Nearing first 150 miles! and in only three months but not feeling the LOVE (Read 1973 times)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

My first thought here was of The Runner's Rule Book by Mark Remy. The very two first rules cover this topic.

Rule 1.1 (p.2) - HAVE FUN 

Includes the following statement: "Running is fun. Indulge this instinct. Enjoy it. After all, there aren't many animal impulses that we can act on in public without getting arrested."

Rule 1.2 (p. 3) - EXPAND YOUR DEFINITION OF FUN.

Expanded defs include (quoting his list, below):

• Waking up at 5:30 a.m. to run 10 miles
    • Running in blistering heat
    • Running in the rain
    • Running in 400-meter circles
    • Feeling as if your lungs are about to explode
    • Paying a race director good money for the privilege of turning your own toes black and blue
    • Any combination of the above

TRUST THE PROCESS

Gotta tell ya, I felt the love at the finish line!  I just completed my first 5 mile race last Friday night and loved it!  I did so well!  All the training and running through all my non loved moments really paid off, not only did I reach my goal of running it in under an hour, I came in at 57:06.  That was my PR!  I've noticed that it's "easier" to run a little faster now which is making it more enjoyable.

Thanks for all the support.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Excellent!  Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

sincerely silly

Yay congrats!

I must say I love this thread. =P I don't love running yet either...I'm just in a "like" phase...with sprinklings of great runs on nice days.  It usually takes an injury for me to figure out whether or not I really like a sport...I hope it doesn't come to that for you! 

What I like about running as a sport on a non-personal level is that improvement can be determined in so many ways and any way you like.

Just thinking about it makes me want to leave work to take a long walk-n-jog. (Nice weather in DC does not last long! =P) 

shin splints are my nemesis

Kathy,     feeling the love now??   remember that feeling when you get back out there on a daily basis & have those days where you don't feel the love!  that will help keep you going & finishing as well as getting you back out there the next day & the next & the day after that.

and oh by the way,   CONGRATULATIONS on an awesome performance!!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Gotta tell ya, I felt the love at the finish line!  I just completed my first 5 mile race last Friday night and loved it!  I did so well!  All the training and running through all my non loved moments really paid off, not only did I reach my goal of running it in under an hour, I came in at 57:06.  That was my PR!  I've noticed that it's "easier" to run a little faster now which is making it more enjoyable.

Thanks for all the support.

Yay!

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Congrats on your first race! I hope you find that love spreads to the days that you train. It really is a wonderful sport, and as said previously, you can make it what you like - so many ways to progress.

TRUST THE PROCESS

zonykel

I don't "love" running.

But I've found that there are some enjoyable things associated with running. If you run with a group, there is a social aspect to it. If you run in new places (particularly trails), that's neat. If you see some health improvements (lowering of rest heart rate, maybe some weight loss), that's a huge bonus.

In fact, the main reason I started running was because I watched a couple of documentaries regarding different mental illnesses, and they both mentioned that exercise does what no drug can do in preventing these illnesses. With a history of two grandparents with some sort of dementia, and me not remembering things all that well any more, I decided to start running as my main form of exercise.

I have also found that having external (artificial) goals, such as trying to finish a race under a certain time, gives me focus. I don't "enjoy" running per se, but the process of learning about running, improving oneself, etc. are positive factors in my opinion.

Lia's Daddy

I just spent a lot of money on physical therapy so that I could get back to running. Last night while running and feeling very out of shape I had to remind myself of the fact that there comes a time when the enjoyment outweighs the pain. I can't wait to get to that place again!!!

"Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen