what's your opinion on private maps (Read 2740 times)

mikeymike

Hey that map name and description looks familiar!

Runners run

eric :)

Hey that map name and description looks familiar!
      LOL! What are the chances of that! I was wondering who made that map, and if that person noticed that I used it. When did you move to New York?
      mikeymike

LOL! What are the chances of that! I was wondering who made that map, and if that person noticed that I used it. When did you move to New York?
        That's the funny thing, I didn't move to New York. That map is from when I was in NYC for work a few weeks ago. I ran that route like twice and just never deleted it. It is to/from the hotel where I was staying.

Runners run

It's ironic that when I finally gotten around to create an easier way to find maps, I might have to end up hiding everything, which then renders the map locator useless. Evil grin Also, the maps have no personal information associated with them. You can't find out who made it. But, if you all feel so strongly about it, then that's what I'll have to do.
          Well, first off, if putting in the feature means that you'll set every map & the default to private, I'd just as soon you did neither. I'm willing to bet that 95% or more of maps would be end up private if that were the default (most people never mess with the defaults). Then I'd never be able to find anything at all. I'd rather have middling access to more route ideas, than great access to none. One of the things I've liked about this site is the ability to look at where other people like to run. Would you be able to do something to fuzz the endpoints instead? All of my maps are public (at least, I think so...) but I'm male, not that attractive, kind of big, and not used to thinking of people stalking me. Other people have better reason to be cautious. Thinking about it, I really don't see the privacy implication. If there's no way to determine which maps belong to whom, or even group by owner, what's the problem? You'd have to stalk someone for a while to figure out which maps were probably theirs and by then, well, you're already stalking them... Great, now you've got me thinking "Well, If I wanted to stalk someone...".
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent: if I have to reset the map access modes, I'll set yours to be public. The group maps have a different set of access control and should not be affected by it.
            Thank you!!
            One of the things I've liked about this site is the ability to look at where other people like to run.
            AMEN!!!
              It's ironic that when I finally gotten around to create an easier way to find maps, I might have to end up hiding everything, which then renders the map locator useless. Evil grin Also, the maps have no personal information associated with them. You can't find out who made it. But, if you all feel so strongly about it, then that's what I'll have to do. Trent: if I have to reset the map access modes, I'll set yours to be public. The group maps have a different set of access control and should not be affected by it.
              Eric, I really don't care about my maps being public. I think it just makes people more comfortable if the system defaults to private. I understand your point however...i.e., if all maps are private, how do you locate any maps? We might all end up lost Smile
              eric :)

I'm willing to bet that 95% or more of maps would be end up private if that were the default (most people never mess with the defaults). Then I'd never be able to find anything at all. I'd rather have middling access to more route ideas, than great access to none.
                That is so true! That's one of the reasons why I'm not keen on reseting everything to be private.
                Finbarr

How about not resetting all maps to private, and if that means all the maps go public,then put a notice on the site a week before you intend to make the change that will make all maps public. Putting the approximate time there too would be nifty. Then, after you've made the change, put another notice on the front page of the site indicating that you've made the change, and all maps that the user has not manually reset to private after the date and time of the change, must go back and reset their maps to private if they want them to be private. I for one will make sure to make my maps private if I see such a notice. Put the onus on the user, but give them notice first.
                    Ditto on the forced privacy, then individuals make public what they want public. Too many nuts out there, sad to say. So, better safe than sorry...
                    "It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves" -Sir Edmund Hillary-
                      All of my maps are public (at least, I think so...) but I'm male, not that attractive, kind of big, and not used to thinking of people stalking me. Other people have better reason to be cautious.
                      Just an FYI for all of you: Statistically, men are actually more likely to be mugged than women. I dont know about being stalked. Just thought I would help you guys be a bit more paranoid next time you are out alone late at night.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, abbaroodle, but I KNOW where you live... Evil grin And where you run ...
                          Okay, I'll clarify............ I don't think you should reset all the current maps to private. Had it been THAT important to me, I would have made sure to make it so. However, for maps from now on, it would be cool to have it default to private. Either way, it's not a deal breaker for me. I'll continue to use the site regardless.
                          "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

How about not resetting all maps to private, and if that means all the maps go public,then put a notice on the site a week before you intend to make the change that will make all maps public. Putting the approximate time there too would be nifty. Then, after you've made the change, put another notice on the front page of the site indicating that you've made the change, and all maps that the user has not manually reset to private after the date and time of the change, must go back and reset their maps to private if they want them to be private. I for one will make sure to make my maps private if I see such a notice. Put the onus on the user, but give them notice first.
                            There are actually users who don't check in every week. Shocked Shocking, I know! How anyone could live without their RA addiction is beyond me... And there are users who haven't checked in for months and who may or may not ever check in again. Poor souls. If we go this route, what do we do about them?

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There are actually users who don't check in every week. Shocked Shocking, I know! How anyone could live without their RA addiction is beyond me... And there are users who haven't checked in for months and who may or may not ever check in again. Poor souls. If we go this route, what do we do about them?
                              Send out the flying monkeys...? Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'm going to come down on the side of NOT making all the existing maps private. All of mine are public and I'd have to go back in and reset them all. If the majority wants to have the default privacy setting as private, I guess I can live with that, one extra click when creating a route is no bigge, although I don't really see the need since there's no way to determine who created a map unless they put that information in the name of the map when they saved it. For instance, I know that there is at least one other RA user in Ruskin, FL (not including the wife) because 2 of their routes come up in a search, but I have no frickin' clue who it might be because there is nothing to identify them.
                                The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. -- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

Help to defeat Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please sponsor me in The Ride to Defeat ALS. I'm riding in memory of my dad.
                                http://runpebsrun.blogspot.com