Deviating from the "schedule" (Read 686 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I am following the Pfitz 55/18 plan. He has two rest days in the week but when I am feeling good I would rather do another easy run. I realize rest is good but I would rather listen to my body. If I wasn't following his plan I would just run but I am really hoping the plan gets me faster - therefore, I am struggling with Type A thought process. Surprised Thoughts?

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)
      I say do an easy run whenever you feel like it.
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        I say do an easy run whenever you feel like it.
        Agree. Likewise, listen to your body when things are not going so well, too (this is my biggest issue.) If you need a day to avoid turning an ache into an injury, take it. Hopefully someday, I will take my own advice...

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

While I have advised "you must become running's bitch," and stand by that as far as basic dedication, a corollary would be: don't be a slave to plans or schedules. No one other than runners, it seems, are so anal about following plans. Spend more time worrying about, say, financial planning. So: Be running's bitch. Be guided - but flexible - with your plan.
          mikeymike

Runners run.

Runners run

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

An easy run instead of a day off will bump your running up a notch - go for it!

The Greatest of All Time

I would spend that extra day in the gym lifting. But, I can't run right now anyway so....
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                Carps10

the schedule is arbitrary. the way your body feels is not arbitrary(you feel a certain way for a reason.) so you can base your training on accurate info or arbitrary info, your choice.