IE 8 Upload (Read 1049 times)

eric :)

I received a response from Garmin. Here's what my contact's contact said:
    I posted the log your customer provided on the developers forum and they told me that this is a know issue on Windows versions of the communicator plug-in. They hope to release a new version shortly that will correct the issue. It sounds like Eric has the best solution until the update is released by having his users backdate the plug-in version.
    So, they're aware of the problem but won't be fixed immediately.
    theyapper

On the road again...

HStreet, Deleting your older files on the Garmin can help with that, too. That way there aren't as many files for the uploader to "wade" through and get hung on.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Just Happy to Run

Thanks Eric! Like the Garmin guys said... your solution works like a charm. btw, it's quite nice that they tested their s/w before putting it out the door, eh? I should talk though... I regard me users as my testers... Tongue But at least I'm on standby to either immediately roll back or fix new bug in 5 minutes! Oh, and I also at least give it a shot or two myself before rolling out. All they had to do was try it ONCE! Big grin
        Jason

2010 Goals
        • M PR (Current: 6:27:00) • HM PR (Current: 2:13:14) • 5k under 25:00 • 10k under 59:00 • Weekly Milage of ~25 miles
        NitaLyn

Mine will work fine for a couple of days and then get stuck at various percentages. This morning I had to close (with ControlAltDelete) Firefox about 4 times and restart everything before I got the whole 100% uploaded. Once it hangs, it seems to hang Firefox. It always recognizes the Garmin and starts uploading, it just stops. I've had this problem for several weeks. It will work for a couple of days and then back to hanging. Not sure if this is the same problem we are addressing here. Thanks, Eric, for all your work. It is really a wonderful thing most of the time.
          This is the same problem I have too. Makes Firefox lock up and I have to restart Firefox several times usually before it will finish uploading. Not sure how hard resetting the Garmin will fix that, but hopefully it will! I'll give it a try. Thanks so much for this feature. It sure is cool (when it works Smile
            I haven't had any luck with the hard reset when the download gets stuck. I have to restart my browser.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

JoeO

Does anyone know how to tell what version of the plugin you have installed? Does it say it somewhere obvious? Sorry if this is a "duh" type question. I'm not now on the computer where I have the plugin installed so if it shows up clearly, I couldn't tell now anyway.

WillRunForBeer,

How much data do you have on your Garmin?  This is a wild guess since I do not have access to Garmin's code.  It could be that some of your data is corrupt and their code is choking on it.  After you successfully uploaded all your data, try deleting everything and see if that fixes the problem.  If you're paranoid, download all your data to Training Center first.

JoeO,

Here's how you can check the version:

If you have Windows XP:

1. Open Windows Explorer
                  2. Go to "C: \Program Files\Garmin GPS Plugin
                  3. Right click on npGarmin.dll and click on Properties
                  4. Click on the Details tab
                  5. "Product version" will indicate the version of your plugin.

If you are using 64 bit version of Vista, use "C: \Program Files (x86)\Garmin GPS Plugin" in step 2.  (This is why you shoud always include your browser and operating system when requesting support.

WillRunForBeer,

How much data do you have on your Garmin?  This is a wild guess since I do not have access to Garmin's code.  It could be that some of your data is corrupt and their code is choking on it.  After you successfully uploaded all your data, try deleting everything and see if that fixes the problem.  If you're paranoid, download all your data to Training Center first.

I generally clear the garmin about once a week so it doesn't get too full.  I think their code is buggy, but note that when I restart the browser it generally works, so it isn't a data problem -- more like the comm protocol can't handle certain glitches.  I think many of us see this sometimes when loading to training center, too.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com