i don't run because i want to be good at it (Read 384 times)

.......I run because I am still growing, and I want to grow up right. Plus, if i didn't run, i would just end up fat, or skinny-fat. I'm a young guy at 17, and it would be so much easier to just smoke pot or do drugs, but I want a body I can be proud of when I'm old. Not obsessively, just healthy. I feel crazy for this, sometimes. People make fun of me, and super-serious jocks do so mercilessly.

The American society of Doctor's Whatever says young people of my age need at least 60 minutes a day of aerobic exercise. So that's what I strive for. I just need some guidance sometimes to keep myself from going crazy (I am OCD, ADHD, and mild schizophrenic). How often? How hard? Should I just not over think it? Should I try to have fun? plz help a young dude out. thanks

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

Feeling the growl again

The most important thing you can do is be consistent and keep at it, so it has to be something you enjoy (fun).  That doesn't mean every single run will be fun...some will be hard, some will be at 5am when you would really rather sleep.  But having the health and body you are after will still make the overall experience fun.

As for the jocks laughing at you, most of them will never play another game after they hit 18 and will get fat sitting on the couch watching others play sports on TV.  Who cares what they think.  It's shocking how quickly people gain weight after high school.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Mmmmm...beer

+1 to what spaniel said, don't worry about the jocks, at your reunion they're gonna be fat and bald, at least they all were at my reunion last year. Smile

You're making a great decision to get fit and stay fit while you're young.  As for your running, I would say keep it nice and easy for the most part.  Every once in a while if you feel like going a lil faster, go for it, but not every day.  Keep it easy and fun and you'll be more likely to stick with it.  You can always get more focused later if you want to get competitive, but for now just enjoy it.

Pushups and pullups are a good habit to get into as well, great for the upper body and easy to do anywhere.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Not much to add, except to say that you're doing what you're doing for all of the right reasons. Consider throwing a little strength training into the mix -- nothing crazy, just enough to mix it up a bit.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As for the jocks laughing at you, most of them will never play another game after they hit 18 and will get fat sitting on the couch watching others play sports on TV.  Who cares what they think.  It's shocking how quickly people gain weight after high school.

With very few exceptions (like my elite marathoner classmate who still holds the 2mi record at our alma mater), the extreme jocks from HS are some of the least healthy, most unhappy people 20+ years after the fact.  The ones who have let themselves go the least tend to be those of us who worked hard, but never excelled at any sports.

To stay motivated maybe you could register for a few races here and there.  This is what I do.  It's easy to want to slack off when weather is bad.  Having even a 5k on the horizon can be good motivation.  You don't have to have a goal of any awards, but PRs are pretty nice.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Tiefsa

+1 to what spaniel said, don't worry about the jocks, at your reunion they're gonna be fat and bald, at least they all were at my reunion last year. Smile

Take it easy with the bald stuff!

Chantilly75

Nice to hear that you want to be healthy.

One of the problems with teenagers trying to run long distance, is they tend to run too fast, get out of breath and then have to walk. Then they feel discouraged.

You don't say how far you can run right now. Whatever it is, run till you feel a bit tired, then walk a little, run some more, until your 60 minutes is up.

At your age, you could do this 3-4 times a week at first, then up to 5-6 days a week.

I believe in having one or two days off a week.

Running distance is good for OCD and ADHD because it helps release good brain chemicals, and has a calming effect.

Don't worry about other kids making fun, my son ran and played sports and was made fun of.  Those kids who laughed never learned to enjoy a sport,  just sat playing video games or hanging out at the mall.

My son continued to run for health even after graduating and getting a job, because it is a simple way to stay in shape.

You could google training programs or get one of the many books about running.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Dude, looks like you have at least run a 5k at a good clip.  Hope you don't mind me posting but a 20:29 is a great 5k time.  Good job.  I also see some runs of 8 miles.  Awesome dude.  It also looks like you run almost everyday and you are getting some solid mileage in.

So where do you go from here?  Well what do you want to do?  Get faster or go farther?  I see no reason you can't do something new like a 5k, 10k, 15k or even a half marathon (in a couple of months).  The fact you are keeping your log up to date and you are running almost everyday tells me you are a serious runner.  I also see you like to bike.  Do you swim?  You could consider doing a triatholon Sprint.  Lots of options for you here.

Do you belong to the track team or the cross country team?  You will find more people like yourself with the cross courntry team or you could even join a local running group.  Yeah your a little young but you will find a lot more people like yoursefl.

