Woman's ring finger can reveal her sportiness (Read 1002 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well hell...my ring fingers are significantly longer than my index fingers...so why am I so slow (though I was an OK sprinter and would have been better with proper coaching, I'm certain) and can't read music to save my life (not for lack of trying, but it's too danged mathematical and I SUCK at Math)?! By Jeremy Laurance For an instant guide to how fast a woman can run, take a look at her hands. Women whose ring fingers are longer than their index fingers are quicker on their feet, offering a simple way of predicting who will win a race, researchers have found. The discovery could be a boon for parents wondering whether to shell out large sums on coaching - by providing an indication of their daughter's chances of turning into a sports star. Unlike men, most women have ring fingers that are shorter or the same length as their index fingers. Only a few have longer ring fingers. The finding adds to evidence that the ratio between the two fingers - not the length itself but their length relative to each other - is associated with a number of different personality traits, which include sexuality, fertility, intelligence, aggressiveness and musical ability. The difference is believed to be linked to the level of the male hormone testosterone, to which the foetus is exposed in the womb. Scientists have suggested that the higher the level of testosterone, the more masculine the resulting foetus is likely to be, with its associated traits of strength, fertility and mathematical ability. Unfortunately, while a longer ring finger is associated with some desirable traits, such as musical skill, a longer index finger is associated with others, such as intelligence, past research has shown. Professor Tim Spector, of the twin research and genetic epidemiology unit at St Thomas's Hospital in London, who conducted the latest study, said he had been sceptical about the claims. "I didn't believe this stuff. Most of the studies were based on small numbers and the findings could easily be spurious," he said. Professor Spector decided to test the claims because he had access to a large database of twins, on whom he has been conducting research for 20 years. He examined X-rays of the hands of 607 female twins aged between 25 and 79, and compared the lengths of their index and ring fingers. The women also ranked their highest level of sports achievement. The results, which are published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, showed that women with longer ring fingers were significantly better at most sports, especially those involving running, such as football and tennis. Professor Spector said: "I was quite surprised to find something. The idea is that it is due to the hormone levels [of testosterone] in the womb. The longer the ring finger, then the more butch you are. But also you are more likely to die from heart disease. "However, no one has detected these hormonal differences. We published a paper a few months ago which showed that 70 per cent of the effect was due to genes." Professor Spector said it was unlikely that a long ring finger conferred only good traits: "I would postulate that there is likely to be a downside too, such as people with longer ring fingers are likely to die sooner. If it conferred an evolutionary advantage, then everyone would have them."

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Roads were made for journeys...

Finished!

Well hell...my ring fingers are significantly longer than my index fingers...so why am I so slow
        hmm. my right hand has my ring finger just slightly shorter than the index finger...and my left hand has the ring finger quite a bit longer than the index finger.... *wail* I'm lopsided Wink
        Walk + Jog = wog.
        I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
        I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
        Wingz

Professional Noob

You're not the only one, woodlandsprite. Wink

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Um... remember this thread? http://www.runningahead.com/frm_topic.aspx?id=45709811eb064b39997c06c9da1be374
            Yeah, but that one seemed to dwell more on the guys, so I thought this an interesting parallel. Pretty much they are saying the same thing is true of women. k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Thought it was early dementia... Tongue

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thought it was early dementia... Tongue
                Oh, you have no idea! Seriously, I still have one of the worst memories when it comes to most things. I only remember really random stuff. I'm pretty good at Trivial Pursuit, though! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Well damn I guess I'm meant to be a slow poke Wink

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

RainDropRunner

Ummmm....what does it mean when on one had the ring finger is longer but on the other hand it is the same length. Maybe I win some lose some?

~RDR~

So, I just examined my fingers & discovered that I'm dumb & slow!!!! Cry
                      So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So, I just examined my fingers & discovered that I'm dumb & slow!!!! Cry
                        Well, you're still faster than me! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay