"I am burned out from running." (Read 192 times)

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Lukas V. is right -- Webb stands a better chance making the Olympics in triathlon than in track.  I think this would be a good switch for him.  His recent mile times are almost 4 seconds per lap off his peak.

As long as his swimming and biking come around, he has far, far more talent for the 10K than any athlete in triathlon on the world stage.

While an indisputable freakish talent, Webb has always seemed to struggle with the mental aspects of running.  I hope this change is just what he needs to gain the confidence to really find his skills again.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Chris Pinney

I can understand his decision. What first got me into running was the process. Its easy to improve initially but that last five percent is harder than the first 95. Worrying about weather you run a 3:57 or a 3:53, I don't think that would be much "fun". Sometimes you just need new challenges. Just my two cents.

Feeling the growl again

I can understand his decision. What first got me into running was the process. Its easy to improve initially but that last five percent is harder than the first 95. Worrying about weather you run a 3:57 or a 3:53, I don't think that would be much "fun". Sometimes you just need new challenges. Just my two cents.

It's not just that.  He's no longer worrying about improving...he can't improve.  It's been years since he's really been at an elite level.  I've wondered how he could keep the fire alive for some time.  I trained at a very, very serious level for a number of years.  Then in short order I started a full-time career, bought a house and property, and had my first kid.  It was mentally very, very hard to be running 60-70mpw and doing nothing more than slow down the rate at which I got slower.  After that I began to understand why so many elites just quit running once they retire.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Chris Pinney

I guess that is what I was trying to say, spaniel. The work and lifestyle required to run at that level is tough to say the least. There's an RA movie thead, I picture elite runners just lying around recovering. Not practical for most of us.