totally automated data sync with Garmin Connect (Read 204 times)

Annni

It is a nice to automatically sync Garmin Connect data to running ahead.  But it still needs to manually click to save.  Can we skip this manual saving step?

1) If any of the workouts need to be deleted, we can delete after the sync is done.

2) You can add configuration setting somewhere so user can choose if she wants to auto-save or manual click-n-save.

Thanks!

Bin

I don't mind having to manually edit them all.  I always need to go in and enter my shoe information and run type (tempo, long, recovery, etc.) anyways.

I think I would also be worried that fully automating them would create duplicates that I never find?  Maybe it was because the integration was just starting out and there were bugs, but about a week ago there were about 5 or 6 much older runs that showed up in the queue that I had to delete.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

I don't mind editing either. However, Strava saves the run automatically and you can edit/add info later.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

eric :)

Hi Annni,

I agree it would be nice to save the workouts directly into the log.  It is not done that way to avoid duplicates.  It appears that Garmin occasionally sends duplicate workouts.  RA currently doesn't have the ability to detect duplicates.  The coding the simple, but it requires a database upgrade which I'm not willing to do at the moment.  I am planning to upgrade the database toward the end of the year.  I'll consider adding it after that.

eric Smile

joescott

I like the way it works now, especially now that mikey taught me how to make it remember my workout type and shoes from the last run.  Avoiding duplicates from GC is a necessity for me, because I often need to create duplicates in GC (don't want to explain, I have my reasons), and it's nice to be able to quickly destroy them in RA when they come across.  But I realize I am the minority use case probably in this regard.  Another advantage for me, though, is that I think the way things are set up now it's quicker to make small edits before finalizing the save, and I often make little tweaks to the entry.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

AnneCA

I like the way it works now, especially now that mikey taught me how to make it remember my workout type and shoes from the last run.  

Oooh, I missed this lesson - please do share.  I can't seen to make the "populate from last workout" setting persistent on the Gamin Connect import, like it was when I did the direct upload from the watch.  I'm sure I'm missing something easy.  Thanks!

kcam

I ALWAYS make 'little tweaks' to data before I save.  I'd rather not have to open an auto-saved entry and make the changes.  I'd forget to do them or,more likely, plan to edit them later and then when I finally get around to it I'd have forgotten what I wanted to write or edit.

I'm perfectly fine with the way it works now.

an amazing likeness

Oooh, I missed this lesson - please do share.  I can't seen to make the "populate from last workout" setting persistent on the Gamin Connect import, like it was when I did the direct upload from the watch.  I'm sure I'm missing something easy.  Thanks!

Since you're setting a preference for how the import from Garmin Connect works, the option is under the GC import:

Training Log -> Tools -> Applications -> this will bring you to the GC integration page --> Preferences -> Fill new workouts with info...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

AnneCA

Since you're setting a preference for how the import from Garmin Connect works, the option is under the GC import:

Training Log -> Tools -> Applications -> this will bring you to the GC integration page --> Preferences -> Fill new workouts with info...

Got it, thank you!