Proper Lacing = Bye, Bye Foot Pain! (Read 2036 times)

I was having a little bit of foot pain for a few weeks.  It was getting to the point where I was getting concerned.  Also, my newest pair of flats were especially painful for that right foot.  The other day I stumbled upon "Lacing the Lydiard Way" and - POOF! - no more foot pain.  Ran 14 in the new flats yesterday and the foot feels fine.  It's amazing how the little things you don't even think about can be the most important.

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

...The other day I stumbled upon "Lacing the Lydiard Way" and - POOF! - no more foot pain.  Ran 14 in the new flats yesterday and the foot feels fine... 

You're welcome! ;o)

Good to know what we do actually does help some people...

POOF!-no more foot pain looks interesting, I'll have to give it a try.  Nice color-coded step by step graphics Nobby, even I couldn't screw it up.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I'm noboby, who are you?

And if that techniques doesn't work, here are 32 others.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

Beware, batbear...

The only bad thing is if you've got shoes with the weird lace-holders instead of holes.  I haven't taken the time to poke holes in my shoes...I guess I could.

I've got about three pair going in rotation.  Lydiard lacing in two of them.  The third pair is a pair of trail shoes that don't feel right laced differently, but I have noticed more bumpage on the back of my foot when wearing them.  Maybe I should figure out how to lace them up the Lydiard way as well.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

...The third pair is a pair of trail shoes that don't feel right laced differently,... 

Actually, this describes it perfectly, doesn't it?  I mean, why even try that if it doesn't feel right?  I do most of my shoes the Lydiard Way but not all--simply because it doesn't feel right.  There's this one pair that L-way felt a bit loose so I switched back to a regular way.  After a while, it was pinching my feet so I went back to L-way and it felt so much better so I stayed back there. 

It does get a bit tricky if the material is very frimsy or those "rings" or the eye-lets (on single side) is odd numbered.  There's one pair of shoes that it just didn't feel right; but when I went back to a regular lacing, the front half of my feet felt too tight.  I ended up applying a half-and-half; L-way the front half and regular on the top half.  It works well now.

I was talking to Patti Dillon a few years ago and I asked her one thing I always wondered--her lacing system.  She always had this weird lacing system where she misses middle part of it.  "I have very high foot on the top," she said; "and it hurts if I tie it all the way."  A simple thing like lacing DOES make a difference.

I concur here.....

My shoes always seemed tight across the top of my foot (i know they were the right size for me) and my feet never really felt comfortable while running......just before a race i would tie and re-tie my shoes over and over and still they never really felt right........sometimes I would stop during a training run to re-tie my shoes because they seemed too thight across the top of the foot.....and kind of pinched.

i also found 'Lacing the Lidiard Way"  and theoretically, it made sense to me so i tried it.........PROBLEM GONE IMMEDIATELY........Now all my running shoes are laced this way and I never have these problems......this lacing system really works for me...

Champions are made when no one is watching

You're welcome! ;o)

Good to know what we do actually does help some people...

It absolutely does. And did. Thanks.

Link didn't work. Page not found.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I use the lace lock technique on all of my shoes.  The only problem this sometimes poses is laces that aren't long enough.  So I often will skip a row across the ball of the foot to offer more length--this helps solve the issues of shoes that are often a hair too narrow, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jules2

Apart from on cross country races where the mud can suck a shoe off I use elastic laces they never come undone and allow your feet to expand on longer races.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Did a variation of the lacing. Did not skip any slots. 10 miler .No pain. Lydiard lacing caused arch to hurt. Flat feet.  After 4 months of pain I was ready to go to the  podiatrist. Thanks for the heads up.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

This link worked after I googled running show lacing methods

I use Lydiard lacing that I found on runnersworld and then saw it in a Lydiard paper that I found. Runnersworld didn't give him credit for it. I leave it loose near the to to reduce pressure on nerve of left foot.

bob e v
                            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I'm noboby, who are you?

replace  http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm  with

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacing.htm  Don't how "methods" got inserted.