2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

No Talent Drips

To all 2011 sub 3 hour aspirants,

Just curious what kind of weekly mileage you think it will take to achieve your goal.  Personally, I'll probably peak at 60-65 miles and will average 40-50 for most of my training.  I'm pretty sure my body couldn't handle more than that.

I'm right in the same ball park as you...will peak at 70 and will shoot to average around 45. Lots of hills throughout, with an emphasis on hills late on long runs.  Somewhere on this site, someone mentioned attacking the Newton Hills; I'm going to give that a shot this year. Just keep telling myself that "hills are like candy for runners".

Dei Gratia

DoppleBock

I would guess most runners should be able to be successful running 50-70 MPW with the right workouts within those 50-70 MPW ... as long as they are genetically blessed with a body to do a sub 3:00

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Everytime I tried a new mileage, I failed once, falling apart from the new distance and then succeeded the 2nd time. 

Same here,  It takes a few attempts to hit the next bump in miles.   

Mile wise.  I should average in the 60's and peak into the mid 70's.   

Granted I won't even start my buildup until I've got 6 months of 200+ in for 2011  and another 4000+ miles over the previous 2 years.     Each time I attempt the distance, the more and more I become a believer that Base Miles + Buildup / Training + Genetics are all the key factors. 

bhearn

Everytime I tried a new mileage, I failed once, falling apart from the new distance and then succeeded the 2nd time. 

Same here. Last marathon I raced, Boston '09, I used Pfitzinger 55-70, and ran 2:59:08. I'd tried the 70-mpw plan once before, and had to back off; this time I was able to pretty much follow the schedule.

I'm hoping to follow the 70-85 plan for Boston '11 (which actually peaks at 87 mpw). But I think I have likely been too slow to start my mileage buildup; I've been at 30-40 mpw for quite a while now. I've only got 3 weeks left to ramp up before it's time to start the 18-week plan. My strength is that the long runs won't wipe me out; I've been holding to a marathon per 3-4 weeks, with occasional doubles. The speedwork is another matter. I have a feeling I'm going to be seeing a lot of my physiotherapist the next few months.

I'm planning on 45, 50, 55 miles the next 3 weeks; the plan starts at 65. It's gonna be a challenge.

joescott

I would guess most runners should be able to be successful running 50-70 MPW with the right workouts within those 50-70 MPW ... as long as they are genetically blessed with a body to do a sub 3:00

Spot on, I'd say.  Especially if "right workouts" part is followed.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Just curious what kind of weekly mileage you think it will take to achieve your goal.  Personally, I'll probably peak at 60-65 miles and will average 40-50 for most of my training.  I'm pretty sure my body couldn't handle more than that.

This year I averaged 50 and peaked at 70 during the 15 weeks up to the marathon.

I'm now running 50+ regularly, and hope to end up averaging 70ish and peaking at around 90 for New York.

My 2010 plan (pre-injury) was to average 65-70 and peak at 75. For 2011 I'm planning on sticking close to 2010 with 60-70 but adding more biking for cross-training; I have to feel it out yet. 

From reading others I'm excited to see if the base from late 2009 and 2010 start paying off. 

Want to average mid 70's peaking in the low 80's every 3 weeks. Feeling stronger already in the mid 60's the past 2 weeks. Push into the 70's this week.

Get off my porch

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I am keeping my base between 60 - 70 and will peak between 100-110.  This worked well for Indy.  Starting in December I plan to get more speed work in and keep my easy runs flat and in January/Feb I will start to increase the mileage and throw in hills.  Then in March it will all be about the hills. 

Thanks for the adive on training on running downhill.  This is very good advice.  I'm not worried about the hills and the end but being in good enough shape to tackle them.  I've not felt strong for any races since Indy so I am wondering if 3 hours is very realistic.  Still plenty of time.  I want to get a lot more runs in at 7 min pace. 

Also thanks for the wrist band.  I don't know why but I feel like the paces on that band I could run. 

2011 Goals:
                      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Also thanks for the wrist band.  I don't know why but I feel like the paces on that band I could run. 

In Boston, the biggest challenge for most is keeping the pace slow enough in the early part of the run.  Easier said than done.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

greetings. please add me to the list of hopefuls. I have been running for about 10 years. Best marathon was in 2001 with a 3:06 race. I have run 7 more since mostly for fun. Started getting serious this year about going sub 3. I am planning on running vegas this weekend and hope to run around 6:40 pace or 1: 28. My goal is to go sub 3 this spring. Look forward to hearing about everyones training plans and goals. 

My goal is to go sub 3 this spring.

Which race? Smile

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

probably lincoln,ne. its flat and fast

its may 1st. thanks for keeping track clive

Feeling the growl again

Starting pretty much now, I'd better start getting over 80 every week, average around 90 and top out at 105-110 mpw.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills