New Saucony Kinvara? (Read 4691 times)

Marquess of Utopia

I love the Fastwitch 4, but when I recently tried to buy I was under the impression they are being discontinued.  Maybe that is erroneous. 

The Fastwitch 5 will have a 4mm heel to toe drop: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/sneakpeek.html?ccode=SAUSPRING11&video=SNEAK308

Looks like it will fit nice inbetween the A4 and Kinvara.

I'm excited to try this shoe out (Fall 2011): Saucony Hattori.  A 4.4 Oz. Zero heel drop trainer that offers a velcro strap closure, and not much in the way of a midsole. 

Why is it sideways?

Force your heels outwards?  I guess I don't have this issue with them.

I should have said "force my heels outward." They are obviously not the most stable shoe in the world--they are not trying to be. The combination of being very cushioned and very flexible may not be best for everyone all the time. Smile

I should have said "force my heels outward." They are obviously not the most stable shoe in the world--they are not trying to be. The combination of being very cushioned and very flexible may not be best for everyone all the time. Smile

True enough Big grin Vive la différence

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

bhearn

I love the Fastwitch 4, but when I recently tried to buy I was under the impression they are being discontinued.  Maybe that is erroneous. 

No surprise... bought mine in Canada. We are always a cycle behind on running shoes.

bhearn

The Fastwitch 5 will have a 4mm heel to toe drop: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/sneakpeek.html?ccode=SAUSPRING11&video=SNEAK308

Looks like it will fit nice inbetween the A4 and Kinvara.

Dammit. I guess I'm just gonna have to make my calves happy with that lower heel. Not only was it a problem with the Kinvaras, but I've also switched from my A4s back to my old A3s with too many miles on them for marathons.

And they're getting rid of the solid color for the Fastwitch too! The solid red A2s were my favorite. Ah well.

L Train

And they're getting rid of the solid color for the Fastwitch too! The solid red A2s were my favorite. Ah well.

Those yellow Fastwitchs were pretty awesome.   I would ordinarily try to coordinate them with some red shorts and an orange shirt.

250 miles and I may be ready to stick a fork in them.  Hopefully, it's just user error, though. I like these. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

dennrunner

User error?  You didn't try to run in them, did you?

250 miles and I may be ready to stick a fork in them.  Hopefully, it's just user error, though. I like these. 

I've read that is a pretty typical mileage from the Kinvara so I would forget any thoughts of user error.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Hmmm, I'm at nearly 200 miles in mine and so far so good. Wonder if they will give out in another 50?  I'm hoping to get at least 300 miles.

Once a runner . . .

Marquess of Utopia

I've read that is a pretty typical mileage from the Kinvara so I would forget any thoughts of user error.

250?!? I have 650 on my first pair. I just turned them into screw shoes and hope to get at least 750 miles out of them. I rotate them out with a newer pair that have almost 500 miles on them. I think they feel great after 400 miles more responsive not as soft.

Be careful if you decide to convert your kinvara's into winter running screw shoes. After 600 miles the forefoot thickness is compressed to about 10-11MM and a 3/8 ince sheet metal screw is 9.5MM so if you step on a rock in the right place the screw will slightly poke you in the foot. I ran 10 miles on the gravel road and it was just annoying not painful. I removed the screws and cut off the tips of the srews and now the shoes feel fine.

At about 250 miles (some were on a treadmill), I am starting to like them after initially killing my ankles/calf, I think have adjusted to them.

Right on Hereford...

500 miles on mine and no problems.

runnergirlmommy

I love mine, have 2 pair now that I rotate.  I love the newer ones (black with aqua bottoms).  My other shoes (Saucony Hurricanes, Asics 2150s) feel a bit lonely though.  I still haven't worn the Kinvaras on runs longer than 10 miles or on trails but mainly that's so I can at least rotate in my other shoes for those runs.  I bought them at Kelly's Running Warehouse for $65 recently.  Our local running shop also had them on sale at one point for $40.  So it's all about timing and finding a good sale.  I don't have many miles on then yet so not sure how they'll stand up.  I was having calf and knee issues after increasing mileage last year so tried lots of stability shoes, cushioned shoes and now I am wondering if something so light and minimal could be perhaps the solution all along.  We'll see how the training goes this year in them.  

mikeymike

I'm kind of over the Kinvara.  I am almost 300 miles into my 2nd pair and while I still like them for faster running and road workouts, I think I'm done using them for runs over an hour.  I've always run in lightweight, neutral shoes--even doing a lot of running in racing flats year round--but for some reason these things cause my arches to get really sore after about an hour--not even sure its my arch or the top of my foot.  Part of it is I think that I have to tie these just a tiny bit tighter than most shoes to keep from floating around in them because the upper has nothing to it.   But either way, no more long runs in the Kinvaras for me.

Runners run