Do runners throw temper tantrums?? (Read 903 times)

Angry Tonight at my team's soccer game we had an ugly display of temper's flying. Immature "punks" on the other team combined with our quick to anger goalie was not a good thing. It ended with lots of cursing, a deliberate trip and a uncalled for choke hold. Our goalie and two of the other team's players were ejected from the game. It took all the fun out of the game. Myself and the other two girls on our coed team stood watching and wondering what the heck just happened!!! Has anyone ever seen runners act like that?

Michelle

Scout7

Like that? Not while running. Although, I will say, I was kinda mean and dirty during XC races. At districts, this kid kept trying to spike the backs of my legs, and the usual flipping mud at him wasn't working. I happened to notice that everyone in front of me was suddenly veering left or right around a rather solidly built square wooden lamppost. I waited till the last second, duck around the post, and heard a satisfying THUD!!! followed by a groan. The people behind me found it amusing, too. In my defense, if the guy hadn't been so intent on trying to put his 1/4" spikes through my calves, he would've seen the post. Oh, and I did once see someone get shoulder tackled into an electrified cow fence.
        Big grin Ahhh, the rewarding sound of a revenge thud, cool. I like it. As nice as I try to be spite does have it's value and that would have been fun. I've only been to a handful of races and they were only local small ones. I am wondering if tempers ever flare at the bigger races, if anyone gets nasty before, during or even right after a race. I think that runners are a better breed of people in the sportsmanship area, from what I've seen at least. Ouch----an electric cow fence, that had to sting a little.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think that runners are a better breed of people in the sportsmanship area, from what I've seen at least.
          I'd agree with that...though maybe we're a bit biased! I think we're generally too tired to get aggressive or into much trouble! Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

I once saw a biker take a 5000 $$ bike and heave it in a ditch after the race! I have never seen a runner take off their shoes and heave them into traffic.
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have never seen a runner take off their shoes and heave them into traffic.
              Hey, next time I am ready to retire a pair I will do this and have my hubby get it on video! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

i sometimes run through running groups who hog the sidewalk...i just plow through them... Evil grin
                Scout7

In terms of sportsmanship, I've done small races, and big races. I don't know that I've ever seen a fight break out at a race. I also don't recall ever having heard or seen anything done to another runner that was anything more than friendly or talking smack. Except for those instances, and that was HS cross country. Totally different animal than most races. I have never met any of the Kenyan runners, but from what I've heard, they're all pretty decent guys to a fault. Very gracious, friendly people. I don't think you get anywhere near the level of primadonnas you get in other professional sports, nor do you get the level of unsportsman-like conduct from participants OR spectators that other sports seem to have. I think it's a culture of the sport. Most runners (except those track prisses, they're just a bunch of elitist pricks) are pretty laid back, and have much greater levels of patience.

Prophet!

At the last Honolulu Marathon, the previous few years winner, a Kenyan by the name of Jimmy Muindi, complained that an Ethiopian runner and the eventual winner was bumping his shoulder the whole last half of the race. That might be it..these guys are too small to tussle, i would be funny to watch though, nobody will be able to land a punch...now with the strong legs, kickboxing might be the way to go.
                    mikeymike

(except those track prisses, they're just a bunch of elitist pricks)
                      Hey! No I've definitely never seen that kind of thing in running. I think the frustration that builds in team sports is much, much greater than in individual sports and there are more big emotional ups and downs to go with it. That, and you get big discrepancies in skill level when you play in the sort of amateur adult leagues and this can just increase the frustration levels. It's basically why I stopped playing team sports shortly after college. I'm all set with some knucklehead wanting to drop the gloves with me in a stupid men's hockey/soccer/rugby (pick your sport) game. I've got to be at work in the morning and I don't mean cutting lawns.

Runners run

I've done a lot of races and i've come across some really rude runners before. People cutting me off, elbowing me and even cussing at me. I raced against a girl once who elbowed me the whole race and even tried to push me back at the end...she blamed it on the fact the she played soccer for so long LOL....so maybe it's only people who switch to running from other sports?? Wink
                          I usually have a great time playing soccer. For the most part I have only had good experiences with the game, until last night. Part of the problem in last night's game was there were too many different ages playing. The league really needs to keep them split. I'm quickly learning that soccer isn't just for fun for all that play. Some of those players are out for blood, and to me that seems a little extreme for a recreational sport. I had one not so nice experience with running. It was only a comment that was made about me when I was passing a father and his daughter. It was my 2nd 5k that I had ever run in and my husband and I ran it together. I made the mistake of chatting at first and quickly ran out of energy, so I slowed down. My husband kept going, since he kept his thoughts to himself while I babbled on and he had all his energy. Well, after I regained some strength and refocused, I sped up to catch my husband (or try to). When I did so, I went past a father and his 12 year old (I'm guessing her age) daughter, who had passed me not too long before. I then heard him chuckle and say to his daughter, "that is what you are NOT supposed to do, she'll never finish the race". I was annoyed that he didn't wait until I was past them more. I guess he was trying to educate his daughter. Well, what ever he was trying to do all it did was make me push harder to be sure they didn't pass me. And, they didn't. I felt like death at the end of the race but they didn't pass me. I didn't catch up with my husband . He beat me by about a minute. Other than that I have had only GREAT experiences with other runners. My friend Holly, who is on my soccer team is also a runner (we are doing Broad Street together)...she loves soccer so far, this is her first session. But, we both agree that we don't take chances of injury. Our steps out on that field are never without care. We don't want to risk our running!

Michelle

Like that? Not while running. Although, I will say, I was kinda mean and dirty during XC races. At districts, this kid kept trying to spike the backs of my legs, and the usual flipping mud at him wasn't working. I happened to notice that everyone in front of me was suddenly veering left or right around a rather solidly built square wooden lamppost. I waited till the last second, duck around the post, and heard a satisfying THUD!!! followed by a groan. The people behind me found it amusing, too. In my defense, if the guy hadn't been so intent on trying to put his 1/4" spikes through my calves, he would've seen the post. Oh, and I did once see someone get shoulder tackled into an electrified cow fence.
                            You DIDN'T and DON'T need a defense for what you did. It is called God's Great Law of Compensation or What Goes Around Comes Around. You were just His instrement in justice. And funny as hell!! I like the way you think!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Scout7

Thanks, BP. I'm now an instrument of justice. Cool..... I will say I get frustrated in some races, especially at the start. But I don't think I've ever pushed or elbowed somebody, or intentionally cut anyone off.
                              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I once pitched my Timex after a disappointing 5k. It took a licking and stopped ticking. Cry After I had to pay to replace it (Mom and Dad bought the original), I decided I needed to find a better way to handle disappointments. Soon after, I discovered alcohol ("the cause of...and solution to... all of life's problems -- H. Simpson), and have not broken a watch since. Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.