Yasso's (Read 1063 times)

Scout7

Wait a minute. I thought the deal with Yasso is that if you want to run a marathon in xTight lippedx h:mm, you run repeat 800s in xTight lippedx m:ss (in other words, a 3h:40m marathoner runs Yasso 800s in 3m:40s), not 800s at your marathon goal pace. Am I wrong about this? (probably Blush )
    That's why it's a predictive tool. It's not a workout that you do to make you faster. It's a workout used to gauge the effectiveness of your training. If my goal pace for my marathon is 3:10, I want to be able to complete the workout by running 3:10 800s. I don't use the workout to GET to that point. I just use it to check my current fitness, and then later on to see if my training has been effective to get me to the point where I can most likely run that 3:10.
    JakeKnight

110% agree, but it's kind have gotten sold that way to the public.
      Is it? Or do a lot of runners take it that way? Or do a lot of writers-who-aren't-really-runners read the original articles and then make it seem that way? To be fair, I have to admit: when I tried them when I was just trying to break 4:00, my first thought was .... Hey! I can run a 3:40 marathon! So maybe you have a point ...

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Is it? Or do a lot of runners take it that way? Or do a lot of writers-who-aren't-really-runners read the original articles and then make it seem that way?
        JK FTW

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

Bottom line no matter how fast you run your Yassos, keep your cadence at 180+/-1 and give 101%.
          Well, of course. And eat ethical ketchup. This other stuff doesn't matter.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

But even that's flawed. I once did 6x800 in 2:20~2:25. But plug any of my PRs into any racing calculator, and you'll quickly see that I could never ever ever run a 2:20~2:25 marathon. Plug a 2:20~2:25 marathon into McMillans, and all of the times for the shorter distances crush my PR's. So I personally am calling BS on the whole thing. Other than the fact that repeat 800's are a killer workout. Cool
            I do know you are suppose to do 10 intervals not 6. But when so many people use it as a successful predictor its kind of hard to call it bs. I would not be for or against using it and realize not everyone follows the norm.
              But even that's flawed. I once did 6x800 in 2:20~2:25. But plug any of my PRs into any racing calculator, and you'll quickly see that I could never ever ever run a 2:20~2:25 marathon. Plug a 2:20~2:25 marathon into McMillans, and all of the times for the shorter distances crush my PR's. So I personally am calling BS on the whole thing. Other than the fact that repeat 800's are a killer workout. Cool
              Yasso's primarily indicate VO2max "fitness and "ability" to support a specific marathon time. However, they are not a good measure of endurance, LT and running economy....all of which have a greater impact on actual marathon performance. Thus, they are a reasonable test to check off one box....the VO2max box....in a marathon training and development program. For more comments on Yasso's, see "Yasso's - Training Tool or Test" at http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id45.html and "My Yasso 800 Experiences" http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id98.html.

Burninated Peasant

Burninated Peasant

For me, Yasso 800s predicted a marathon time that is way way faster than my physical/genetic capability.
                  This is the case for me as well - there's a 25-30% bump from the Yasso time to my marathon time. I've always seemed to slow down more than most at longer distances though. MTA: removed scary bold tags from quote
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I do know you are suppose to do 10 intervals not 6. But when so many people use it as a successful predictor its kind of hard to call it bs. I would not be for or against using it and realize not everyone follows the norm.
                    Well, I hate it when people try to use the exception to prove the rule, so maybe I should stop being such a Yassole and shut up, eh? Although I can think of few personal examples where Yasso's are inadequate prediction tools for me, I can't use that to generalize runners at large. Therefore, I declare that on this, the Tenth day of January in the Two Thousand and Eighth year of the Christian Era that Yasso 800's are B.S. for Jeffgoblue and Jeffgoblue alone. The views expressed in this declaration are the expressed personal views of Jeffgolue and inclusion of them in this forum does not in any way shape or form indicate endorsement on the part of Running Ahead, its founder, members, or the running community as a whole. Any re-broadcast or re-transmission of this post without the expressed written permission of Jeffgoblue is prohibited. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. See participating stores for details. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Employees and their families are not eligible. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. For entertainment purposes only. Not intended to foster a belief in psychic reading. Results shown are not typical. Your results may very. Pregnant women, the elderly, and children should avoid prolonged exposure to this declaration. If ingested, do not induce vomiting. May contain nuts. Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear. Do not use if safety seal is broken.May cause itchiness, swelling, nausea, dizziness, flatulence, and/or priapism. If symptoms persist, consult your doctor.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Sine Metu

I still like 800s and 1000s for marathon training, but it's polishing stuff. It's great for VO2max. I keep recovery short, 90sec for 800s and 120sec for 1000s. This keeps it more aerobic. The best marathon predictor I've found is mile repeats (with a 200m HR - equalizing lead-off) at 163-165 BPM...this works because I know that this is about the HR I can sustain for a marathon. With long 400m jog recoveries, I do 4Xmile the week before a marathon, during taper, and darned if the pace I run for these miles isn't usually spot-on to my marathon.
                      A specific HR range like that isn't really for everyone. Just so that some older runner doesn't go try to achieve that range and experience exploding heart syndrome. Also, the thing about all these calculators and predictors is that they are assuming that you are properly trained for the distance in question, with adequate volume over time. So, the Yasso 800's are going to be more accurate for a more seasoned runner than a runner who has built up to 15 MPW in his/her 2 months experience.

A lot of pressure in the middle of those shoulders / And we ain't gettin nothing but older / Ain't nothing change but the day we run from / But nobody knows that better than you,huh

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Also, the thing about all these calculators and predictors is that they are assuming that you are properly trained for the distance in question, with adequate volume over time. So, the Yasso 800's are going to be more accurate for a more seasoned runner than a runner who has built up to 15 MPW in his/her 2 months experience.
                        Fantastic point and absolutely true. My point is that at a time in my life when I was running 60-70 mpw and long runs up to 20 miles, if I had decided my goal was to run a 2:30 marathon, Yasso's would have told me it was attainable, when the reality is that I could have never come close to running that fast. (I ran a 25k that year in 1:36, which is equivalent to about a 2:48 marathon. And I think it's reasonable to predict a marathon from a 25k race). I guess this makes me the exception. And the Yassole. Or is it Yasshole?

Marathonmanleto

Hey Yasshole--nice disclaimer, damn you must be a Michigan grad! Did you hear the latest from A2 Spring graduation will take place at Rynearson Stadium (EMU) due to the construction at the Big Mess--I mean House. Causing some very unhappy campers.
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hey Yasshole--nice disclaimer, damn you must be a Michigan grad! Did you hear the latest from A2 Spring graduation will take place at Rynearson Stadium (EMU) due to the construction at the Big Mess--I mean House. Causing some very unhappy campers.
                            Get a degree and not graduate in the Big House? I'd feel like Bluto from Animal House -- "Seven years of college down the drain..." Tongue

Feeling the growl again

A specific HR range like that isn't really for everyone. Just so that some older runner doesn't go try to achieve that range and experience exploding heart syndrome. Also, the thing about all these calculators and predictors is that they are assuming that you are properly trained for the distance in question, with adequate volume over time. So, the Yasso 800's are going to be more accurate for a more seasoned runner than a runner who has built up to 15 MPW in his/her 2 months experience.
                              I didn't say it was for everyone, I said it worked for ME because I already knew this was my marathon HR Confused Jeff, I have TWO degrees from Michigan and never graduated in the Big House. I'd been to enough graduations by that point and celebrated in Good Time Charlie's instead.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jeff, I have TWO degrees from Michigan and never graduated in the Big House. I'd been to enough graduations by that point and celebrated in Good Time Charlie's instead.
                                Good point. Truth is that mine (engineering) was in Crisler Arena. I don't remember much of it -- I was so hung over that I nearly missed it, despite the fact that it was at 5pm. Hmm, oddly enough, some of that previous evening included a few drinks at Good Time Charlie's. Cool