Training for a 1/2 Marathon (Read 1544 times)

I'm a fairly new runner and the longest distance I have run until now is around 11 miles with a few walk breaks. My last race distance was 10K. Being older I'm running in the Masters division age 55 to 59, I was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips on training for a 1/2 marathon in a few months.
    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Bassdude, Since no one replied, I'll take a crack at answer your post. Hopefully, this will get someone more experienced to chime in as well. Not knowing your running history, it's hard to give specific advices. I'm not sure what your goal is for the half marathon (time vs. finishing). I do think that you're ready for the half marathon if you completed 11 miles as a long run. With the half marathon still a few months away, you can afford a slow build up. Give yourself extra time to recover between long runs. I think the most important tip is to listen to your body. If you feel tired from previous day's workout, then take the day off to recover. How many miles a week are you currently running? Do you have a training plan?

You'll ruin your knees!

Hey Bassdude, Take a look at this link... http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/inter.htm. I think it is just a bit over the top, but it has beginner, intermediate and advanced options for training for a half, depending on the experience of the runner. Don't take it too seriously, it is just a guide. The key is to build up the mileage of your long run slowly over time and to remain injury free. I agree with Mile Collector, you probably are OK with the 11 mile long run, but I would like to have some more experience with the distance before I raced it. Good luck and let us know how you're doing. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Josh Jacobson

I would agree with the other two posts between this and yours, Bassdude. My biggest advice without know too much about your training history would be to make sure you spend some quality time working on your base conditioning. Whether you monitor your training by Heart Rate or by speed such as: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm My expirience as a Fitness Director is that people don't spend enough time training in their base speeds/Heart rate ranges. You don't have to just worry about that when you are doing long runs, but if you haven't spent adequate time doing this I would recommend that you try to stay in that base, or at least below threshold, training range even during the shorter runs during the week initially. I guess I would say let us know what you have been doing as far as training goes. Josh
            Thanks for the responses. Right now I am averaging betwee 18 to 20 miles a week. I feel that I need to increase the distance of my long runs. My main problem is that because of my crazy work schedule, my running schedule varies because of my shift changes. My shifts can change daily not just weekly. I am currently trying to run 5 days a week, keeping my daily runs right around 3 miles and trying to do a long run on Sundays. Since September I have logged around 700 miles
            Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Bassdude, 20 miles a week is a good place to start. However, your (eventual) long runs will make up for the bulk of these miles, which could lead to injuries if you're not careful. With your time constraints, maybe you can run 4 days instead of 5, and increase your daily runs from 3 miles to 5. You can start your long runs at around 7 miles and work your way up to 11 or 12 a couple of weeks before your race. Be sure to have easy weeks in your schedule so your body can recover. Which half marathon are you running?
              Josh Jacobson

Bassdude, I agree with Mile Collector on trying to reduce the number of days to 4 if you have time constraints. Also depending how much time you have until the race, you can do a long run one week and then next keep the milage a little shorter to help give you a little rest between your long runs. Right now I am running 12 -14 mile long runs one weekend and the next it will be 6-8 miles. I am planning on doing something similar to this while I increase my long runs. You could do something like this for your long runs, and do them every other week.
                  The 1/2 Marathon is the Cleveland Fall Classic in November. I'm running in the Bay Days 5 miler in Bay Village Ohio on the 4th of July. These are both Cleveland West Road Runner Club races.
                    Bassdude: My favorite half marathon in the Cleveland area is the River Run. It is shaded most of the way, good course, and a nice number of runners. I don't know if you think you would be ready by then, September 12 I think, but you might consider that run. I ran the fall classic two years ago - it is a double loop in Strongsville and I'm not crazy about double loop courses - just me I guess. Good luck.
                      I can understand your feelings about a double loop course, but being a new member of Cleveland West Road Runners I feel that I should run the Fall Classic. Got to be P.C. Good luck in your next race.
                      Erunama

I am also in the process of training for a half-marathon (Boston in October). I can't say that I am close to being ready. I just ran my first race on Saturday (a 5K), and my long runs are about 6 miles at the moment. I have a little over two months remaining, so I really need to keep a consistent schedule, which has been hard because I am taking courses over the summer. But, my goal will simply be to finish, and I'd like to do that without stopping or walking (except maybe while drinking).
                          Best of luck in the half marathon. There is no disgrace in taking SHORT walk breaks if needed. You can decide if you need them while you're training. The object is for you not to have a did not finish for your race. Keep on truckin'
                          Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I am also in the process of training for a half-marathon (Boston in October). I can't say that I am close to being ready. I just ran my first race on Saturday (a 5K), and my long runs are about 6 miles at the moment. I have a little over two months remaining, so I really need to keep a consistent schedule, which has been hard because I am taking courses over the summer. But, my goal will simply be to finish, and I'd like to do that without stopping or walking (except maybe while drinking).
                            Are you doing the BAA Half? It's the only one that I know of at around that time in Boston. I volunteered at one of the water stations last year with my club and had lots of fun watching the runners go by.
                            Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Bassdude, How's the training coming along?
                              Erunama

Bassdude: I'll definitely keep that in mind. I am feeling much better now. I look at Hal Higdon's Intermediate half-marathon training schedule (novice looked a bit too easy for me), and my long run was on track with what he suggested. So, I am going to follow his plan, starting at week 2, but I'm sure I'll change some things around. In particular, I will try to make my runs a little longer, since I'd like to run the half-marathon distance once before the race (maybe two weeks before). Mile Collector: Yep, I'll be doing the B.A.A. Half-marathon. I'm actually not in Boston at the moment. I am taking summer courses right now, and in the Fall I will be away from school and working in Cambridge (my university has a Co-op program, so I work in the Fall, and replace the courses I would normally take then in the summer). I look forward to spending some time in Boston. Specifically, I am excited to check out some new running routes, and it seems like the Charles River is a nice place to run (I am assuming they have paths running along the length of it?).