TMI: Long runs messin' with my innards (Read 857 times)

Its probably the heat...haven't you heard of Summer Malady or the Runners Trot's?

Take my advice: Pull down you're pants and slide on the ice

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's baaaaack. And I think the issue is either Ovaltine and/or milk. I ran 8 miles with a friend on Sat....no issues afterwards, but I didn't have my post-run ovaltine and milk. Today I ran over 8 and did...a couple of hours later and my intestines are churning and making audible sounds, bad stuff going on down there. *sigh* I guess I will have to try Nesquick or Hershey's syrup in milk to find out if it's the Ovaltine or the milk. And go back to Endurox, maybe. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ovaltine would not be kind to my body, I'd blame that!!

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't know that it's the Ovaltine, though--all that's in that is cocoa powder, sugar, and vitamins/minerals. Given how common milk sensitivity issues are, it makes me suspicious that it's the milk. I think I will pick up some Hershey's syrup to see if that makes a difference. Or even just drink straight milk, maybe 8oz instead of 16. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...after doing a little research I'm starting to think lactose intolerance may be the cause of my recent issues. I think I may pick up a container of Lactaid milk just to see what happens with that. I rarely drink milk in any significant quantities, just after my runs, so that makes me suspicious. I also read that skim milk causes more issues, since it has more lactose than milk with higher fat content. Sheesh...first I start having issues with my beloved shrimp, now milk. Ugh. At least I can still eat cheese and yogurt with no issues--yay for cultured dairy!!! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Hmmm...after doing a little research I'm starting to think lactose intolerance may be the cause of my recent issues. I think I may pick up a container of Lactaid milk just to see what happens with that. I rarely drink milk in any significant quantities, just after my runs, so that makes me suspicious. I also read that skim milk causes more issues, since it has more lactose than milk with higher fat content. Sheesh...first I start having issues with my beloved shrimp, now milk. Ugh. At least I can still eat cheese and yogurt with no issues--yay for cultured dairy!!! Wink k
              Hope not, but if so....Welcome to the club, pardner.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh, I thought of you as I read that! Wink Gah...a WI girl who can't drink milk...sad. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

I don't know how soon (like immediately?) after your run you're drinking milk, but I've experienced, shall we say, gastric phenomenons the few times I've had dairy products right after a run. One time there was ice cream at the end of a half marathon. Big mistake. You may not have lactose tolerance issues--maybe just the timing. Maybe try drinking more water first or wait a little longer before drinking the milk?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I usually drink the milk as soon as I can, since I keep reading that one should intake some protein and carbs within the first 30-60 minutes after a workout--so maybe it is related to the timing. I'm having DH pick up some Lactaid milk for me to try tomorrow...just to see what that might do. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Had my usual post-run Ovaltine after my 14 miler this AM, but made with lactose free milk...no gastric issues whatsoever. Guess I know what the culprit was. Hi, my name is Kirsten...and I'm a lactose intolerant Cheesehead. k

~ Sarah Kay

Had my usual post-run Ovaltine after my 14 miler this AM, but made with lactose free milk...no gastric issues whatsoever. Guess I know what the culprit was. Hi, my name is Kirsten...and I'm a lactose intolerant Cheesehead. k
                        Yay for now knowing! You don't have to give up your after run milk. I found out that I cannot drink the milk that my aunt buys from her local farmer, but I can drink the milk from the grocery stores. Confused

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I found out that I cannot drink the milk that my aunt buys from her local farmer, but I can drink the milk from the grocery stores. Confused
                          Does she buy unpasteurized? Maybe that's the issue. k

~ Sarah Kay