Shoes and Blisters (Read 930 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

I bought new shoes, they gave me blisters in my arch's. So a week later the left is mostly healed and the right is very sensitive and still open. So needless to say my shoes are uncomfortable because the blisters still are uncomfortable. My question is this... are the blisters going to keep coming back in the same place? And if so should the shoes go back?
      Can only give you my experience. New shoes - first week felt odd. Put on padded moleskin to protect sensitive areas of feet - ran a couple of times, shoes are now fine. I didn't however get blisters that turned into open sores - just the base of my big toes felt overly rubbed. I would seriously consider taking the new shoes back. If not, run in your old shoes till the skin is healed and try with moleskin over the areas that got blistered before. Another thought - what sort of socks are you wearing?
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

The same thing happened to me, and I used Dr. Sholl's Blister Bandages on the blisters. They worked great! It took awhile, but the blisters healed totally. I kept the shoes, and I haven't had any more trouble. If I had to do it over again, though, I think I would have taken the shoes back.

Oh Mighty Wing

well I peeled the skin off because it wasn't healing so they weren't quite open sores caused by shoes... Blush
            I'd say the shoes are either the wrong size or the wrong type for your foot, if they have only been worn a couple of times I would try and exchange them. I have never gotten a blister. I am on my fifth pair and currently experimenting by not wearing socks. 4 runs so far, longest is 10k without socks. I will be going 16k without socks this Sunday. Maybe I'm just lucky Tongue

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

It may be too late to return them but it's not too late to demote them to everyday use. Your running shoes should not give you blisters. In 12 years of running and literally scores of running shoes, I've never had a blister. Yours may be too wide and are allowing your foot to slide around when you run. I'd suggest trying a different model. You should have lots of room around your toes but the shoe should fit well everywhere else. Tom
              kcam

I had the same problem (blistered arches) whenever I tried Nike shoes. I don't know what it is but they seemed to always blister my arches. I haven't bought a pair of Nike shoes for years because of this. If you can, return them and try a different pair. Socks can give your blisters as well. I bought some New Balance Second Skin racer socks because I love the feel of very, very light socks but don't like to run without socks. Well my feet are size 9 and the socks come in two sizes 4-9 or 9-13 - what to do? I went with 4-9 and they are tight. They push my toes together and now I've developed a blister between my big toe and second toe. Ya gotta be careful with any new equipment!
                  I am no skin expert, but don't the blisters just turn into calices, and then you are all set? Once you have a calice there, doesn't it prevent blisters from coming back there? Honestly, I am not sure...
                  PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season

Oh Mighty Wing

i had a pair of saucony Omni 5's first and at 8.5 they were too small so my next shoes were asics and i got them in 9.5... so I got Saucony Omni 6's at 9.5 but maybe I didn't need that much room in them... maybe I only needed a 9??

Hawt and sexy

Asics are made for tiny Japanese feet. Saucony are made for American feet. i have to go big in Asics and Mizunos, the rest are just a half size bigger than my normal shoes. Wanna see a fresh blister? I had a race this morning. Smile

I'm touching your pants.

NIce job!!!!! Awesome placing Cool Congratulations!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

Asics are made for tiny Japanese feet. Saucony are made for American feet. i have to go big in Asics and Mizunos, the rest are just a half size bigger than my normal shoes. I had a race this morning. Smile
                          Congrats on the PB! I actually find almost all running shoes fit me fairly well in a 10.5, Asics, Saucony, Puma, Reebok, etc. My soccer cleats and shoes are all size 10 Umbro though, and my skates are a 9 Micron. The difference is more in how tight you want each type of shoe for me. As far as the blisters go, I have found it takes 2-3 runs to break in an upper to my foot shape, and I did get a hot spot (no blister, but I don't usually blister easy) in one spot from a shoe that eventually gave me no problems. You can try changing how you're lacing your shoe, but in general, I don't wear a new shoe for a long run for the first week or two I've got it.

Oh Mighty Wing

blisters are healed so i'm going to try a run in them tomorrow... if the blisters return i am going to the running store to ask if i can go down half a size (exchange method)... keep your fingers crossed!

The Terminator

My new shoes gave me arch blisters, so I started putting a swipe of Body Glide on each arch, and wearing wicking socks (Balega Hidden Comfort). Sweaty feet cause blisters, so wicking socks help.

"In the South, the cotillion of Machiavelli is played as a soft-shoe, in three-quarter time." - Pat Conroy