Greater Lowell Road Runners (Read 133 times)

Any members here willing to share info?  I have been thinking about joining a group for a few months and live in Bedford, MA.  Just getting back into racing after a 15-year hiatus - but would love to chase some speedsters.

How often do you run together?  Structured track workouts?  Active women's and masters groups?

Thanks in advance  - I have to admit I am a bit nervous about running with a group of kick ass racers.....

Ready, go.

mikeymike

PaulyGram lives in Illinois and he joined so that should tell you something.

There are a lot of us Angry Chickens here on RA. I joined at the end of 2012--I followed BadDawg, Scully and Bash in one of those can't beat 'em join 'em type things. Best decision I've ever made in running. There is a lot of info on the website which you've probably already found, and there's a very active facebook group that's public so you can get an idea of what goes on.

There is a Saturday group run in Lowell that I never make it to but it's always there as an option. There are Thursday night track workouts in Chelmsford in the summer and in Lexington in the winter so they have you surrounded if you're in Bedford. And there is always someone racing somewhere. GLRR is such a big club that there are lots of little groups who train together on the side (outside the official GLRR organized runs and workouts) because of location or schedule or whatever.

There's a decent but not too serious emphasis on the New England grand prix road races which are a blast if you're wearing green (next on is Rib Fest 5-miler in Merrimack). We enter teams in the NE Grand Prix cross country series and send a team to club nationals as well. We have active womens and mens masters teams for sure. The 26x1 mile club challenge relay hosted by Somerville Road Runners is coming up in June and we will be actively seeking fast women since each scoring team needs a minimum of 10 women. The Baystate marathon is our biggest fundraiser and it's expected that members volunteer. And running the Mill Cities Relay in December for GLRR is about as much fun as you can have standing up, and I'm not just saying that because I was on the Co-Ed masters team "Bourne to Trott" that won its division last year.

It's one of the largest and most inclusive running clubs in New England but probably the best thing about it is it doesn't take itself too seriously. We train hard and race hard, but at the end of the day this is all just for laughs and beers. So yeah, join.

Runners run

PaulyGram lives in Illinois and he joined so that should tell you something.

And, he's a mighty fine runner!

What Mikey said and it really is the best decision I've ever made in running as well. Really good group of people.

Also, just looked at some of your times, a few of us ran The Great  Stew Chase, sign up ASAP. You would be a great addition to our team and we could use fast women for the 26x1 in a few weeks. Plus, it's a great event to meet everyone since we'll probably have close to 60 people there

Mike and I will sell you on XC once you sign up.

Kalsarikännit

PaulyGram lives in Illinois and he joined

Despite that, I still think Tara should join.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

joescott

You guys have a lot of good things going on for runners up in the northeast.  Out here in what is relatively a running desert it's pretty lonely.  Local running clubs are OK but in my experience suffer from a dearth of people who really want to run fast and get better.  There is at least one "elite" club in the area that I barely qualify for with my best 3000 and 5k times, but I think they are exclusive in a bit of a snooty kind of way -- I've reached out to a couple of their members on a couple of occasions and they are polite but seem interested in me joining them not at all.  Although I have to say this gives me nice incentive and satisfaction to smoke their jerseys in races whenever I can, which is often enough.  If I had an opportunity in this area like GLRR, as Mike has described it, I'd jump on it.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

PDoe

I believe GLRR was also awarded the 2013 "Club of the Year" by the local USATF chapter. Even as a member of a rival team,  I will say "Well done".

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You guys have a lot of good things going on for runners up in the northeast.  Out here in what is relatively a running desert it's pretty lonely.  Local running clubs are OK but in my experience suffer from a dearth of people who really want to run fast and get better.  There is at least one "elite" club in the area that I barely qualify for with my best 3000 and 5k times, but I think they are exclusive in a bit of a snooty kind of way -- I've reached out to a couple of their members on a couple of occasions and they are polite but seem interested in me joining them not at all.  Although I have to say this gives me nice incentive and satisfaction to smoke their jerseys in races whenever I can, which is often enough.  If I had an opportunity in this area like GLRR, as Mike has described it, I'd jump on it.

Snooty mid-westerners!  You have to go to New England to find open, friendly, humble people.

I suppose GLRR would accept us, but it would be difficult to be active participants.

runnershawn

I have recently joined GLRR and it is a great group of people.  Also, it is well run and communication is great.  You know about every event that is going on in an appropriate amount of time.  Join away.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

They like burgers and beer

Swoon

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                      Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Kalsarikännit

BadDawg is pretty handsome in his green singlet. The rest of the characters seem shady.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I don't mind shady.  Don't know if green will do anything for me tho....

Seriously all- thanks for all the info.  I will have to check it out - good to know it's a fun group of ppl that might not make this 45 year old  feel too intimidated....always nice to have fast running partners to chase during a workout.

Ready, go.

I live nowhere near Lowell but when I ran the Sugarloaf marathon last weekend I noticed there was a very good showing by the GLRR club with their green singlets.  Must have been 10 of them in the race?

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals