Spreadsheet question (Read 107 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Spreadsheet question for all you spreadsheet peeps.

I’d like to set up a spreadsheet with a running balance between two people, say George and Tom. In some cases George gives money to Tom, and in some cases Tom gives money to George. I could just do an simple running total where I code one person as + and another person as -, and have a positive balance imply George, and a negative balance imply George. I dunno, this seems a bit of a kluge.

Is there a better way to do it where I could show a running Balance lean towards George or Tom, depending on who has given the most?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Where A14 is the sum of George's contributions, B14 is the sum of Tom's contributions, A15 is the difference (George - Tom) and B15 =ABS(A15):

=IF(A14>B14, CONCATENATE("Tom owes George ", TEXT(B15,"$0.00")), CONCATENATE("George owes Tom ", TEXT(B15,"$0.00")))

mikeymike

I suggest you stay out of it and let George and Tom handle their own debts.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nice.

How do I code the contributions to that the formula knows the contributor?

#artbydmcbride

Tom$50, George$50

Runners run

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

This is a Beer Balance Sheet, isn't it?

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Nice.

How do I code the contributions to that the formula knows the contributor?

Um, I don't know.  A database would be needed, I think.

Or, settle up after the drinking is done, so nobody cares.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ennay figured it out. I'll let her share the info, but it involves if then statements

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey