Frauds as Philosophers (Read 841 times)

I learned my Freshman year that any time you read the word "existential," you could just substitute the word "groovy," and be no less in the dark.

And it works the other way around, as well: during surfer/ beach movies, you could substitute "existential" when somebody said "groovy."

To wit: Your Groovy Self 

and Husserl and Heidegger(Modern Existentialism).

Note how Bryan Magee looks like Mr. Magoo. He says the e-word 'round 2:30 or so.

Ostrich runner

Personally I have been hoping Jeff would give us insight into Kierkegaard's aesthetic existence and how it might relate to the barefoot movement specifically and also in the context of the overarching dialectic. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Personally I have been hoping Jeff would give us insight into Kierkegaard's aesthetic existence and how it might relate to the barefoot movement specifically and also in the context of the overarching dialectic. 

My dialectics are kinda sore at the moment.

Scout7

On one hand, barefoot running could be seen as a way of avoiding responsibility for the training one has been doing.  In other words, in my opinion, many people who have been successful with barefoot running owe more to finally slowing down, building mileage slowly, and easing through the training.  Those who get injured while adopting barefoot tend to follow the typical mistake of doing too much, too hard, too soon, and thus not allowing the body to properly adapt to the changes.

Also, some people are simply attracted to the stimulation, and raging debates on message boards could easily be considered a form of stimulation.  Considering most of these debates serve little, if any, actual purpose or provide any real benefit to anyone other than the person attempting to gain a level of pleasure from the situation, I would say this qualifies as well.  It's self-serving in its approach.

Note, none of what I have written is in any way of defamation of particular individual or method of training.  It is merely a philosophical exercise.

In other words, if what I wrote offends you, that's your problem, not mine, and you need to lighten up, Francis.

Why is it sideways?

Ascetic is the word you were looking for (I think.)

K actually was not an ascetic, though, so maybe not. He was a partier and a womanizer even though he was continually racked by pain because of a spinal disorder.

K's best stuff is on the knight of faith. This actually relates to the other thread, since his view of Christianity was that it was essentially tragic in nature because it demands infinite faith, which can only be achieved through infinite doubt. It also requires meeting simultaneous impossible demands: see, for example, the story of Abraham and Isaac. In order to prove himself faithful to God, Abraham had to show willingness to break God's law.

As is well known, K's view of religious belief is that it is essentially higher than rationality, and he articulated it in opposition to Hegel's view that the movement of the holy spirit was dialectical, progressive, and rational. K thought the holy spirit was tragic, aesthetic, and personal.

Insofar as barefooting goes, I believe that K would admire only those barefooters who remained faithful to barefooting after it caused the demise of their running. This would be the true proof of their faith, as any other relationship to barefooting would be merely dialectical, rationalistic, and instrumental and not achieve the faith relation, which being transcendent must not hold itself accountable to temporal consequences.

Best regards,

a fraudulent philosopher

This thread delivers.  But I can't get the package open.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Ostrich runner

No, I wasn't talking about asceticism, though that could also be an interesting conversation. 

I was more looking towards the experience of the sensual and his writing in Either/Or. And even perhaps the fantasy of an ascetic (or other) ideal to tie the two together. Are the language and arguments of barefooting proponents ideal or actual. If barefooting is, in fact, based upon the esthetic sphere of life, can it advance to the ethical or religious spheres? Is this progression represented in the now rote dialogue between proponents and detractors of minimalism/barefooting? 

Why is it sideways?

No, I wasn't talking about asceticism, though that could also be an interesting conversation. 

I was more looking towards the experience of the sensual and his writing in Either/Or. And even perhaps the fantasy of an ascetic (or other) ideal to tie the two together. Are the language and arguments of barefooting proponents ideal or actual. If barefooting is, in fact, based upon the esthetic sphere of life, can it advance to the ethical or religious spheres? Is this progression represented in the now rote dialogue between proponents and detractors of minimalism/barefooting? 

*slow clap*

Ostrich runner

*slow clap*

That's as deep fraud as I can do.

Tramps

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to run in it.

Be safe. Be kind.

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to run in it.

The world is run by philosophy, if not always explicitly.

MTA: I know you were quoting a philosopher, by the way.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

We went from existentialism to barefoot running in two posts, which must be a record of some sort.

I love page one.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

We went from existentialism to barefoot running in two posts, which must be a record of some sort.

I love page one.

DW was surprised when her blog about her bike trip in the rain was cited in a grad student's thesis on existentialism.  She thought she was just taking a bike ride.

xor

Judy Garland.

Heh.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

She thought she was just taking a bike ride.

Sometimes a cigar is just a penis.