Another Chicago Marathon Race Report (Read 800 times)

Mishka-old log

jdmcgregor

All business

Nice job man! If you can run in in that kind of time, i bet you'll beat your PR on the next (moderate temperature) one you run. Are you going to be around for the Lakefront 50K on the 27th?

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Jeffrey

Great run, under bad conditions. If your next marathon is run in cooler temps (no dog in your stomach), you could hold your desired pace -- which was around 6.3x or so?
          I need to train with Llamas. Tongue 7:30 min/mile... Dude!

Vim

Mishka-old log

I felt like I was in 3 hour shape going in, but 3:05 was probably more realistic. I wasn't trying to hit any specific splits, but 7:00 pace felt appropriately easy for the first 10 or so, so I tried to keep it there. I think in good conditions, I probably could have run between 3:00 and 3:05, so 6:52-7:03 pace. I did a really good job of keeping it easy early, so I was much closer to my potential than runners that were trying to hit specified splits (revised or otherwise). No Lakefront for me. My big races for the next year will be about 3 hours and 10 minutes shorter!
              Nice write up; I'm still working on mine. For what its worth, I think you had HTFU a-plenty throughout the whole ordeal. I'm pretty sure that mile 1 was indeed short, and that mile 2 was indeed long. Every single race report I've read says that the runner went too fast in mile 1, but backed off too much in mile 2. Can't be coincidence.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

joefreudenthal

My BIL and I have been training for the Chicago Marathon this year. Well, it was Sunday, and you may have heard it was HOT! In fact, it was the hottest Chicago Marathon in it's 30 year history, and a record breaking heat day for October in Chicago. At 7:30 am, it was into the 60s, when it normally is in the lower 40s; however, it still felt fairly cool. What I think happened was that people had been training for a certain goal time, and then when it still felt "cool" at start time, they took off the first few miles at goal pace. However, as the day heated up and the miles dragged on, the pace and effort finally caught up with many people at about the halfway mark or so. That is exactly what happened to my BIL and me. At about 16 miles, I looked over at him, and he says, "Joe, I am not doing well." He was blanched out and he was not sweating. We slowed down and got him re-hydrated, and we struggled on. He never did fully recover. As the race went on it became apparent that many, many people had run into the same issues as we had. There were people cramping up and lots of people had been slowed to a walk to continue. It was a mess. The water/Gatorade stops were getting backed up as the sounds of ambulances filled the air. At about the 23 mile mark, even ENERFIT wasn't going to save me; I was succumbing to dehydration and my calves and hamstrings were tightening up and beginning to cramp. I struggled on, stopping to stretch as I needed to until about 100 meters from the finish. At that point, my right calf had had enough. It cramped so bad that my foot was "cemented" to the ground and there was nothing I could do to lift my toes to release the charley horse. It was excruciating. After about 30 seconds, I was able to release the cramp in my calf, and so it headed up into my right hamstring, buttock, and low back. I had to "peg leg" it across the finish. It was unreal. I then begin to hallucinate a little from dehydration as everyone's white shirts started glowing. I turned to my left and saw a large pink bunny and thought I was really losing my mind. (It turned out to be some guy dressed up like the Energizer bunny!) We finally got to hydrate and rest and we recovered. We felt like we had been through a war. Our hearts and prayers go out to the family of the gentleman that lost his life during the race, and those still in critical condition. We may go for the Kansas City Marathon on October 2oth. Anybody up for it?
                  My 2007 Chicago race report is here.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

jdmcgregor

All business

Even The Onion is getting in on it! http://www.theonion.com/content/node/67908

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Go Pre!

Imminent Catastrophe

The Onion is just hilarious. They also have a great video podcast that never fails to amuse.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Me and my gang in Breck

Mishka, Great report. You did awesome considering the heat. I learned alot from reading your report. Mostly that I never want to run a marathorn in heat like that. Thanks Mark

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Me and my gang in Breck

My 2007 Chicago race report is here.
                            Matt, I just read your report. You did great!!! Know doubt about it. You improved in all areas compared to your last marathorn. Thats awesome!!! The next ones gonna feel easy and it'll be a PR for sure. Thanks for writing such a detailed report and sharing. Mark

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."