Aches and pains - do we all have them? (Read 769 times)

Along for the Ride

I started running in 2004 with the goal of running a marathon. Started in May 2004 and ran the marathon in November. Aches and pains - after long runs and the marathon. Time heals many wounds and erases painful memories ... Had a backinjury last year and am fully recovered from that. Now my goal is to build a nice base and be very consistent. I want to run a PR Half in November (beat 1:57) and want to run a PR Full next year in May (beat 4:59). Putting in consistent miles with some speedwork and strengthening should do the trick ... I do have nagging issues and pains that crop up every now and then. Shinsplints in April. Outer arch issues with tight calves for the whole summer now. The persistent arch/heel pain makes me wonder ... I am able to manage it by stretching/massaging. I am religious about my shoes. Will get back more into swimming and Yoga in the fall. The question for all of you: Do you have or had constant little issues that are too minor to complain about, but are there? Are they just a normal part of endurance athletics? Am I getting too old or maybe am not a "natural runner"? Do I need to give my body more time to adjust to the repetition of the weekly miles? What about motivation. How many of you have to coax yourself out the door in the morning, but then love the feeling after the run? It seems that there are so many guys and gals on here that log miles after miles each day and seem to be fresh and motivated for every run. Don't get me wrong, I love running!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. Running hurts. But usually not terribly and the pain should go away. When the pain goes away, it should be replaced by a nice gentle high. But Running hurts.
        Hell yeah. Little aches and pains are part of the game. And getting in shape hurts a lot more than staying in shape, but there are always little things here and there. Motivation? Takes practice. One of the benefits of being a morning runnner is that most days I'm on the road and running before my body even knows what happened--before that little voice in my head even has time to talk me out of it. I'm out there and I'm running and all is good. I'm a lot more fresh and motivated AFTER I run than before I run.

Runners run

Yes - massage helps Big grin Seriously, my issues tend to be after rather than during. I'm still learning when to keep going and when to take breaks. I'm also learning that if I have "issues" at a certain mileage level - then I need to stay there or back off - it's not time to keep increasing. Motivation for me is - I'm a junkie - don't know if it's adrenaline or endorphin - but I wants it Big grin knowing I'm going to get it if I run, gets me out the door - even when I really don't feel like it - I have rarely regretted making the effort to get out there, and anyways, if it really does feel bad after the first mile or so, I can always bag the run and walk (see, I really AM learning) Wink

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Chicago 26.2 07

Usually after my long runs but not after the 3 - 5 mile runs. My pains seem to show themselves mostly in my mid back and knees. But they usually feel better the day after I have a rest day. I guess that's why all the training programs call for at least one full day of rest and one x train day. By the way I'm 47 and in better shape than when I was 27
            Katie H

Chicago winter running

Learning what aches and pains you can run through and which you really need to give time to is part of the "Trial of Miles" that makes you into a runner, I think. I definitely get mine and have learned (and continue to learn) over the years what I have to listen to, and how I can prevent or treat things. As far as motivation (and aches & pains) I saw some running ad once that had a good slogan (it was something like): The miles can build you up or they can tear you down. I try to think of mine as building me up, since a lot of it can be about attitude. I also keep a list of my favorite running quotes on the wall in the bathroom and often read them while brushing my teeth, etc. I think the BEST running motivation book is "Once a Runner" by John L. Parker (coined that Trial of Miles term)!
              We must speak with all the humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we must speak. - MLK Jr.

Member Since 2008

Gabe, PAIN: When I run, I am usually in extreme pain the first half mile, then the pain either goes away or I get use to it. On long runs, I try to keep moving as much as possible after the run. If I sit down or am not active for very long after the run then the soarness sits in. MOTIVATION: My motivation is achieving the feeling I get when the pain goes away.
                Jeffrey

Hi, CONSTANT ISSUES: Yep. Something is always nagging me. As soon as one issue clears up, I get another one. Currently I have a hamstring issue ... and a tight left calf. I could go on. MOTIVATION: At this stage, I need to have an event on my calendar to stay motivated. My mind wanders when I don't have a race targeted. Once my running "clicked" and became a habit it was easier for me. I don't struggle with getting-out-the-door. I'm not fresh for every run -- sometimes I am as stale as sour candy. In that case, I just simmer down and run whatever pace the body wants to.
                    G.I. Jane, 1997 - a terrible movie, but a great comment on pain... THE CHIEF Pain is your friend. Your ally. It will keep you awake in times of emergency... it will tell you when you are seriously injured... it will keep you angry and remind you to finish the job and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain? CLASS No, sir! THE CHIEF It lets you know that you aren't dead yet.
                      I have aches and pains that come and go. Some were pretty painful when I got back into running but have really faded away. Others are odd pains that don't have a set pattern, they just flare up every so often; like shin splints that go away in a day, sharp pains in my feet, feeling of swelling in my knees. Oddly, my bursitis (in my hips) has gotten a lot better with the increase of mileage that I've done, I rarely notice it. I notice what ever it is that hurts but then move on, unless it's something that is still there and constant one to two days later. Then I take a closer look and pay more attention to it. Long runs (over 10 miles) tend to bring out some back pains, but they always go away by later that day. Also, my ankles do bother me every so often but this is only because I've rolled both of them.

Michelle

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Learning what aches and pains you can run through and which you really need to give time to is part of the "Trial of Miles" that makes you into a runner,
                        I think that's the key. I have run for extended periods of time where I was completely free of aches and pains. But if you're trying to seriously improve, there will be aches. On the other hand, it's nice to sometimes plateau for awhile and just settle in to comfortably running, tweaking your training and your form until there are no (or almost no) aches and pains.
                        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                          Yes and no. Yes, I have random pains in my foot every once in a while. Sometimes I walk/run funny for a millisecond and something just hurts but it goes away another second later. Some weeks I'm more tight than others...sleeping I think effects this. And if I ice after a hard run, I feel better the next day. However, I think I have phantom pains sometimes. I've had heel issues in the past so whenever they act up, I freak out and I think that it exaggerates the pain. Also, moving up in miles makes me nervous because I had a stress fracture a year ago and the stress that puts on me I think causes "fake" pain.