Spike in Heartrate (Read 792 times)

Hey backstretch, could you have coughed or had a breathing issue at that point?
    Ya know I was thinking did I cough then? I did cough a few times at the start but then as you all say I settled in. MTA: I'll try and zoom in more

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

This looks like a blip. Just a single fast beat or two. If you coughed, you could have had a HR spike as a result. Or the monitor could have picked up a cough and erroneously registered it as a QRS. Or you could have jostled your cheststrap. To reiterate what Trent said:
      I suspect that the truth lies somewhere in the middle Smile
        This looks like a blip. Just a single fast beat or two. If you coughed, you could have had a HR spike as a result. Or the monitor could have picked up a cough and erroneously registered it as a QRS. Or you could have jostled your cheststrap. To reiterate what Trent said:
        Alright guys thanks alot Smile. .Although I have coughed many times before and never seen this Evil grin. You all have been great thanks again.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

You know, backstretch, based on your profile and what you say about your heart health... Better safe than sorry- You should maybe talk to your doctor about this. It could have been an early indicator of any number of conditions. Even could have been an episode of ventricular tachycardia... Go ask your doctor about wearing a holter monitor and using it while running. Or have an exercise stress test or even better, a stress echo.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

But only if your doc runs Clowning around Cool Wink
              You know, backstretch, based on your profile and what you say about your heart health... Better safe than sorry- You should maybe talk to your doctor about this. It could have been an early indicator of any number of conditions. Even could have been an episode of ventricular tachycardia... Go ask your doctor about wearing a holter monitor and using it while running. Or have an exercise stress test or even better, a stress echo.
              Well I was going to show her all my stuff at my next appointment. Personally I think she is going to be happy. Back in the summer when we had our tete et tete. I weighed 230, had blood pressure readings of ~133 / 83 even with the meds, I have been on them for awhile it's just that the BP was inching higher even with Medication . and the cholesterol was a new thing. Resting heartrate of around 72 , never saw a reading in the 60's. Saw her again Jan 3rd she was happy I had lost 20 lbs blood pressure was 128 / 77. It was such an improvement then, that she changed my every 3 month appointment to 5 (I see her June 4th) However today I weigh 182 My lowest BP reading taken at the Phcy is 116/65 and my lowest heart rate I have been able to record while sitting in the phcy is a 52. Now I grant you that big a change in 7 months can be stressfull on the heart as well. If I get another spike, I'm sure I'll be advancing my June 4th appointment. Wink

Your numbers show a remarkable improvement. Congratulations Cool
                  So I just had to get out there and see another result. First let me thank Ryan and Trent again for showing some concern, you guys must be alright........to say the least Big grin. I learned another thing as well, Don't bother using the smart record feature on the Garmin, it must use alot of estimating and predicting since it only takes a reading once every 10 seconds or so. I changed the settings to read every second and this is what the same out and back run extended to 10Km looks like. The turnaround for yesterday's run would have been at the 3.5k mark not the 5k mark of today. I hope that is what skewed the numbers.

Imminent Catastrophe

Take a breath everyone, I think Gopher Ryan is right. It's measurement error. Look, these heart rate monitors are just (relatively) inexpensive consumer products trying to do a tough job under demanding conditions. If you were in ICU, with hugely expensive monitoring equipment giving those indications under controlled conditions, and your heart rate spiked like that, you might need to worry, but while running you are not exactly in controlled conditions. Today I was running a fairly constant pace, and my HRM was indicating in the low 140's, then suddenly jumped up to 240, then back down to 72, and back to 140. If that were accurate I would not be here writing this snarky response, but would be lying on a slab somewhere. Same thing in my last race, occasional fluctuations that made no sense (two different brands of monitors, BTW). A guy I was running with in the ING Georgia Marathon last Sunday had a HRM that was indicating "0" sometimes. I'm pretty sure that was not correct, as he was most sincerely not dead. It happens now and then and when it does, I don't run to the nearest trauma center. I use a HRM, but I think that this might be a case of over-analyzing. Don't sweat it. The HRM is a guide, not a metronome.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How does he know he was not dead? Confused

Imminent Catastrophe

How does he know he was not dead? Confused
                        'cause he kept saying, "I'm not dead, I'm getting better. I feel happy!" Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JakeKnight

Look, these heart rate monitors are just (relatively) inexpensive consumer products ...
                          Did you just diss my Garmin?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------