pulling my twins would be a good workout.

I'm looking for something that can carry two 20 month olds. I've looked at Burley, Instep, Chariot, etc. They all seem about the same to me.

Anyone with experience using one of these suckers want to chime in?

Also, can I hook it up to my single speed bike -Felt Brougham (I'm not sure how they attach). I doubt it's good for carbon frames so that rules out my other bikes.

Also, do kids REALLY need helmets in these things? All the pics I see (even of people online posting pics, not just the company websites) shows the kids with helmets, Strapped in with the 5 point harness and the roll cage seems like it would rule out the need for a helmet, no?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

rmcj001

We used a burley to tow our kids, before switching to a tandem trail-a-bike.  The Burley just clamps on to the frame where the chain stay meets the seat stay - not sure why that wouldn't work on a carbon frame.  I know the tandem trail-a-bike attached to the seat post.  I think at least once we had a tandem bike with the tandem trail-a-bike followed by the burley trailer.  Of, course, there was the one time we just had the trail-a-bike and our older son (4 or 5 at the time) decided there was something on the side of the road more interesting and he just jumped off to go investigate...those were the days.  It has been awhile, older son is now almost 23 - so, things have probably changed a bit since then...

Ray

joescott

I've used a Burley for many years and now that my oldest kids are all in junior and senior high school I'm looking to sell it -- so I'll make you a good deal!  Seriously, though, I liked the Burley a lot *as a bike trailer*.  I never liked it as a running stroller (mine has a front wheel attachment to let it serve in that role).

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

xhristopher

I was happy with Burley. If you don't want to clamp it to your frame you can buy a special skewer to run through your axel and attach to the trailer.

It will fit your single speed but you may end up walking the hills. I always used my mountain bike and crawled up the steeper hills in the granny gear.

As for the helmet... It's law in NY and NJ for them. You only need a helmet if you have something worth protecting. You may not feel that way about yourself but I hope you give the kiddos the benefit of the doubt. A couple years ago I was hit by a car and thrown 20-30 feet landing on my shoulders and head. My helmet shattered and probably saved me from serious injury or worse. Due to this it's my opinion that people who don't use helmets are fools.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Also, do kids REALLY need helmets in these things? All the pics I see (even of people online posting pics, not just the company websites) shows the kids with helmets, Strapped in with the 5 point harness and the roll cage seems like it would rule out the need for a helmet, no?

Can't help you with the trailer questions.  Your kids, however, need helmets.  Even in the 5-point harness and roll cage they can still wind up with a head injury.  What's more is that it gets them in the habit early of wearing a helmet to go ride.

State or local law may dictate helmet use.  But really, this is common sense.  No, a helmet may not prevent an accident.  A helmet may not prevent an injury.  But if you're looking at a total safety package it's important in that it can help reduce the effects of head injuries.

This link provides info on which states mandate bicycle helmet use (along with which ones mandate motorcycle helmet use).  It does not track local laws so double check before heading out.

And as someone who sees kids when they roll into the ER after bicycle accidents I'm asking you to please put helmets on your kids.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

I have an instep that I bought at Target for my now almost 11 year old. I still use it to haul groceries and other stuff. It holds up to 100lbs and has a piece that hooks up on the rear drop. I tow it with a carbon frame Fuji road bike no problem and have done so for years. Cheap too Smile

Hi! The only times I bike instead of run I use our bike trailer or tandem trail-a-bike to take the kiddos out.

Over the years we've owned 3. We owned 2 Burleys & an Instep. Both clamped to the frame unlike the trail-a-bike that uses the seat post. They both handled about the same as far as towing goes. I don't enjoy cycling, but I've easily towed kids weighing 100lbs total. The tow ability doesn't seem to be affected by an unbalanced load.

Both could be used as a stroller. I thought both were terrible as jogging strollers, but not bad for just walking with. Could be that because my kids were all 12-20 months apart instead of twins their weight wasn't evenly balanced. Could be I'm just a wimp who can't run whilst pushing 2 kids in a stroller.

I do make my children wear helmets whenever they ride. I think it's a good safety habit for them to get into. They move from buggy, to the tandem, to their own bikes, and they use helmets from day one. You want a bike ride, you wear your helmet. Though the kids don't seem to mind the cars, I'm often alarmed at how closely cars pass us. Were an accident to occur I'd want to know I did everything I could to keep them safe.

Happy riding!

catwhoorg

Labrat

Only one little girl here, but I use a weehoo iGo recumbent tag-a-long.

She has pedals to help (and even not quite 3 she does make a bit of a difference)

They do make a double version

Max total weight is 100lbs

(link to website)

I liked it because she is restrained well, even if she falls asleep (which she did when she was a bit younger).

And I agree with Cookie.

HELMETS ARE A MUST.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

ultramarathon/triathlete

As for the helmet... It's law in NY and NJ for them. You only need a helmet if you have something worth protecting. You may not feel that way about yourself but I hope you give the kiddos the benefit of the doubt. A couple years ago I was hit by a car and thrown 20-30 feet landing on my shoulders and head. My helmet shattered and probably saved me from serious injury or worse. Due to this it's my opinion that people who don't use helmets are fools.

Don't get me wrong, I ALWAYS wear a helmet when I bike.  It just seemed odd to put one on my kids when I'll only be riding in a park when closed to traffic and not too fast.  If they were on a bike or even scooter (when they are big enough) they will have helmets.  But the bike trailers have harness systems and roll cages.  I wouldn't put a helmet on them if they were in a car (though they'd be in a car seat).

Anyway, I'm sure my wife would make the helmet mandatory, but I was just questioning the actual need.  So don't worry, they will be wearing helmets.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team