Problem with changing the GPS intervals in the log (Read 47 times)

Iza

I use a Garmin Forerunner 110 and upload directly from it to Runningahed.

I noticed this problem today when I looked at the run I did this morning, which the Garmin recorded as 6.57 miles. I uploaded it to my log here and then out of curiosity I wanted to see what the splits looked like by kilometers. When I did so, the run was split up into 11 intervals, 10 of 1 km each, and 1 of .74 km, which is well off the 10.54 if you convert miles into km, 6.57 * 1.609.

I then also checked the time splits to see if they would add up, but instead of my recorded time of 1:02:08.25, I got 1:03:32. 

I really don't know how Garmin structures the files, but it appears that something isn't being parsed right and somehow a little bit of additional time and distance is added to the manual splits. Or maybe it's something that can't be avoided, I don't know.

But it seems like it ought to be reported. Thank you.

eric :)

Hi ScratchType1,

The problem was caused by bad GPS data.  Some of the data points do not have GPS data.  When that happens, the code falls back to the cumulative distance data.  Unfortunate, that data might not be accurate so depending how where the route segmented, the distance might be off.

I modified the code to ignore bad data points instead of trying to salvage them.  The distance would be slightly shorter if there are bad points, but the difference hopefully would be too small to notice.

eric Smile

Iza

Hi ScratchType1,

The problem was caused by bad GPS data.  Some of the data points do not have GPS data.  When that happens, the code falls back to the cumulative distance data.  Unfortunate, that data might not be accurate so depending how where the route segmented, the distance might be off.

I modified the code to ignore bad data points instead of trying to salvage them.  The distance would be slightly shorter if there are bad points, but the difference hopefully would be too small to notice.

eric Smile

Eric,

Thank you for checking this and the modification. I just checked out the result and it was much better. Just another little thing that makes the Runningahead logs a wonderful place to keep track of things.