Today's 14.5-mile commute to work...on foot (Read 940 times)

va

Do you 2000-milers even sweat when you run? I can remember one discouraging event when I started running this past summer. I was at the high school outdoor track, doing laps, really slowly, with great effort, and my t-shirt was completely soaked-through with sweat. I see another runner, in the distance, running on a nearby road, coming towards the high school. Sure enough, he runs onto the track, runs one lap, and then heads back onto the road, going wherever he is going. The scary thing was that he hadn't even broken a sweat. His shirt was completely dry. I thought to myself that this guy must be in really good shape.
      1) How am I going to catch you if you keep doing crap like this? Aren't you due to start tapering for something soon?
      Don't worry, this will be my longest run of the week, maybe the month. No on the tapering, however. If I taper for anything this year it will be a fall marathon.
      2) Ain't it hard to find good running routes into a major city? The thought of trying to run into downtown Nashville gives me the creeping horrors. (Yes, Nashvillians, I could take Hwy70/West End the whole way, but that doesn't seem very appealing).
      One of the benefits of living in a metro area where the roads are built on top of 17th century cow paths is that it is extremely walkable and runnable (is that a word?) Driving is a nightmare, but it is pretty easy to run and walk in Boston.
      3) And the biggie - where do you carry your briefcase?
      It did take a bit of planning. I left my laptop at the office and also brought in a bag of cloths yesterday. So the only things I carried with me were my cell phone and a mini wallet.

Runners run

VA123, I think sweating is a good thing. It's a sign your body has a good cooling unit. My body breaks a sweat even when it's below 32F.

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

VA123, I think sweating is a good thing. It's a sign your body has a good cooling unit. My body breaks a sweat even when it's below 32F.
          Windchill was -1 yesterday and I still was pretty soaked when I came home. We're a pretty sweaty bunch in my family. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I start to sweat pretty quick, too. Which made my PT doc think I was pushing myself on the treadmill.
              No fair, getting to get your run in, getting yourself to work, and saving on the environment all at once!! It would only take me 5 minutes to run to my work since it is just about six blocks away. I might not even break a sweat for that run. But seeing that I am never just going to work and back I can't really make it happen. I am always dropping kids off, picking kids up, going to the bank, store etc...And NO, I will not carry the kids on my back while I run...that would look really really silly and I would break a sweat for sure then.

Michelle

gimme some sugar, baby

Mike... you are awesome. That is the best idea ever. Not only do you save money on gas and save the planet, but you get your commute AND long run out of the way at once. Way to be efficient.
                George: Runner/Law Student
                www.gimme-five.com
                  Same boat here - forced to, lost company vehicle and not interested in getting second car loan so I beat feet everywhere. 5 miles to the firehouse is the quickest way. I am lucky and live on a coastal area so as the weather warms up, I will be increasing the mileage. I leave house by 5:30 to 6:00 am to be at the station by 7 and then shower and change. Do the same for the run home, we work 3 days on and 3 days off 3 nights on, so I am running at different times of the day. One thing that I love about this is that it has taught me to dress correctly and also to plan. I bring everything I need in a back pack, clothes, food, etc. Heaviest pack to date was 17 pounds ( i forgot to leave my work shoes in my locker) Just give me my ipod and my headlight and off I go.
                    I bring everything I need in a back pack, clothes, food, etc. Heaviest pack to date was 17 pounds ( i forgot to leave my work shoes in my locker)
                    Now that is pretty hard core. Both ways and carrying a pack. You must feel like you can fly on the days you get to run without a pack. Today's run was pretty good. Went a slightly more direct route and went a little slower since I was tired and it was effing cold out there--though still the warmest day this week, which is why I did the run in on Thurs instead of Wed this week.

Runners run

Wasatch Speedgoat

I did that for years when I lived outside of Boston...probably from around the late 70's to the mid 90's would run to and from Cambridge to and from Medford. Regular 100 mile weeks were easy...it's a great way to get in the miles! Off of that training just running 5 miles each way, I ran sub 2:50 marathons and a 4:55 mile. All off of base training. My sig says it all...

Life is short, play hard!

Me and my gang in Breck

Now that is pretty hard core. Both ways and carrying a pack. You must feel like you can fly on the days you get to run without a pack. Today's run was pretty good. Went a slightly more direct route and went a little slower since I was tired and it was effing cold out there--though still the warmest day this week, which is why I did the run in on Thurs instead of Wed this week.
                        Mikey you rock. It was the warmest day of the week but it was still wicked cold. It's gonna warm up to 50 on Sat. and Sun. Nice job this morning.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

sub 2:50 marathons and a 4:55 mile...
                          Nice! In fact those are roughly my goals for the next year or so. Yeah Mark it was cold...funny how 10 can feel warm when you've run in 5 and 2 the last couple days. I'm gonna run naked on Saturday if it really hits 50.

Runners run

Me and my gang in Breck

I'm gonna run naked on Saturday if it really hits 50. Cool! I'll be checking the Globe and the Herald on Monday for the story.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Wasatch Speedgoat

Nice! In fact those are roughly my goals for the next year or so.
                              That was a LOOOOOONG time ago...I'm now a tired older man who still thinks he's a young runner. Dead

Life is short, play hard!