Benefit us all, please post. (Read 2047 times)

Sweaty

My Name: Is irrelevant. Female, 34 years old. I have only 6 months running and my weight was 69 Kilos now I am 56 Kilos , I started to run to release the stress of depression, health problems, now run by passion, but I have a relapse by injuries, but that's good normal. I want to say to all the people with health problems if it can, alone, with high self-esteem,Only requires willpower. Big grin. My first race of 10 K, 09/30/2007, with a time 01:11:00. My second race ok 10K, 11/11/07, with a part-time 5 k , 30:43 (I did better times.),And the 10 k in 01:02:20. Even though working to make my race last at least 58 minutes, my injury ( shin splints) not left me, I finished the race with a lot of pain. Cry I hope to have better news next, I hope to continue to improve my times, my pace, you can feel freedom to let their comments, good or bad will always be welcome. Smile Thank you all for sharing such inspirational stories.
    I donĀ“r suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single moment. L.L
      This is why I read all these replies!!!!!!! When I'm feeling sluggish, slow, and unmotivated, these stories get me going again. I am a 48 yr old female from the northern panhandle of WV. I live 200 yds from PA and 2 miles from Ohio so have lots of different places to run/race. I started running in January of 2006. I always walked, or did Step aerobics but never thought I could ever run. My daughter competed in 1600, 800, and 4 x 800 while in HS. She is now in college, studying Occupational Therapy. We would walk together and she would tell me to "run to the corner" or something similar. I insisted that I couldn't run and breathe. But I decided to just start slow.... walk, run, walk, run longer, walk less. Meanwhile, my friend from work had been running on a treadmill. She told me in January that there was a 5K at the end of May. It gave me a goal. I just wanted to finish without walking. I ran a 33:33 and was HOOKED!!!!!!!!! Since that race in May of 2006 we have ran an additional 25 races (2 10K's and the rest 5k's). I'm a middle of the pack runner, sometimes even an end of the pack runner, but pretty successful for my age group. My friend and I are both ICCU nurses and I think we can be an inspiration to our patients and co-workers. After every race we always wear our race shirts to work and everyone seems interested in our race reports, especially if we have medals!!!!!!!!!! Next on our goal is a 15K in April that a cardiologist (and fellow runner) has challenged us to run ( there's a treat from the Cheesecake Factory riding on this one)!!!!! And.....maybe, just maybe, a HM at the beginning of June in Morgantown, the home of the WVU Mountaineers!!!!!!!!!!!! So Happy New Year to you all, happy( and healthy) running to everyone!!!!!!!!
      Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>

Cause I CAN

I started running in 2005 for transplant games, I had entered the 400 m but couldn't finish it running. I made a promise to me that the following games, 2006, I would enter it again and run entire thing....It took me six months of the whole walk run deal but I finally ran all of it without walking or stopping then did it again at the games. When games were over, I wanted to run a mile so I started around August 06 and did it a month later. I couldn't leave well enough alone so on the day I got to 3 miles I entered a 5K so on and on, a year later I ran the marathon in october 07. I dont know what my pace was when I first started because I didnt keept track of it. I avarge anywhere from 11:30 - 12:30 pace with exception of marathon, my over all pace for that was almost 14.
        Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
        http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
          hmm, lemee see...I started running almost exactly 1 year ago, because I was uncomfortable with the way I looked. That hasn't really changed, because I didn't change my eating habits that much, so i've only lost about 7 lbs. I tried to add mileage too fast and ended up injuring myself, so even though i started last january, I've really only been running for about 6 months out of the past year. But I'm in it for good now - i have been out in some incredibly nasty weather, and I'm not letting that go to waste. I like sites like RA and occasionally kickrunners for a few different reasons - obviously they're great for motivation, but I also moved to a new city recently, and my boyfriend and I are finding it hard to meet & connect with people. Basically, we've only met people through our jobs, and all our friends are back in michigan, so it's really just the two of us out here. So going on the interweb helps me feel a little bit more connected to other humans. Hopefully my profile is visible, so anyone who's interested can get the vital stats...i'm still figuring out the rudiments of the site Smile
          billhathaway

Sort of running for about 1.5 years, consistently running for a year. Initial tempo pace 9:24 (average speed during a 2 mile race in mid-2006) Current tempo pace: 6:4X (for ~ 20 minute tempo runs) Current MPW (20-35 + 2-3 hours of spinning and racquetball, using the Furman.edu FIRST program) Background story for anyone that is interested. I ran cross-country and track in HS in the late 80s and really enjoyed it, but stopped running after that. I gained a lot of weight in the late 1990s/ early 2000s and would occasionally try exercising but never ended up sticking with it for any decent period of time. In mid-2006 I started working out fairly consistently on an elliptical trainer and the pounds started to come off slowly. Once I could do an hour on the elliptical, I thought I was in good enough shape to try running again. I entered an informal 2 mile race held by the local road runners and finished in 18:48. I was both really happy to have completed the race and also depressed by remembering how much faster I used to be back in HS. I started running once or twice a week (probably averaged 2-4 MPW) and cross-training almost all non-running days on the elliptical. The pounds were coming off faster and my times were improving bit-by-bit. In mid-December, some friends and co-workers encouraged me to sign up for the Lehigh Valley Half-Marathon which was 4 months away. I was initially pretty intimidated, but having a long-term goal helped, and I started running consistently( 3-5 days a week). I consider late December 2006 when I would first call myself a runner. By February, I was really enjoying running. In late April I was standing in the starting corral of the Lehigh Valley HM waiting for the race to kick-off and I was ecstatic. I couldn't believe that 10 months ago I was over 50lbs heavier and felt like I was going to die when running 2 miles. Now I felt confident I could complete 13.1 miles. I finished in 1:44 and enjoyed every minute of it.