Ignore anyone who makes fun of you.  They are not worth your time.  Do what makes you happy!  If it makes them happy to make fun of you then you are making the world a happier place.  Feel good about that.  Now if they do anything else then we have problems.  Words can only hurt you if you let them.  Your stronger than that.   Those that make fun of people are usually jeolous of the people they are making fun of or just have low self esteem and are looking for easy targets.

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                  • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                  • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
                  L Train

When you're a kid everything is new , dawn. It's just. When just when you get used to everything it's day. Like the way you dig sunsets,Pony. That's Gold. Keep it that way,it's a good way to be.I want you to tell Dally to look at one.He'll probably think you're crazy , but ask for me. I don't think he's ever really seen a sunset.And don't be bugged over being a greaser. You still have a lot of time to make yourself be what you want.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

+1 to the compliments on your desire to be healthy instead of a pothead.

And a BIG +1 to the comments about what you'll look like in 20 years - 20? heck, in 5 years, most of the "jocks" will have packed on quite a bit around the middle.  That said, this isn't something you should do just to look better than that other guy or because they were making fun of you, it should be something you want to do for yourself (which it sounds like you are - just pointing it out).

I wish I had started running at 17.  I spent a lot of years living a...not a terribly unhealthy lifestyle, but definitely not a healthy one.  One thing I would do if I had it to do over is join the track team, maybe do a little running in college.  Well, actually...probably not, since the college I attended didn't have track and that's where I met my wife, but the point is, I look at the track scene now and I have to admit, I'm a little envious that I never even dabbled in that world.  Looks like fun to me, but if it's not your thing, then absolutely just keep doing what you're doing, with maybe a little strength training, as others have said.

Oh, and you didn't say anything about your diet, but being careful with that can help you out in a lot of ways, not just with the running.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I also see you like to bike.  Do you swim?  You could consider doing a triatholon Sprint.  Lots of options for you here.

Or duathlons, if you don't swim. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

kcam

Damm, lot of hate here for the jocks from HS.  I wasn't part of that crowd myself but I keep in touch with some of those guys and they're just like everyone else.  Most of them matured into fine human beings, some are fit, some are bald, some are fat - just like a lot of other people that weren't jocks.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I don't really feel the need or desire to run competitively - I view running (exercise) as something necessary in order for my body to grow properly....and if I get good at running in the process, that's just an added perk

I didn't mean to hate on those who are gifted or enthusiastic in sports (I should not have used the term jock); it was simply that I have received numerous verbal dressing-downs when I tried to engage these guys in discussion about running. I either didn't know what I was talking about or "just wasn't runner material". These same guys are always talking about their sub-7 "easy" paces and PRs in front of girls too. Eventually I just said f*ck it and decided to run for me, alone.

For distance, the farthest I have done is 13 miles. 8 miles is a comfortable distance for me. Some days I don't wear a watch because I just wanna run.

And my diet isn't too bad, I don't eat too much junk and only drink water, but I am hungry a lot

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

Feeling the growl again

Damm, lot of hate here for the jocks from HS.  I wasn't part of that crowd myself but I keep in touch with some of those guys and they're just like everyone else.  Most of them matured into fine human beings, some are fit, some are bald, some are fat - just like a lot of other people that weren't jocks.

My post should not have been construed as hate for anyone, just to clarify. I was more sad than gloating when I saw former classmates get out of shape in just a few years.

The fact is that most HS jocks played team ball sports.  In general, once someone specializing in such sports gets out of organized school events it is much more difficult to continue with those activities.  I am not aware of a single football player from my HS team who ever played the game after their senior season was over.  Facilities and a decent-sized group of like-minded people are necessary.

It is an easier transition for people involved in individual sports and those requiring a minimum of equipment/facilities.

I do know a few "jocks" who were successful in staying in shape.  Some still play basketball at work over lunch.  Others took up running or cycling.  But these are, unfortunately, the exception...at least among those I went to school with.

I have seen a higher fitness retention rate among former runners....but by our mid-30s that rate is honestly south of 50%.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

For distance, the farthest I have done is 13 miles. 8 miles is a comfortable distance for me. Some days I don't wear a watch because I just wanna run.

And my diet isn't too bad, I don't eat too much junk and only drink water, but I am hungry a lot

A hungry 17 year old? Get outta here! Big grin