Running Groups (Read 266 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

i like to run alone and almost always do, but have tried a couple of groups. the problem is i am not interested in the young singles scene. i wish there were groups for older folks who just want to run.

Heh.  I moved from an area where the average was 42 or 44 to a place where the average is 28 or 31.  Quite a difference.  I think the max here is 44.  Too bad; I always found the older runners still plugging along pretty inspiring.

Now I look on the Lakeshore path for middle-age guys wearing boston jackets -- and I just ghost them for a mile before saying hi.  Met a 44yo (2:39) and a 46yo (2:50) a few nights ago this way -- clipping along at a nice 7:10 pace.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Joann Y

Heh.  I moved from an area where the average was 42 or 44 to a place where the average is 28 or 31.  Quite a difference.  I think the max here is 44.  Too bad; I always found the older runners still plugging along pretty inspiring.

Now I look on the Lakeshore path for middle-age guys wearing boston jackets -- and I just ghost them for a mile before saying hi.  Met a 44yo (2:39) and a 46yo (2:50) a few nights ago this way -- clipping along at a nice 7:10 pace.

It's very weird. I follow one group on Instagram because I thought that since they start and finish a couple blocks from my house it might be nice to join them. This is their most recent post "TROT IT LIKE IT'S HOT, TROT IT LKE IT'S HOT. CREW ONLY" and it goes on. Or the posts before that "Flexin' & Finessin' from the ground up" and "A HUSTLER'S PARADISE, A LUCKY PAIR OF DICE".

I have no idea what's going on there nor do I want to find out.

Joann Y

All that to say, running with a group would be nice every now and then but yeah, the young singles scene is not my thing. And I don't really want to get in the car and drive 30 minutes back and forth across town when I could just go for a run on my own and then still have time for beers with my own friends.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I would like to run in a group, but I run with DW weekdays in the mid afternoon, or late mornings on the weekend.  Seems like running club members have full time jobs and run very early on weekends or late on weekdays.  We tried a few times, but it just wasn't worth the effort to drive to their running venues, when we live a few blocks from a wonderful bike path in the forest preserve.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I've never really like running with other people for several reasons:

1. It's my time to be alone and think about things.  I enjoy having that time to relax.

2. I like adjusting my pace when I feel like it.  It might be selfish, but I don't want to be the reason someone else goes slow or fast, and I don't want to push myself to their pace to accommodate them.

I have been asked several times to go running with others, but always decline.  I see on here, and all over the internet about running clubs et al, and have not really understood the allure of it.  That being said, I LOVE races.  I love the camaraderie and sense of community when pushing through tough portions of a course and at the finish line.

Am I weird?  Well, yes, but are there many others out there that don't like running in groups also?

Sounds just like me. Want to go for a run? Wink

Absolutely.  As long as you bring the sponge cake!

~Mike

I started running when my DD's shamed me into running a 5K with them 3 summers ago. We ran the 5K together and they haven't run since.  I run by myself all the time. The closest I get to company is when DH rides his bike on my long runs. Now that winter weather has set it, I'm on my own. Most days my runs are pre-dawn. A week or two back, I crossed paths with other neighborhood runners in head-lamps just chatting along. I wanted to turn around, stalk them, and give them my number.

I found out that the LRS has a group run Sunday mornings, which they alternate on a monthly schedule with another store farther away. I joined up with them the last week in October. I was the caboose of the pack and ran alone, which made me laugh at the situation (that is, after I got over my poor, poor, pitiful me wail). So now what? Since it's December and the group meets at the closer store, I'm giving it another shot. I figure, at the very least, it's worth not having to carry water on a long run, since they have water stations on the trail. If I show up enough, I'm bound to force my friendliness on some other penguiness that will come along. If not, I'll keep company with a good book I just downloaded.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

I've started going to my local running clubs Sunday long runs, sort of.  They meet at 8, or 7 for those wanting a longer run. I'm the slowest by far, (12:00 vs 9:00 for easy/long) so I go at 7:30.  I run alone but finish at the same time and join everyone for coffee.  Gives me structure and camaraderie without killing me on pace.

running metalhead

I've never really like running with other people for several reasons:

1. It's my time to be alone and think about things.  I enjoy having that time to relax.

2. I like adjusting my pace when I feel like it. 

Completely coincide, plus the fact that I am a very asocial person in all aspects of my life. My better half says I must have autism.

I joined my local athletics club in 2012 and I actually learned a lot about how to behave and micro-pace yourself in a race, I mean getting used to the behaviour of a pack of runners. I would say this allowed me to cut a few minutes this year and reach my best time ever in a Half.

Actually what happens is that I work at IT support at a payment service provider so that my job consists in resolving web integration issues for customers or any issue that happens internally. So that I rally don't have too much time for myself and running means for me the time were I am absolutely and completely disconnected from everything and everybody except the trail and my own body. I run without a smartphone, of course.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Cyberic

I run alone 99.9% of the time. But when I do run with someone else, almost always on Easy runs when pace is not important, I love it. Time just flies by.

Thing is the time I spend (invest?) on running, I want it all to be running time. To run with others, I'd have to run or drive to some place, wait for everyone to get there, and then start running. Lost time there. Plus, it would have to be at a certain precise time. Again, there would be lost time there, waiting for that scheduled hour.