From Jeff Galloway's Running Book:

55-60 degrees.....1%
    60-65 degrees.....3%
    65-70 degrees.....5%
    70-75 degrees.....7%
    75-80 degrees.....12%
    80-85 degrees.....20%
    above 85.....forget it, run for fun

This chart might help those of you running to adjust for the heat you might run into at Boston.

Not scientific, but he found it to be true for most amateurs.

--Jimmy

Kalsarikännit

I credit the tens of thousands of spectators lining the whole course who were ferrying water our from their houses to help the runners cool themselves off.  I doubt that happened much at Chicago.

People at Chicago reported that they received help from spectators who pulled out the occasional garden hose and from people that were buying drinking water with their own money.  I just don't see where on the majority of the course a spectator could pull out a hose to help the people out.  There are no "houses" along the route.  There are apartment buildings and condos.  We are in a major urban area and the race runs on main streets that stay close to downtown.   If you don't have grass you don't need hoses.  Boston is run through suburbs.  The courses are apples and oranges.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

A Saucy Wench

I am shocked, shocked that Trent did not charge extra for the Monkey, when heavy rain was forecast (and happened). It is outrageous that Monkey runners might get extra discomfort without paying.

I shoulda framed my bloody sock with the bib instead of throwing it out in the Microtel.  THAT is memorabilia you cant get at an expo.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

There are no "houses" along the route.  There are apartment buildings and condos.  We are in a major urban area and the race runs on main streets that stay close to downtown.   If you don't have grass you don't need hoses.  Boston is run through suburbs.  The courses are apples and oranges.

This was my point.  Not that people from Chicago did not care to help.  The last 3 miles of Boston, where the spectators were gated back and the course was downtown, sucked as much as I'm sure much of the Chicago race did.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

j_d

Marathon virgin with a question for the veteran marathoners. I'm packing my orange plastic bag and wondering if there's anything important I forgot. Contents so far: towel (aka portable changing room), dry clothes, flip flops. Anything else?

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I packed some crazy stuff, too.  The silliest: cheese.  Yep, I packed cheese.  I like to snack on cheese and crackers.  What if there's no cheese in Boston?  (And, I'm probably still going to eat it even though it was unrefrigerated for 5 hours).  Coming in for a close second: an empty Deer Park water bottle for race day.  Clearly, I think Boston is some third world country or something.

Might I suggest for you a trip by Formaggio Kitchen at some point today? 

http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/huronave/locations/southend

Julia1971

Marathon virgin with a question for the veteran marathoners. I'm packing my orange plastic bag and wondering if there's anything important I forgot. Contents so far: towel (aka portable changing room), dry clothes, flip flops. Anything else?

Here's some other things from my list. Some are obvious but I put them on there to make sure I don't forget with all the race day excitement: Bib Blackberry Body Glide Cash Chap Stick Compact Garmin Ibuprofen Inhaler iPod House/Hotel Key Nail File Plastic Bag (for the wet clothes) Safety Pins Shot Blocks Tissue Water Bottles Good luck tomorrow!

Kalsarikännit

Since no one will be running that fast anyways, perhaps this would be the ideal race to break a stunt running world record.  Fastest male backwards marathon is 3:42:41 for the men and 4:42:39 for the women.  Looks soft to me. 

Julia1971

Might I suggest for you a trip by Formaggio Kitchen at some point today? 

http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/huronave/locations/southend

Sounds delicious! I'm trying to stay off my feet today but... A girl's gotta eat!
                    xor

I want some blackberry body glide.

anna71

I won't be getting to Coolidge Corner (I thought Kenmore seemed like a bad idea) until 12:45 and don't know that area well. I want to tell my friend where I'll be but I don't know the area well. She plans on running the race in 3:45. Any suggestions on where to stand so she'll have a chance of seeing me??

HermosaBoy

I won't be getting to Coolidge Corner (I thought Kenmore seemed like a bad idea) until 12:45 and don't know that area well. I want to tell my friend where I'll be but I don't know the area well. She plans on running the race in 3:45. Any suggestions on where to stand so she'll have a chance of seeing me??

Just pick a side of the road (left or right).  You would be surprised at how easy it is for people to pick you out and you hear them.  If you know which side to look to, it makes it pretty easy...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

xhristopher

Just left the expo. Right now it's a warm and sunny 76 in Boston yet there are folks everywhere in orange jackets. If they are chilly right now they should be just fine tomorrow.

Kalsarikännit

there are folks everywhere in orange jackets. If they are chilly right now they should be just fine tomorrow.

I laughed.

Imminent Catastrophe

They have these things called "water bottles". What you do is, you put water in them. That way if it's hot and you need a drink but aren't near a water stop, you can drink some--right out of the bottle! Some of them are even refillable. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016