10k or HM? (Read 924 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

DO IT, you know you wanna... Personally, I need the committment to motivate me...sign up for the HM and go for it! You can do it! Woot! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Finished!

DO IT, you know you wanna... Personally, I need the committment to motivate me...sign up for the HM and go for it! You can do it! Woot!
      LOL - you guys know how to push a girl Wink I'm leaning towards the HM because I am definitely motivated by the challenge - I know without having the 5k race scheduled for me, I would probably not be where I am with my training!
      Walk + Jog = wog.
      I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
      I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
      JakeKnight

The HM distance is a typical hiking distance for me -.
        Well, geez - then this is a no-brainer. Of course you should do the half. Not everybody out there can walk 13 miles, you know. Or even 1 mile. Or even to the mailbox. For what it's worth, when I ran my prior marathon PR, I had basically no training. One 10-mile run, and one 13-mile run. Never ran further. But by chance I'd picked up one of Galloway's books shortly before the race, so I figured I'd walk a minute a mile and maybe survive. The result was 10 minutes FASTER than my first marathon - and I ran every step of that one. And yes, I've told that story before. Smile Your goals for your now-definite half marathon should be: 1) have fun, 2) finish, 3) meet a time goal. In that order. And maybe skip the last one. But if you do decide to go for time, don't think that walking necessarily slows you down. My CURRENT best time in my regular 7-mile run came from an easy run where I was walking a minute or two per mile. It was a 3:00 minute PR, in fact. I had several slower runs at the same distance with no walking. Besides, if you make walking a part of your strategy rather than something to avoid, you may find yourself walking less than you would have otherwise. For me, I find that when I schedule walk breaks on tough days, I often run right through them anyway. Just do whatever feels best, is most enjoyable ... and fastest. What was your 5-k time?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Finished!

What was your 5-k time?
          LOL - I don't know - I'll tell you on Sunday or Monday - whenever the chip times get posted after the race Wink As for the walking, hiking endurance is definitely not much of an issue - except when my feet decide they are being soft and start complaining about the rocks - I've always done longer hikes and lament the fact that most books have 3-5 mi length hikes with an 8 miler being considred "long". It always cracks me up when we sign up for a hike at the grand canyon and the backcountry rangers send us what I refer to as the "death paper" that says something along the lines of "you do realize that the mileage you are proposing typically results in people not following their itineary and is risky...and oh by the way, please list all this info so we can ID your party when you don't come back as expected"
          Walk + Jog = wog.
            HM HM HM HM HM. Mostly because I'm shooting for it too. Same race and everything! Hah.

Finished!

5k finished Smile I'm waiting for the official results to come in. In the excitement, I forgot to press stop on my watch. Looks like if I train for the HM and don't do as well as I hope, the Irongirl Event will be back in March, so I can try to do the 10mi race then LOL
              Walk + Jog = wog.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My husband, btw, is happy with this new obsession, though he thinks I've lost it.
                Heh...sounds like our hubbies are in the same boat. Of course, I've long been happy with my DH's cycling obsession, so it's only fair he reciprocate. And my sport will still always be cheaper than his...I notice he's not really encouraging me to look at road bikes for myself, anymore (not that I'd really have time--running certainly takes up what spare kid-free time I do have). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

RunningHammer

I say trust those endorphins, sprite! Your current long run is 4.3 miles (7km), and you want to run 13.1 miles (21km) and you've got about 11 weeks or so? Well in July this year i could only struggle to run a mile (1.6km) - 3 months later i ran 10 miles (16km) in a time i didn't think i could...and a month later than that i ran my first HM. Before i raced the 10 miler, the furthest i'd run in training was 8 miles - and in the weeks before the HM the furthest i'd run in training was 11 miles. I also lost 2.5 stone (35.5 lbs) between August and September which helped with the race times but i wouldn't recommend that as a training strategy. Wink Nevertheless I think this HM is well within your reach! Big grin Cheers D

Finished!

I also lost 2.5 stone (35.5 lbs) between August and September which helped with the race times but i wouldn't recommend that as a training strategy. Wink Nevertheless I think this HM is well within your reach! Big grin
                    Smile well, I've printed out the HM training plan, and right on the cover of my free copy of Her Sports from my race this weekend was a teaser talking about Galloway's HM training program....I think it's the universe trying ot tell me something Wink BTW what the heck happened that caused you to drop that much weight in a pair of months! that's quite a lot!!
                    Walk + Jog = wog.