New! Garmin Forerunner 620/220 (Read 831 times)

delicate flower

Pretty excited!  Looking forward to the Wifi connectivity and will probably use it either way, but is there no way to connect it physically to the computer for direct uploading to RA?  Is it pretty uncomplicated to import Garmin Connect files?

It comes with a USB cable, so you can connect directly using that.  It does not come with a wall charger, so you'll need to charge on your computer or buy the wall jack (or use one you already own).

<3

The Vo2Max calcs are based upon accurate HRMax and RHR settings. If you don't have those set properly it won't give you a proper Vo2Max value.

Mine has been fluctuating between 57-58, which I believe it a little high for me, but it is around where my all-time PRs lie.

I auto upload to Garmin Connect through Wifi. RA/Strava/SportTracks I do through the USB dongle.

I've had one run where the extra metrics didn't show up (but still got HR). I shut the watch off and then back on and it was fine since then. I'll remember to check to see that that metrics screen is on before I run.

The beeps are loud, but when its cold and your watch is muffled by clothes and you've got your ears covered the vibration is a savior.

Recovery time calculation seems to be pretty good. I get 14-16 hour values after easy recovery runs and 24-40 hours after harder workouts.

delicate flower

The Vo2Max calcs are based upon accurate HRMax and RHR settings. If you don't have those set properly it won't give you a proper Vo2Max value.

I did make sure to set my HR values on the device (42-191).  Seems weird that a 7 mile run with 2 x 2 at GMP would yield such a high VO2 max.

<3

fimmx

I picked up a 220 at ZombieRunner on a whim yesterday and so far I'm quite pleased with it. The best is the form factor. It fits well enough on my wrist to almost be worn like a daily wear watch.

One thing that bugs me is that I can't add Time of Day in the data fields. Maybe I'm just missing it. I still miss the 4 field display of the 305.

bluerun

Super B****

One thing that bugs me is that I can't add Time of Day in the data fields. Maybe I'm just missing it. I still miss the 4 field display of the 305.

Per DC Rainmaker, that's not an option on the 220.  (It is on the 620... which has four data fields.  That's why I got that one, mostly; being limited to three fields would have driven me absolutely bonkers.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

an amazing likeness

With the caveat that I know nothing of the ForeRunner 220...on its predecessor, the 210, the Time-Of-Day is always available with one button press from the running data display back to the watch display. I often leave it on the time-of-day during the run so that I don't see any pace / distance feedback.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

joescott

With the caveat that I know nothing of the ForeRunner 220...on its predecessor, the 210, the Time-Of-Day is always available with one button press from the running data display back to the watch display. I often leave it on the time-of-day during the run so that I don't see any pace / distance feedback.

Yes.  The clock is available as a screen in the data screen loop, but it is correct that it cannot be added independently as a data field to any screen.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

joescott

There is a reasonably important relationship with HRmax (there is some amount of tolerance for error in HRmax, but indeed if it's way off it will be bad for the VO2max result), but RHR is not materially important.  As general guidance, though, sn1 is correct that you definitely want to have your HRmax as accurate as possible to get the most accurate VO2max.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

fimmx

Per DC Rainmaker, that's not an option on the 220.  (It is on the 620... which has four data fields.  That's why I got that one, mostly; being limited to three fields would have driven me absolutely bonkers.)

Ah, wish I had caught that when I was comparison shopping. Even so, I don't think I'd have spent the extra couple of hundred for the 620. I'm liking the 220 a lot so far.

Julia1971

Help me not go insane.

I have a new Garmin 220.  (Previously, I owned a Garmin 610).  I created a tempo workout on Garmin Connect* that included a warmup and cool down and an interval segment with a pace range of 7:30-7:45 - my goal marathon pace.  When I ran the interval segment, the lap screen showed I was in that range but the watch kept vibrating at me any time I was momentarily outside that range.  Is there a way to make the watch only beep vibrate according to the lap pace?

*Huge disappointment.  I can't believe I can't add/edit my workouts directly on the watch.

tomatolover

For those of you with the 620--- have you had any problems uploading the workouts directed to RA?  This is my main concern (and my main deterrent)\

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

For those of you with the 620--- have you had any problems uploading the workouts directed to RA?  This is my main concern (and my main deterrent)\

I've been uploading them fine.  The one hitch is that I usually use Chrome as a browser, and while I did come across a link early on that directed me to a Garmin Communicator plug-in for Chrome, the only option I saw was for one of the Apple OSes.  I foresaw a few hours of fiddling around, trying to find the right plug-in for Chrome, so I just keep Firefox installed specifically to upload workouts to RA, and it works fine.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

tomatolover

I've been uploading them fine.  The one hitch is that I usually use Chrome as a browser, and while I did come across a link early on that directed me to a Garmin Communicator plug-in for Chrome, the only option I saw was for one of the Apple OSes.  I foresaw a few hours of fiddling around, trying to find the right plug-in for Chrome, so I just keep Firefox installed specifically to upload workouts to RA, and it works fine.

thanks for the reply...i'm never really sure how I've technically been able to upload my current garmin to RA (i messed around with it a couple of years ago and it wondrously worked) and I'm loath to screw it up with any new gadget...