New To Marathoning (Read 826 times)

Lane

Hey Everybody! I've decided to tackle the GMAA Marathon on October 18th. Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot of experience at racing at longer distances. I just need somebody to give me a place to start, tell me what is a reasonable goal, and some tips. I'm sure this has been hashed and rehashed, but there's a lot of conflicting advice out there and I want to know what's worked for everybody else. Here's as much information as I can give you: I'm 18 y/o male 5'11" 145 lbs Racing experience: 400m: ~30 times (pr: 52.xx) 800m: ~50 times (pr: 1:59.xx) 1500m: 5 times (pr: 4:30.xx) 1600m: 3 times (pr: 5:00.xx) 3000m: 1 time (pr: 10:52.xx) 5k XC: ~40 times (pr: 17:21) 8k XC: ~7 times (pr: 28:02) 5 mile: 1 time (29:31) 10k: 1 time (38:24) Right now, I'm slowly building up my mileage, and I'm up to 50mpw. I usually train around 7:00-7:10 pace. I think that I can peak at 80mpw for 3 or 4 weeks and still have two weeks to taper. Any help you guys can offer would be really cool. Thanks!
      Sounds like you are on your way. I hesitate to recommend "a" plan because there are so many and different people have different experience with them. So, check a bunch out, see what fits best. If I were you, I'd probably want to race some longer distances to gauge yourself. Like a half-marathon in, say, August. I've run 5 marathons and probably averaged about 45-50 a week. I'd think 80 is perhaps more than needed, esp. for a first. Perhaps consider your first an intelligence gathering mission.
      Lane

I would use this marathon as an "intelligence gathering", except that I'm not planning on doing another marathon for several years. I'm planning on running for my college's track and cross-country teams starting in the spring of next year. 80 may seem like a lot, but that's about what I would be running for XC. I don't want to be behind my teammates when I re-join them for track.
          Dang. That's a lot of running. I guess that's why I never did well on XC. Stay injury free and good luck!
            If I were in your shoes, I would discuss the marathon plans with the XC coach. Note: I have only run one marathon before. I have never run as many miles as you. With those disclaimers: If I were to run another marathon I would do something as described here http://www.therunzone.com/TinmanMarathonTrainingPhilosophy.html
              Just some random thoughts for you. A couple of things I've learned after 20 marathons. First - your 10K time predicts about a 2:57 marathon. However--this is just a rough 'guesstimate'.The longer your runs, the easier it is to predict your finishing time in a marathon. If you can maintain your 7:10 training pace for the distance, you'd run a 3:08 marathon. Second - You have got to respect the distance when it comes to a marathon. The worst thing you can do is go out too fast. You'll want to. You really will. If you do, you'll pay for it at about mile 20. Think of it as a 20 mile training run followed by a 10K race. Or: slow, slow, slow, slow, fast! Third - Try and run a negative split. Fourth - You cannot 'bank' minutes. Don't even try. Fifth - The quality of your training runs count as much, if not more, than the quantity of your runs. I've run a 3:20 on only 40-45 miles per week (at age 55). Certainly, your 80mpw should yield a good time for you. I am a big believer in running hills (not hill repeats, necessarily, just making sure your runs have hills in them). Sixth - If you can, throw in some 5 & 10K races as part of your training. They really help with your overall speed/wind in a marathon. If you can find a HM to run, run it. You always run faster in race conditions than when training. Seventh - Whatever training plan you end up using, DO NOT skip the long runs. If you do, you'll pay for it. The marathon is a "pay me now, or pay me later" event. Paying later just costs more. Eighth - The taper will drive you crazy. You'll feel as if you are losing all the training you put in. You'll feel aches and pains you didn't feel before. You'll worry about a lot of things. It's all normal. Ninth - Get a good nights sleep two nights before the marathon. You won't get the night before. Well, just a few thoughts. Good luck with the training and race. Love to hear how it went.
              My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

My advice is to not be afraid to slow down on some of your long runs during training. Seems like you have a good base, so the biggest problem you need to worry about is overtraining and injury. I also recommend that you eat after all of your runs.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Lane

Thanks to everyone! I'm going to put all of this into practice as best as I can. Good luck to all of you in your upcoming races!
                  Hannibal Granite

I ran my first marathon at about your age, peaked at about 90 miles a couple of weeks, but I wasn't as fast as you are at shorter distances and ran a 3:15 - I'm definitely an endurance guy not a speed guy though. What worked for me was building my mileage over the summer and not worrying about speedwork at all except a few races. The only piece of advice I can add to pron8r's list is to not worry about hitting specific mileage marks each week and don't increase every week. You can probably increase mileage every 2-3 weeks as long as you're running almost all of the miles at an relatively easy pace.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara