From couch potato to 8 day ultra marathon event (Read 3330 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

It is not unfeasible that you could run sub 5hrs. But it is nigh on impossible to predict times for a trail marathon based on a road 1/2M. I would suggest forgetting totally about times - you aren't trying to BQ here, you are trying to get into shape for a trail ultra right? Don't worry about how fast or slow you run the marathon, concentrate on enjoying the experience and maintaining a nice steady pace.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... But it is nigh on impossible to predict times for a trail marathon based on a road 1/2M. ...

Yeah, I think so too.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Purdey

Self anointed title

To elaborate further: I have run a 4:20 on the trails which I was thrilled with and a 3:25 that I was disappointed with - one was very hilly, muddy and technical and the other was on smooth trails. My fitness was the same.

In my opinion, if you really want to finish the eventual ultra thingy you should walk all the technical sections of the trail tune up race. That especially includes the downhill sections.

This will be very hard on the ego, as people will pass you when you do this. But if you can't force enough discipline on your ego to run a tune up race according to plan you have almost no chance of accomplishing your real goal.

jpdeaux

But if you can't force enough discipline on your ego to run a tune up race according to plan you have almost no chance of accomplishing your real goal.

+G

I think this applies to more than just ultras.

In my opinion, if you really want to finish the eventual ultra thingy you should walk all the technical sections of the trail tune up race. That especially includes the downhill sections.

This will be very hard on the ego, as people will pass you when you do this. But if you can't force enough discipline on your ego to run a tune up race according to plan you have almost no chance of accomplishing your real goal.

I'm guessing you mean the technical (i.e. steep and/or uneven) downhill bits? I'd think other downhill bits would be more than ok to run.

I hear you loud and clear on the ego discipline! It was easy to go slow as long as I had my arm in a sling, but after it came off... My ego got the upper hand and I started to speed up. Now I'm whipping that ego on every run, sticking to MAF, being passed by every runner, old people, girls and once on an uphill bit even by an obese walker. It is HARD on the ego - and the need for speed is growing on me. I'm so looking forward to that 10K. Getting to speed up and hopefully getting a PR for my ego.

Running Blog: On my two feet

Those trails were way more technical than anticipated. Approximately 30kms was really technical stuff: rocks, roots, cliffs, mud, logs, marsh, steepness etc. My quads were trashed after 31kms but by perseverance I managed through the last downhills by slowly limping and could still power walk the uphills and run the flats. I finished in 7:07h, Approve Deep bows and respect to all who finished the double. Check out the teaser on Youtube. The ultra distance has to be one of the toughest in Scandinavia.

Full race report coming up someday soon in my blog.

The Goretex Transalpine will have to wait for at least another year. Although I'd have almost a full year to train for the 2012 edition I don't think it's anywhere in the approximity of enough. It would be silly and plainly disrespectful towards those responsible for the event to sign up with such slim chances to finish all 8-stages without injury. But I'll get there, sooner or later.

Running Blog: On my two feet

The Goretex Transalpine will have to wait for at least another year. Although I'd have almost a full year to train for the 2012 edition I don't think it's anywhere in the approximity of enough. It would be silly and plainly disrespectful towards those responsible for the event to sign up with such slim chances to finish all 8-stages without injury. But I'll get there, sooner or later.

I really give you credit for finding a rational way to test your progress, and for drawing a mature and reasonable conclusion from the experience.  It will be great if you can keep progressing without the tight deadline to motivate you.