Creatine levels? (Read 523 times)

Burninated Peasant

I got a call from my Dr's office at work today, and the first question they asked me is "are you working out?" I told them about my running habit, and they explained that they were initially concerned about the creatine levels in the blood test that just came back. They said that it's not uncommon for people who work out a lot to have an unusually high level for this, though, so since I run a lot they're not worried. I looked around a bit, and it seems that a high creatine level is often a marker for kidney failure, but may be high with normal kidney function for body builders. I don't lift weights at all - the only thing that I do is run. Has anyone else had something like this come up? Did your kidneys explode in the middle of your next run? P.S. I think I need to have the Dr's office write in big red marker across the folder "RUNNER". This is probably the third time they've seen something that concerned them until they found out that I run. edit: No, I don't take any supplements of any kind. That was the other question they asked.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Creatine? Or Creatinine?

Burninated Peasant

Don't know. I haven't seen any results on paper yet, but the assistant that called me made it sound like "creatine".
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Big difference. Very big difference. Creatine is almost never tested for. Creatinine is a routine test that everybody gets. Creatinine is a normal muscle breakdown product and has nothing whatsoever to do with creatine. Very big difference and hard to know how to advise you without this info. By the way, if your test was creatinine, ask what your BUN was.
          Jeffrey

Bun, Creatinine and a BUN/Creatinine Ratio data are part of my annual physical lab report. You could ask your doc to fax your lab results to you. That way you can see the allowable ranges and perhaps get some clarity and peace of mind.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Agreed. Although the allowable values for those tests are fairly standard. Do get them faxed. If you want to send them to me privately, you can send me a note here

Burninated Peasant

The doc always sends my results to me in the mail, so it will probably be middle of next week before I see them myself. I'll just add it to the thread when I get them.