Who makes running a family affair? (Read 746 times)

For me, my hubby is more than willing to go when he has the chance! Granted, when we've gone before, he is forcing himself to go slowwww, but just getting out there together (without kids I may add!) is SO nice!! Add the one on one companionship of your spouse with the exhiliration of a running workout...can it get better?! (I can only hear the comments now!) Big grin Of course, he has no interest whatsoever in ever running a race, but I think if he got a taste of one, he'd change his mind! Lots of time to work on this!! Since my son has seen Mom and Dad exercising, it's inspired him too. He's 7 and has taken quite a few opportunites to hop on mom's treadmill this winter. Last summer we "ran" the trails around the house together, but I'm hoping we can do more this summer and enter him into a small race. He's really excited about doing it so I'm just letting him do whatever and not stiffling his enthusiasm at all. My 4 year old has the enthusiasm but still tiny little legs! In his own words, as he's tagging behind his brother while we're on the trails, "Hey, wait up! I'm only a little guy!" Even so, it's great to see them running around, giggling! So has running encompassed more of your family than just you? Who drug who out the door first, or was it mutual? What do you like best about running with family members?
      I just started running last fall. My fiance is ex-military so he ran. A lot. Big grin Surprisingly he still enjoys it too. He and I ran our first race together on March 4, which was really cool. He is still a lot faster than me but if I continue my training I am hoping to catch up in a few months. I would love to get his son outside and interested in ANYTHING other than video games. Unfortunately, it's hard to have a lot of impact on a child's way of life when you only spend one weekend a month with him. Confused If he lived with us, I believe that he would be more active outside and hopefully that would include running at some point, but for now, he does like to walk the dog. It's a start. Shy
      ---- Cynthia
      Jill_B

I fly.

My husband doesn't run and has no interest in running, but my younger brother and my father (both are local) run, so I run a lot of races with one or both of them. But, my brother is faster than me and my father is slower, so we rarely run together outside of races.

Bring it on.

My son (10) has gone with me a couple of times and my daughter (7) has started asking to go. I had signed up for a 5 mile race for this Saturday and noticed that they had a 1k kid's run followed by a pirate's treasure hunt. Both kids thought that sounded cool, so now we are all signed up. I'm not sure if they were more excited about the pirate treasure hunt or the pancake breakfast afterward - either way I'm not complaining. My wife is not the running type, she prefers the elliptical machine at the gym, so she's (after finishing grumbling about getting up so early on a Saturday morning) going to come for moral support and to watch the kids have fun.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

My husband runs with me, but no more than 3.1 miles. We run in 5k races together. He thinks (I've said this before) that running more than 3 miles is pointless. He runs to stay in shape and so he can have that dish of choc. ice-cream before bed. My 12 y/o son just started running with me, and I hope he sticks with it, though I have a feeling he won't, but I won't tell him that. We'll run our first 5k together on the 22nd of this month. My 11 y/o daughter is a speed demon. Although a soccer player for life (so she says), she will be going out for track. Her speed on the soccer field is amazing. Parents approach me often to tell me how fast she is, I love that!! 15 y/o has bad knees, and COMPLAINS all the time about them. He wrestled, and played soccer, but running is not his thing, he looks uncomfortable running, it's odd. 5 y/o - plays soccer so far. A little asthmatic so we'll see how things go. So, not really a family affair, but the family has it's share of athletes. As far as my parents running. OMG, that would be a funny sight. They don't do that. My brother does kick boxing and squash.

Michelle

Member Since 2008

My wife started running once, but gave it up before she really gave it a chance (I think). Of my eight children, there is only one who is showing any interest (11 year old son) and is trying to built himself up for an upcoming 5k.

Imminent Catastrophe

I usually run the marathons and Mary Ann does a shorter race. We did the Marine Corps Marathon together, however. Training runs are a "famiily" thing--both of us and the two dogs.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

We all run together. Smile Dh and I run together. We workout most days together and run half marathons together. We do shorter races which we each run at our own pace. I don't think he's gonna try the Full with me though. My 17 yo ds runs cross country for his high school and has run cross country since 6th grade. My 11 yo runs. He's participated in the local running club's summer kid's program for the past several years and started running 5K's last year, winning several trophies for his age group. My 8 yo has run during the summer for the past few years as well. She ran her fist 5K last July but prefers the 1 mile fun runs. She also has a collection of trophies. My 4 yo started running last summer when she was 3 yo. After completing the summer running program, she won 3rd place for the 6 and under age group in a 1 mile race with a 12:21 mile. Smile My mom, aunt and uncle and possibly my in-laws are going to be joining us at some 5K's this summer as walkers. We're definitely making this a family thing. In fact, dh, ds#2 and I are running a 5 mile race this weekend. Smile Teresa
                    I would love to get his son outside and interested in ANYTHING other than video games. Unfortunately, it's hard to have a lot of impact on a child's way of life when you only spend one weekend a month with him. Confused If he lived with us, I believe that he would be more active outside and hopefully that would include running at some point, but for now, he does like to walk the dog. It's a start. Shy
                    Computer and videos are big over here too! Sometimes the kids go outside screaming and kicking (not literally), but once they get out there, they don't want to go back in. At least he has you guys to get him out the door!!
                      My son (10) has gone with me a couple of times and my daughter (7) has started asking to go. I had signed up for a 5 mile race for this Saturday and noticed that they had a 1k kid's run followed by a pirate's treasure hunt. Both kids thought that sounded cool, so now we are all signed up. I'm not sure if they were more excited about the pirate treasure hunt or the pancake breakfast afterward - either way I'm not complaining.
                      Bonkin, Good luck at the race! Please let us know how it went with the kids!
                        I usually run the marathons and Mary Ann does a shorter race. We did the Marine Corps Marathon together, however. Training runs are a "famiily" thing--both of us and the two dogs.
                        Great for you!!! Just one question. Is your wife's name *actually* Mary Ann!?
                          We're definitely making this a family thing. In fact, dh, ds#2 and I are running a 5 mile race this weekend. Smile Teresa
                          Good luck Teresa! Looking forward to hearing how it went!!

Now that was a bath...

If my man ever ran anywhere it would be very funny. He lifts beer and does stomach stretches at mealtimes though. Claire xx
                          • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                          • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                              We do! My husband finally started last summer, after being inpired by the finishers at the Western States 100 mile run here in out town. He'll be finishing his first half marathon in 2 weeks. My oldest son is 13, and began running abour 4 years ago with track and field, cross country, and 5k fun runs. Younger son is now 11, has done several fun runs up to 5k distance, and is starting track and field right now. My golden retriever Samson, runs with me for anything less than 7-8 miles. My cats won't run, except toward the food bowl. Tongue
                              Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado